PDA

View Full Version : The Case of the Cowardly Candidate

David G
05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
From Dana Milbank. A short list of examples. And he doesn't even mention the bullying stuff - another sign of cowardice:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/mitt-romney-wont-stand-up-to-his-own-party/2012/05/08/gIQAO7BUBU_story.html

And Romney does push back against audience members when he wishes to. When a woman challenged him from the left at a campaign event last August, he cut her off, saying, “You had your turn, madam! Let me have mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qKXKElB9Kms#%21).”

But when it comes to intolerance on his side, he is not so brave. Last year, Romney, to his credit, dismissed the Obama birth-certificate issue, saying, “The citizenship test has been passed (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20053484-503544.html).” But earlier this year, Romney appeared with Donald Trump to receive the endorsement of the most famous man associated with the “birther” movement. Trump, who still hasn’t entirely abandoned the birth-certificate issue, campaigned for Romney, taping phone messages and doing radio interviews.

Now Romney has another chance at a Sister Souljah moment. This weekend, he’s giving the commencement address at Liberty University, the Christian school founded by Jerry Falwell. Think he’ll use that forum to tell conservatives to stop questioning Obama’s religion and patriotism?

Don’t count on it.

Paul Pless
05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
How does a Mormon get invited to speak at a Baptist college?

Tall Boy
05-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Hmmm, coward?...doper?....tough to decide.......

John of Phoenix
05-11-2012, 03:12 PM
How does a Mormon get invited to speak at a Baptist college?"Politics makes strange bedfellows."

Who gets best odds on converting the other?

Bobcat
05-11-2012, 03:22 PM

He gets the all but certain GOP nomination for president

wardd
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM

because the president is a moslem

Nicholas Scheuer
05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Obama is a Moslem, Wardd? You're as big a liar as your Candidate.

John Smith
05-11-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm a little curious as to how the fun and games in school is going to play. Bullying is an issue these days, and this would make it seem as if Romney was one of the bullies. He doesn't remember the incident, but he remembers the boy it involved, and is sure it wasn't because he was gay.

Does anyone really believe this man would be a better president than the one we have?

Cedric Rhyn
05-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Is there any reason why that should not be? I thought that in a "free" country people could follow any religion that they wished.
Cedric Rhyn

wardd
05-11-2012, 08:27 PM
it was humor

Chip-skiff
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
it was humor

So I gathered. But I tend to remember who posts what. And you aren't a fool, my friend.

skuthorp
05-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Because it's all a fraud anyway.

Paul Pless
05-11-2012, 08:53 PM
And you aren't a fool, my friend.just majuscularly challenged. . .

Durnik
05-12-2012, 02:29 AM
Hmmm, coward?...doper?....tough to decide.......

Hmm, Romney the coward & Bush, the doper.. The 'party of responsibility' sure seems ethically challenged..

enjoy
bobby

Tall Boy
05-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Hmm, Romney the coward & Bush, the doper.. The 'party of responsibility' sure seems ethically challenged..

enjoy
bobby

I was refering to the doper currently occupying the white house..........

Keith Wilson
05-14-2012, 07:51 AM
the dopers . . I would worry about somebody who didn't do that, at least now and then, when he was 20. Left, right or center, I think there should be a statue of limitations for those in public office on personal stuff like sex, drugs, or rock and roll - say 20 years? 15 even.

Durnik
05-14-2012, 12:03 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Durnik http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=3409642#post3409642)

enjoy
bobby

I was refering to the doper currently occupying the white house..........

Of course you were.. Let's see -

Obama was born & raised in a lower middle income family by a divorced & twice married mother, experimented with drugs, dropped them & rose (far) above that.

Bush was born to second generation wealth, went to the finest private schools & wanted for nothing.. So he hit coke up like the spoiled rich kid he is.. & lied about quitting drugs, including booze.. & has never risen above his spoiled rich kid status..

Yepper - Republicans, the party of 'responsibility', is ethically challenged.

I pretty much agree with Keith.. amazingly enough, this means Bush is still a fair target.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

Keith Wilson
05-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Amazingly enough, this means Bush is still a fair target.. ;-)There's no shortage of things for which we can criticize Mr Bush. That's WAY down the list.

Paul Pless
05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I think there should be a statue of limitations for those in public office on personal stuff like sex, drugs, or rock and roll - say 20 years?By such a rule, I shouldn't run for office for. . . . . . .quite a while!

fishrswim
05-14-2012, 11:41 PM

There you go. A lie repeated often enough becomes the truth. Basic republican campaign strategy.

BTW there is no religious test for public office in this country, just in case you were wondering.

Durnik
05-15-2012, 12:10 AM
because the president is a moslem..

sarcasm as a lost art..

enjoy
bobby

Tall Boy
05-15-2012, 04:47 AM
Of course you were.. Let's see -

Obama was born & raised in a lower middle income family by a divorced & twice married mother, experimented with drugs, dropped them & rose (far) above that.

Bush was born to second generation wealth, went to the finest private schools & wanted for nothing.. So he hit coke up like the spoiled rich kid he is.. & lied about quitting drugs, including booze.. & has never risen above his spoiled rich kid status..

Yepper - Republicans, the party of 'responsibility', is ethically challenged.

I pretty much agree with Keith.. amazingly enough, this means Bush is still a fair target.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby
I see you prefer the backward view.

John Smith
05-15-2012, 07:54 AM

Some find looking back inconvenient and would rather we not do it. Why then should we look back at Washington, Lincoln, or either Roosevelt?

We would be wise, I think, to look back, much more closely at Reagan.

Past presidents were who they were, which is not necessarily what we would like them to have been. They should be given credit where it is deserved, and blamed when that is deserved. Most importantly, we should learn from their successes and their failures.

Durnik
05-15-2012, 11:12 AM

Short version of John Smith -

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

enjoy
bobby

Tall Boy
05-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Short version of John Smith -

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

enjoy
bobby

Guess we're doomed then.

Lew Barrett
05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
To paraphrase the punch line of an old joke, "What you mean we?"

Durnik
05-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Compilation from Doonesbury..

"To this day it troubles me. What a senseless, stupid, idiotic thing to do."
-- Thomas Buford, who witnessed a Romney-led attack on a gay teenager

"It was vicious."
-- Philip Maxwell, another witness

"It was horrible. It's something I have thought about a lot since then."
-- John Lauber, the student who was attacked

"You know, I don't, I don't remember that particular incident."
-- Mitt Romney

This is one 'history' we might ought to be paying attention to.. yet, strangely enough, I'll wager much of the conservative base will consider this to be a plus.. & that is a very sad commentary on America, today.

enjoy
bobby