PDA

View Full Version : How come?

Meli
05-13-2012, 05:36 AM
It's mainly left wing women hang out in the Bilge?

seanz
05-13-2012, 05:55 AM
Recently, on another thread, we were discussing Armored Personnel Carriers......I'll just climb into an imaginary APC and watch this from a distance.

Toodles.
:D

skuthorp
05-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Numbers are too small to extrapolate, for that matter so are the numbers of men. There are not many regular participants in the bilge, there were once more but partisan and personal abuse has driven them upstairs or away completely. It doesn't take much unpleasantness to wreck a whole platform. Some have gone themselves, some are suspended, some are still with us.
As for your question, maybe there are none here at present, or maybe they had a look and thought better of it.

Chris Coose
05-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Wood boat enthusiasts tend to be excentric. Most excentrics are liberal.

More men engage in wood boat ownership than women. Therefore, the predominance of men. To answer your next question.

2MeterTroll
05-13-2012, 06:13 AM
because liberal ladies are used to gruff opinionated boat builders.
the liberal leaning ladies seem to find the smell of burning sawdust and Stockholm tar sexy?
having built/repaired wood boats the liberal ladies understand that the bilge is where all the muck and lost things you really needed but that disappeared while you weren't looking.
Cause us rats are an interesting lot.

those are my guesses I am sure some brave soul will come by to debate them.
Probably a married one so his fear index is maxed out.

botebum
05-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Right wing women tend to stay in their "traditional" roles as wife, mother, housekeeper, etc.
So, to answer your question- The right wing women are barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen making their homes happy places for the men and children they serve. They have no time or interest for things like wooden boats, politics or religion (beyond knowing that by serving their husband, they are serving God).

This is gonna be a really fun thread :D

Doug

Mrleft8
05-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Because the conservative women are mostly barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, where they ought to be.
Concordia33 is an exception to the rule.... :D

Phillip Allen
05-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Right wing women tend to stay in their "traditional" roles as wife, mother, housekeeper, etc.
So, to answer your question- The right wing women are barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen making their homes happy places for the men and children they serve. They have no time or interest for things like wooden boats, politics or religion (beyond knowing that by serving their husband, they are serving God).

This is gonna be a really fun thread :D

Doug

Oh, Doug... that thought passed me and landed on you...

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Meli, all the young ones like us, Elf, Skip and Spin are left wing.:d

But there are a bunch of REAL "old women" on here who are definitely Right wing.
Politically right of Attila the Hun. Nonstop whining about the rest of us.
BF, Pefjr, Donn. Just to name a few!:D

Meli
05-13-2012, 06:30 AM
No seriously,
Is it that we define ourselves as left wing and therefore are more interested in politics?
Or because we are left wing, closer to being able to engage with men on all sorts of subjects?
Or maybe we're just cantankerous :D

botebum
05-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Meli, Left wing women want to be like men. Right wing women know their place (and it's not on a wooden boat forum).

Sucks that when all the usual suspects show up, I'll have gone to work:rolleyes:

Doug

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 06:40 AM
I think its probably to do with being Left wing is a matter of choice for us based on our understanding of the need to nurture and support whereas a lot of the Right wing rhetoric is all based on the need to control and maintain the status quo. Only women who are willing to fight for their point of view challenge those traditional views and are interested in debating them.
If you don't find that sort of right wing rhetoric seriously offensive why would you bother engaging in debate with those people which is what the majority of Bilge debate is about.

Meli
05-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Pigs bum Doug.:p

Men think funny and smell odd.

The smell I rather like, the thinking.... well.. let's just say it's different :D

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Left wing women want to be like men

Yes Doug, I spend hours dreaming about being just like you. My life is one long misery when I realise that I can never reach that unattainable goal, the perfection I long for:arg:D

Phillip Allen
05-13-2012, 06:44 AM
I will check in after I return from the gun range and see if Doug is still recognizable :)

botebum
05-13-2012, 06:46 AM
I've got to shower and get to work. I'm tempted to take the laptop with me but I'd never get anything done:D

Doug

Meli
05-13-2012, 06:46 AM
I think its probably to do with being Left wing is a matter of choice for us based on our understanding of the need to nurture and support whereas a lot of the Right wing rhetoric is all based on the need to control and maintain the status quo. Only women who are willing to fight for their point of view challenge those traditional views and are interested in debating them.
If you don't find that sort of right wing rhetoric seriously offensive why would you bother engaging in debate with those people which is what the majority of Bilge debate is about.

Crikey Soph, your punctuation's slipping.:D

So, you seem to be saying that left wing women are here to uphold the Gaia corner?

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Crikey Soph, your punctuation's slipping.:D

Mother's day, I have a little liquid fortification in a glass and I'm distracted a bit at the moment reading the new Hilary Mantel that some smart person gave me.:D

seanz
05-13-2012, 06:56 AM

But there are a bunch of REAL "old women" on here who are definitely Right wing.

Cough.

:)

skuthorp
05-13-2012, 07:02 AM
:d:d!!!:d

Paul Pless
05-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Because the conservative women are mostly barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, where they ought to be.

So is Sugarbritches.:d

Meli
05-13-2012, 07:08 AM
Katherine rarely posts.

seanz
05-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Katherine rarely posts.

"11,500 posts of a rare quality", is what I think you meant to say.

m2c1Iw
05-13-2012, 07:13 AM
This question has an existential element and after considerable thought and research I propose the answer is existentail angst.

Meli
05-13-2012, 07:14 AM
I think women are more naturally inclined to be left wing.

Paul Pless
05-13-2012, 07:14 AM
"11,500 posts of a rare quality", is what I think you meant to say.When we met I had about 2,000 posts and Kat about 5,000. For perspective, at that time, Donn, Joe, and Meer all already had over 20K posts.

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 07:16 AM
existentail angst.

Meli I think he's implying that we have "angst" about possessing tails!:arg
Maybe we have horns and cloven feet too!

Paul Pless
05-13-2012, 07:17 AM
I think women are more naturally inclined to be left wing.

I think men are more naturally inclined to be sane. . .:D

Meli
05-13-2012, 07:17 AM
This question has an existential element and after considerable thought and research I propose the answer is existentail angst.

yer, well women are natural existentialists too. :p

Criticisms of existentialist philosophers include the assertions that they confuse their use of terminology and contradict themselves :D

Meli
05-13-2012, 07:20 AM
I think men are more naturally inclined to be sane. . .:D

Yuh right Paul. :D

m2c1Iw
05-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Meli I think he's implying that we have "angst" about possessing tails!:arg
Maybe we have horns and cloven feet too!

No finding the bait irresistible but as Doug beat me to the right wing chauvinist response I had to come up with someting hopefully criptic, did it work.

Mrleft8
05-13-2012, 07:33 AM
I've got to shower and get to work. I'm tempted to take the laptop with me but I'd never get anything done:D

Doug
You shower before work?!

Friggin' Nancy boy!.......

Meli
05-13-2012, 07:34 AM
uh, OK.

I thought you were going to bring up those french dudes and dudessess. Good, I never got my head around Simone de Beauvoir and Satre :D

ChrisBen
05-13-2012, 07:37 AM

So is Sugarbritches.:dBarefoot and pregnant? :d

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Friggin' Nancy boy!.......

So does that make him a "her"?
That would skew the numbers!!

seanz
05-13-2012, 07:39 AM
You shower before work?!

He's just saying it, it doesn't mean anything.

:D

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 07:42 AM
You shower before work?!

Who knows what he was doing before he showered!! :D

Mrleft8
05-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Who knows what he was doing before he showered!! :D

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww www!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......
Lalalalalala!!!!!!! I can't heeeeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr youuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

Meli
05-13-2012, 07:48 AM
If you'd been here longer, you'd know :D

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 07:51 AM
That wasn't a question:d
I've heard all the "Doug stories":arg

Paul Pless
05-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Who knows what he was doing before he showered!! :Dhorrid!

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 07:55 AM
horrid!

This from the man who keeps "Sugarbritches" barefoot and pregnant so she can't come on the forum:d

Meli
05-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Well there you go, maybe left wing women are more able to cope with the "nasty " realities of blokes :D

Paul Pless
05-13-2012, 08:12 AM
This from the man who keeps "Sugarbritches" barefoot and pregnant so she can't come on the forum:dQuite the opposite actually. I do my best to pack her off to work everyday. . .:d

Seriously, I don't know why Kat doesn't participate as much as she used to. Other than to say that many many friends that her and I used to come here to chat with nightly are gone - either passed away like Chuck, David, Norm, or Ken (i really miss ken and chuck) or they just don't post here any longer, folks like Margo, and Ed Harrow and even Bertenshaw and Steven Bauer and Lew Barrett and JCSOH check in rarely. The tone is so very different these days. Just look how Smalser is treated. He's pretty far right, but it used to be he could come down here and lend his perspective on a political thread then have a pleasant chat on forestry or log home building or boats or dogs or whatever. Now anything he posts is met with scathing replies from much of the left and he's been chased away. Its quite ridiculous. . .

Mrleft8
05-13-2012, 08:20 AM
One occasionally gets what one gives. When one is reliably caustic in commentary, one is reliably treated as caustic.
I, for example, am treated with the respect that I expect from most forumites.... And from some forumites the respect that I expect is somewhat less than overwhelming.

Paul Pless
05-13-2012, 08:27 AM
I, for example, am treated with the respect that I expect from most forumites.... And from some forumites the respect that I expect is somewhat less than overwhelming.fart

Meli
05-13-2012, 08:37 AM
maybe Kat doesnt post much anymore because

1. she has a real person to talk to now
2. Now your married, stuff is more private and "jointly owned"
3. she's too busy cleaning up after you :D

The Bigfella
05-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Cough.

:)

See what I mean, Sean?

Hello Sophie. How's things?

Farfalla
05-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Whinge, whinge, whinge....

See what I mean, Sean?

It would seem my observation was true at least in your case. :d

Donn and some of your other Right wing mates haven't shown up yet.

I'm busy reading a great book!
And yourself?

bobbys
05-13-2012, 10:45 AM
I let my wife read some posts once in awhile, Mainly the Good stuff from Donn and Bob Selsmer and sometimes we laugh at Glenn and DavidG's posts. I show her what real commies look and think like!.

I do let her read SamF's most excellent posts!, In fact i Make her write them down and we discuss them before bed time

But Really she has no time to post what with cleaning, scrubbing ,getting me Hot Cawffee and cold beers.

Not only that she is only allowed to be in the Bedroom , kitchen and Laundry room.

If Company comes over she can sit in the Parlor if she wears a pretty party dress to my liking and only speaks if spoken to..

So all in all i do not want her influenced by you Meli with your wild womans lib stuff, Elf would put ideas in her head and Spin is nice but a little to independent, Katherine boss's her hubby around, Katy is to earth mother, I do not want my wife to have Critters like Elli May Clampett and spend to much time away from her chores..

The English broads are stuffy and would want to buy to many outfits for High Tea .. Bet they have those gloves that come up to their elbows

I kinda like Bernette though she could work on my boat with my wife as long as she does not put crazy ideas in her pretty little head.

Peerie Maa
05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I let my wife read some posts once in awhile, Mainly the Good stuff from Donn and Bob Selsmer and sometimes we laugh at Glenn and DavidG's posts. I show her what real commies look and think like!.

I do let her read SamF's most excellent posts!, In fact i Make her write them down and we discuss them before bed time

But Really she has no time to post what with cleaning, scrubbing ,getting me Hot Cawffee and cold beers.

Not only that she is only allowed to be in the Bedroom , kitchen and Laundry room.

If Company comes over she can sit in the Parlor if she wears a pretty party dress to my liking and only speaks if spoken to..

So all in all i do not want her influenced by you Meli with your wild womans lib stuff, Elf would put ideas in her head and Spin is nice but a little to independent, Katherine boss's her hubby around, Katy is to earth mother, I do not want my wife to have Critters like Elli May Clampett and spend to much time away from her chores..

The English broads are stuffy and would want to buy to many outfits for High Tea .. Bet they have those gloves that come up to their elbows

I kinda like Bernette though she could work on my boat with my wife as long as she does not put crazy ideas in her pretty little head.
There is nothing stuffy about our Broads.
http://www.greatrail.com/media/6436829/Norfolk-Broads-3-c-Visit-No.jpg

switters
05-13-2012, 11:28 AM
any one hear from beaky lately?

I liked reading her norfolk broads threads.

botebum
05-13-2012, 02:54 PM
You shower before work?!I usually shower after work and before work.
You never know who you might meet.
Today was a good day ;)

Doug

Chip-skiff
05-13-2012, 07:36 PM
I enjoy the posts of most of the women who frequent the Bilge, without feeling the need to impose right/left categories.

There are some who wade into the political wrangling that I'd characterise as right-wing. Others, left. But for the most part I don't bother. They say what's on their minds and I read it, and am glad that they're here with all us brass-bound, obsessed, self-regarding, blinkered, bloviating blokes.

May they be blessed for their patience and good humour.

Dumah
05-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Sanity is optional, but hardly necessary

Cheers, Dumah,
Halifax, NS

Nanoose
05-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Define liberal.

Chip-skiff
05-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Define liberal.

liberal |ˈlib(ə)rəl|
adjective
1 open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values : they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people.
favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms : liberal citizenship laws.
(in a political context) favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform : a liberal democratic state.
( Liberal) of or characteristic of Liberals or a Liberal Party.
( Liberal) (in the UK) of or relating to the Liberal Democrat Party : the Liberal leader.
Theology regarding many traditional beliefs as dispensable, invalidated by modern thought, or liable to change.

2 [ attrib. ] (of education) concerned mainly with broadening a person's general knowledge and experience, rather than with technical or professional training.

3 (esp. of an interpretation of a law) broadly construed or understood; not strictly literal or exact : they could have given the 1968 Act a more liberal interpretation.

4 given, used, or occurring in generous amounts : liberal amounts of wine had been consumed.
(of a person) giving generously : Sam was too liberal with the wine.

noun
a person of liberal views.
( Liberal) a supporter or member of a Liberal Party.

The usage adopted by the American radical right-wing has not yet made it into the dictionary.

Durnik
05-13-2012, 11:36 PM
The usage adopted by the American radical right-wing has not yet made it into the dictionary.

+42 ;-)

The Bigfella
05-14-2012, 12:27 AM
From Sophie:

It would seem my observation was true at least in your case. :d

Donn and some of your other Right wing mates haven't shown up yet.

I'm busy reading a great book!
And yourself?

I'm out in the real world... having a ball.

I've been picking up women... both in the left wing and the right wing

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/Last%20Java%20and%20Sumatra/018-6.jpg

I'd picked three more up by 9:10am.... but they were all on the rear wing. Its amazing how "worshipful" the local old ducks are when you give them a lift.

Thanks for asking.