PDA

View Full Version : Larry's scow?

Kermit
09-21-2000, 06:07 PM
It's LICHEN--20' by 8', trailerable, mast on a tabernacle, gaff rigged, and plywood. I'd forgotten Sam Devlin had this one. Any way you want it, plans to finished boat. http://www.devlinboat.com/dclichen.htm

Bear's Oil
09-22-2000, 07:02 AM
Maybe a tad small...but I'm LIKEN' it!!!!

Mike Vogdes
09-22-2000, 07:48 AM
How bout Devlins "Moss Rock", very similar but much more elbow room. The web page says 12' beam however the study print says 10'

Kermit
09-22-2000, 12:55 PM
If it's small, stretch it a foot or two maybe? It would still be 8' wide for over-the-road travel, while giving you a bit more room. I'd ask Sam Devlin about that one. It's easier to make more room inside a boat than to decide whether to shorten a berth or galley space. Even an extra foot might make all the difference for your needs, Larry. Of course then you start thinking about whether to keep the rig the same or not. That's a bit more complex thinking.

The extra 10' for MOSS ROCK is pretty pricey. Devlin will build LICHEN for 30k, but MOSS ROCK will run that up to 152k!!! His products are beautiful, but they ain't cheep!

[This message has been edited by Kermit (edited 09-22-2000).]

Mike Vogdes
09-22-2000, 03:18 PM
Yes I thought the same thing when I saw the 152K. That must be a mistake, if not thats one hellava expensive pile a plywood.

Kermit
09-23-2000, 03:27 PM
Devlin has "piles of plywood" that give sticker shock a whole new meaning. I think he has them up to about 400k before they get tweaked with options. In Sam's defense, I've seen some of his boats, and they are pretty incredible. This ain't your father's pile of plywood! There are usually some of his shop's products at the WB Festival in Port Townsend.

ishmael
09-23-2000, 03:40 PM
No mistake I'll wager though it hit me in the gut too; that kinda price for a glorified scow. It points to the skill and labor involved in this type of construction...skills not involved in banging rough cheap planks into a big box ala the original scows. Oh, for a virgin forest in front of me.

Also, don't forget the differences in volume between twenty and thirty feet are geometeric not arithmetic.

Bear's Oil
09-23-2000, 03:44 PM
Money IS a factor. SWMBO refuses to take a second job! I briefly considered building a smaller scow, selling it, and moving on to something bigger. However, I got rational. A scow, home built by Stradivarius, would depreciate faster than a Yugo!

ASSC has a 26' sprit rigged flat bottom garvey. Also a larger Deadrise garvey. Sending a check to the Smithsonian today.
The dearise version looks as if it could be gorgeous.

Bear's Oil
10-03-2000, 05:31 PM
Larry's Scow seems to have run aground. You all realize that I ACTUALLY intend to go through with this, someday?
As she stands: 25' +/- LOA, no more than 8'beam, sprit-boom rigged (no winches or complicated stuff), some deadrise atleast in the foreward end, four cycle or diesel outboard in a well. A sitting headroom+ cabin, rudimentary but cozy enough to take a nap out of the sun or to curl up in with a good book, dockside.
I picture dark green, buff deck and white cabin sides.
Whats the next move?? I need help!! deadrise?? flat?? centerboard?? leeboard??

[This message has been edited by Larry W. LaBounty (edited 10-03-2000).]

Stephen Hunter
10-05-2000, 11:24 AM
What about getting in touch with Phil Bolger and seeing if he ever did complete plans
for the 28' scow schooner on page 202 of "Boats with an open mind" I've been
daydreaming about this one for some time. He'd probably be able to tell you exactly
how to alter the rig to what ever tickles your fancy. Although the gaff schooner rig
would be costly doesn't it look grand.

Ken Bascom
10-12-2000, 09:54 AM
Don't know if you've seen it, but Parker Marine has 33 foot and 45 foot scow plans. The 33 foor has a beam of 11'9". You might want to give it a peek at http://www.parker-marine.com/parker2_1.htm.

Bear's Oil
10-12-2000, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys. The Scintilla looks like a neat boat, but I AM a scow purist. (If you can apply "purist" to such a general design)

I have the study plans for Parker's scows.... too big. 25' x 7' max.

Really looking hard at Chapelle's 26' garvey.