PDA

View Full Version : just fired off the smoker

Paul Pless
05-12-2012, 06:22 AM
15 pounds of pork spare ribs going on shortly. Smoked over cherry charcoal and seasoned split apple for the next six to eight hours. They've been in the fridge all night covered in fresh crushed garlic, course black pepper, and kosher salt. I'll baste them once every half hour or so with a mixture of equal parts cider, vinegar, olive oil, and clarified bacon grease. Katherine likes hers 'dry', so one slab will be sliced for her. The other slab I'll cover with a simple barbecue sauce of ketchup, brown sugar and jalapeno relish and finish by caramelizing on the Weber.

Served with fresh coleslaw, sliced onion and pickles, and iced cold beer.

Hungry?

to paraphrase Vincent Vega, "I dig on swine."

Paul Pless
05-12-2012, 06:27 AM
That's the problem Donn. Anticipation. I normally don't eat much of a breakfast, but I have to today because I'm making myself hungry.:d

John Bell
05-12-2012, 06:52 AM
My smoker is going off in a few minutes. Pork ribs and half chickens. Should be ready early this afternoon, then going down to the Fox Theater in ATL to see A Prairie Home Companion live.

brad9798
05-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Sound GREAT to me, Paul!!!

B

Mrleft8
05-12-2012, 09:24 AM
I smell a rib-off at an upcoming EBS.......

Paul Pless
05-12-2012, 09:26 AM
I smell a rib-off at an upcoming EBS.......We might be able to work something out. But for I have no way to get my smoker to your place. . .

seanz
05-12-2012, 06:40 PM
We might be able to work something out. But for I have no way to get my smoker to your place. . .

Put some wheels on it.......

Go on.

:D

Paul Pless
05-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Maybe I'll do something the day before I leave that travels well, say a pork shoulder and a turkey, or maybe a cold smoked Lake Michigan Chinook. . .

LeeG
05-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Perfect, just came from a party with a big glazed pig, I shall ride slowly tonight

botebum
05-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Any pics of today's efforts, Paul, or were you just blowing smoke?

Doug

Paul Pless
05-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Any pics of today's efforts, Paul, or were you just blowing smoke?

Doug

There so perfectly sloppy that Kat is sitting next to me sucking on the bones topless. What could be better: barbecue, beer, bourbon, and boobs .

sorry no pics. . .

botebum
05-12-2012, 07:44 PM
There so perfectly sloppy that Kat is sitting next to me sucking on the bones topless. What could be better: barbecue, beer, bourbon, and boobs .
Sharing time has officially ended ...

Doug

seanz
05-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Awww.......ain't love grand?

Paul Pless
05-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Awww.......ain't love grand?

:Djealous?

Mrleft8
05-13-2012, 09:00 AM
You could always order a smoker from some web site, and have it delivered here. I'd even put it together and pre-season it for you with pig fat and Cherry wood. Then you could just bring the congealed meat products with you in a cooler, to insert into said smoker when you arrive.

seanz
05-13-2012, 06:42 PM
jealous?

No, not one tiny little bit. I'm happy for you both.

You could always order a smoker from some web site, and have it delivered here. I'd even put it together and pre-season it for you with pig fat and Cherry wood. Then you could just bring the congealed meat products with you in a cooler, to insert into said smoker when you arrive.

That pre-seasoning is a complicated and challenging task, you may need some advice, just to make sure you're doing it right.

switters
05-13-2012, 06:46 PM
this thread is killing me,

seanz
05-13-2012, 07:09 PM
You have the tools?

Good question.

Paul Pless
05-13-2012, 07:13 PM
You have the tools?I was wondering what kinda guy is challenging others to come to his place for a 'smoke off', and he doesn't even have a smoker.

But then I got to thinking, lefty's a very clever guy he is. . .;):D

Canoez
05-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I was wondering what kinda guy is challenging others to come to his place for a 'smoke off', and he doesn't even have a smoker.

C'mon - if you're gonna have a "smoke-off" ya gotta have more than one smoker... Then again, maybe Lefty needs a new one! :D

Paul Pless
05-13-2012, 09:38 PM
IIRC lefty uses a Weber. . .

Nothing wrong with that mind you. I was the same way back when I was an amateur smoker myself, say up to around age 14 or so. . .

BrianW
05-14-2012, 01:32 AM

sorry no pics. . .

Clean up must have been fun. ;)

Mrleft8
05-14-2012, 06:41 AM
You have the tools?
Yes. I haven't yet given all my tools to ungrateful snobs.

I was wondering what kinda guy is challenging others to come to his place for a 'smoke off', and he doesn't even have a smoker.

I've had a smoker since before you were weaned off the sugar teat.

C'mon - if you're gonna have a "smoke-off" ya gotta have more than one smoker... Then again, maybe Lefty needs a new one! :D
As of a couple of weeks ago my smoker was fine..... I prolly otter make sure there's no squirrels living in there now though....

IIRC lefty uses a Weber. . .

Nothing wrong with that mind you. I was the same way back when I was an amateur smoker myself, say up to around age 14 or so. . .
A "Weber"?.... No Slim.... No Weber.... I'm currently using a "Char-Master" Or something like that.... Not as nice as the home made one I had 30 years ago, but better than a Brinkman Smoke-N-Grill....
You talk a lotta smack for a lardassed redneck...... You wanna go? C'mon Slim..... Put up or shut up.... I've offered to host the event..... Or are you too much of a Nancy boy to stand up for yourself?....