PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on bit braces.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Thank you; a pleasure to read. I own a fairly absurd number of braces because they are one of the cheapest tools to acquire at car boot sales and on fleabay...and an equally absurd number of bits for them!

skuthorp
05-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Thank you; a pleasure to read. I own a fairly absurd number of braces because they are one of the cheapest tools to acquire at car boot sales and on fleabay...and an equally absurd number of bits for them!
Huh, you and I should get together, we could stock a shop! I'm reading up about sharpening them at present.

PeterSibley
05-11-2012, 07:02 PM

Are you referring to something Andrew?

PeterSibley
05-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Ah ! The penny drops, we Australians will see it in 2 months! :d

RFNK
05-12-2012, 06:29 AM
Unless you subscribe to the much cheaper online version. : )

Rick

PeterSibley
05-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Unfortunately I find online magazines quite unsatisfying .:(

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Yes, yer actual paper copy of Woodenboat, good as ever.

Peerie Maa
05-13-2012, 05:49 AM
Yes, yer actual paper copy of Woodenboat, good as ever.
Delivered to Oz the traditional Wooden Boat way, down round the Cape and running your easting down. Hard tack, salt beef and daily floggings until morale improves.

PeterSibley
05-13-2012, 06:14 AM
At least the down easting gives us something to look forward to, we hear stories of stories and chafe at the bit, all hot and sweaty waiting for our fix. Eventually it arrives! So slowly........

Tom Jackson
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Andrew. My brace came to me from my father, who had it as long as I can remember. Those are the best tools, to me! My favorites are a sailor's palm and a block plane that belonged to my uncle, who was killed in the Pacific early in World War II.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Wasn't Peter. Was me. ;).

One thing that I would add is that a joist brace is a really handy tool around boats. You can stand on staging when working on topsides and not feel that you are at risk of stepping backwards... espescially when dealing with screws... and they also allow you to work in odd corners inside the boat. In fact I'd say a joist brace is an essential shipwright's tool.

Joist braces are quite rare butwhen a friend needed one I persuaded our local jobbing agricultural engineers to convert a cheap as chips regular brace into a joist brace by cutting and welding... they charged 7!

Hughman
05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
I enjoyed this one too, and seem to own considerable more examples than I'll ever need. I should take ACB's path and convert some to Joist Braces. Here's a fellow traveler: http://www.mv-dreamer.com/CustomJoistBrace.htm

PeterSibley
05-14-2012, 07:05 PM
I have a very useful modification to my bits, I took the least used and cut it back to the base then brazed an adapter for modern hex shank drivers, square drive, roofing screws ,phillips etc. Very useful indeed.