PDA

View Full Version : Vinylester or Epoxy Clear Coat

pjitty
05-21-2012, 06:17 AM
So I'm at the point in my build [19' Downeast Boat], that I need to think about the finish on the wood. The question is should I go with Vinylester or Epoxy. The reason I thought about Vinylester is I can get vinylester with UV inhibitors, not so with Epoxy. I plan on finishing the clear coat with Automotive Clear Coat [on top of the Vinylester/Epoxy]. If anybody knows of another system for Bright work please chime in, I'm open to all sugestions... Thanks in advance...

Joe D

pjitty
05-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Just thought I'd mention, the wood on the boat is White Oak, Cherry, Hondourus Mahogony. Thanks again...

Joe D

JimD
05-21-2012, 11:19 AM
More info would be helpful. Is this an epoxy glued boat? If so is there any epoxy already on the wood you intend to finish bright or is it completely bare? Are you talking about bright finishing rails and a few other accents or the entire boat? As for anyone knowing another system for finishing bright there's a million boats out there using traditional varnish which might be less trouble for you in the long run and nothing looks better.

pipefitter
05-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Surely, automotive clear coat has UV inhibitors in it by this day in age, especially considering all of the failures related to UV with initial base coat/clear coat systems years ago. I think the only place that vinylester holds up better against epoxy is with regards to high heat over say 120 or so degrees F.

Have to agree with varnish being the better choice.