PDA

View Full Version : Your tax dinero at work

Reynard38
05-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Even a liberal might get upset by this...

http://www.wthr.com/video?clipId=7054149&topVideoCatNo=103348&autoStart=true

2MeterTroll
05-08-2012, 07:58 PM
ummm; ya and there is billions on the other end in rich folks loop holes; do you actually think this one is not being exploited by every Tom, Juan, and Alexi at every economic level? knock this loop hole out and half the hill would be having heart-attacks. Not to mention the have as many babies as you can overpopulation is our right religious.

ccmanuals
05-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Watch the pennies while the dollars fly out the windows.

Phillip Allen
05-08-2012, 08:47 PM
no outrage?... we wonders why?

Glen Longino
05-08-2012, 09:07 PM
no outrage?... we wonders why?

Go for it!
Show us some outrage!
If not outrage, at least show us some angst!
If you can't muster up any angst, then I'll settle for a little peevishness!;)

Reynard38
05-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty peeved about it. I don't mind seeing my tax dollars going to help kids here in the US, but I don't like the idea of some illegal getting a refund for some ficticious Nino's in Mexico.
And yes this pisses me off as much as GE not paying any taxes on billions in income.
Wrong is wrong.

Phillip Allen
05-08-2012, 09:36 PM
working with Mexicans (no idea if he was legal or not... legal in theory)... one 19 year old guy told me he had 18 dependants... I couldn't figure out how that worked but now I know... he wasn't the least bit appologetic

Phillip Allen
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
I suppose it might be a political expedient... "we'll do this for you if you do that for us"

nautiguy
05-08-2012, 10:03 PM
So my first question concerns the size of the refund. Except for the Earned Income Tax Credit, the IRS will only refund what was withheld. If someone is getting a refund check for more than $20,000 and had withholding at 15%, that would mean that they had gross income in excess of $140,000. Not bad for a minimum wage drywall hanger or strawberry picker.
Secondly, there is nothing wrong with declaring absent children as dependents. Think about college students or non-custodial children. The report throws up some huge numbers that may or may not be real, but the basic deductibility is written into the tax code.

I claim BS on this one.

Ian McColgin
05-08-2012, 10:21 PM
There are so many things wrong with this story - smells like a Fox Fraud.

There has been an upsurge in illegal immigrants filing taxes which is directly tied to the fact that almost all immigration law reforms involve paying taxes.

But does that mean people are taking huge deductions. Nautiguy pretty much puts paid to the likelihood. Since the IRS information is not available to anyone, the question of exactly how the hysterical numbers were fabricated remains interesting.

Phillip Allen
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
There are so many things wrong with this story - smells like a Fox Fraud.

There has been an upsurge in illegal immigrants filing taxes which is directly tied to the fact that almost all immigration law reforms involve paying taxes.

But does that mean people are taking huge deductions. Nautiguy pretty much puts paid to the likelihood. Since the IRS information is not available to anyone, the question of exactly how the hysterical numbers were fabricated remains interesting.

you have declaired the numbers to be hysterical but admit you don't know in the same sentence

Tom Hunter
05-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Its tax fraud pure and simple, its not limited to illegal immegrants, many people claim children they do not have, or that do not exists. Its one of the most common forms of tax fraud. I don't think of this as a liberal vs. conservative issue, its fraud pure and simple. Also, its not a loophole to claim a child on your taxes, I claim my daughter. Its fraud to claim children that are not your dependents and fraud is not explointing a loophole.

One of the reasons the IRS does not investigage this is that the dollar value of the individual fraud is low. Another is that the tax code is so complex that people with more money can get away with much larger frauds, or try them, and the IRS is focused on multimillion dollar frauds. That does not mean this is unimportant, but in the great scheme of things there are bigger fish to fry.

Dan McCosh
05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Beat me to it. The reason the guy isn't showing his face is he apparently is filing the fraudulent returns and charging for it. Might note that a niece or nephew isn't a legal dependent. Interesting that the narrator alluded to another scam--the IRS regularly collects SS taxes from illegal immigrants, who will never be able to collect any benefits.

Ian McColgin
05-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Phillip, try reading what I write and then try thinking, but let me try another way to see if you can get the point. I happily cited nautiguy's very lucid look at what it would take for the Fox numbers to have been true. That shows that the story fails the sniff test. Secondly, I pointed out that Fox can't actually know actual numbers because the IRS does not release them.

The kernal of fact that Fox exploded into a lie is that there are indeed more illegals filing taxes. This is well documented, as is the reason - they are looking at ways to become legal citizens. It's not that there's fraud here. It's that Fox needed to invent something for the folk they manipulate to get in a pointless lather about. Pointless lather is an important tool of rightwing exploitation.

David W Pratt
05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Completely OT, but I find it annoying on many of these websites that they don't identify where they are right up front.

ccmanuals
05-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Wonder how many illegals have taxes taken out of their paychecks but are afraid to file a return?

Phillip Allen
05-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Wonder how many illegals have taxes taken out of their paychecks but are afraid to file a return?

I've wondered about that too

ccmanuals
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
I've wondered about that too

I would have to think that if you are an illegal you will keep you distance from any gov't forms, voting booths, police stations and all city, state and federal agencies and their minions.

Phillip Allen
05-09-2012, 11:37 AM
I would have to think that if you are an illegal you will keep you distance from any gov't forms, voting booths, police stations and all city, state and federal agencies and their minions.

I expect the illegal would claim many dependants and then scram (change ID) after every tax season

Iceboy
05-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Ian, I don't know why you keep putting this story on Fox. The link I followed clearly went to an NBC station. Perhaps some deep seated bias?
Phillip, try reading what I write and then try thinking, but let me try another way to see if you can get the point. I happily cited nautiguy's very lucid look at what it would take for the Fox numbers to have been true. That shows that the story fails the sniff test. Secondly, I pointed out that Fox can't actually know actual numbers because the IRS does not release them.

The kernal of fact that Fox exploded into a lie is that there are indeed more illegals filing taxes. This is well documented, as is the reason - they are looking at ways to become legal citizens. It's not that there's fraud here. It's that Fox needed to invent something for the folk they manipulate to get in a pointless lather about. Pointless lather is an important tool of rightwing exploitation.

Reynard38
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Beat me to it. The reason the guy isn't showing his face is he apparently is filing the fraudulent returns and charging for it. Might note that a niece or nephew isn't a legal dependent. Interesting that the narrator alluded to another scam--the IRS regularly collects SS taxes from illegal immigrants, who will never be able to collect any benefits.
Never collect any benefits? How about the free medical care they get when they show up at the emergency room, get treated and leave without paying? A friend of mine was a maternity ward nurse. She quit when she got fed up with the illegals pumping out anchor babies for free when poor Americans had to fork out thier meager earnings.

Dan McCosh
05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Never collect any benefits? How about the free medical care they get when they show up at the emergency room, get treated and leave without paying? A friend of mine was a maternity ward nurse. She quit when she got fed up with the illegals pumping out anchor babies for free when poor Americans had to fork out thier meager earnings.

How about all the pizza they eat?

Ian McColgin
05-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Iceboy, I erred. When I googled up the story my eye caught an earlier Fox story and wrongly believed that they started it. Further research showed that The Washington Times 24/7 broke the story on April 9. So, Unification Church takes it. So far as I bothered to read, none of the later stories did any independent reporting.

Iceboy
05-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Fair enough Ian. Thanks for the clarification.

Tom Hunter
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I'd like to point out that the topic headline is completely wrong. There is nothing about our tax dollars at work. Contrary to the TV reporter's statement, there is no loop hole being exploited. People are cheating on their taxes. Some of them are in the country illegally. It's against the law if an American Citizen does it, if a legal immigrant does it, or if an illegal immigrant does it.

It’s fair to ask if the IRS should be investigating these taxpayers. Ideally they should, but if they start looking for fraud in the smaller dollar tax returns that means the number of audits you and I experience will go up as well. So be careful what you wish for.

And please stop saying that a private decision to commit fraud is our tax dollars at work.

Dan McCosh
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd like to point out that the topic headline is completely wrong. There is nothing about our tax dollars at work. Contrary to the TV reporter's statement, there is no loop hole being exploited. People are cheating on their taxes. Some of them are in the country illegally. It's against the law if an American Citizen does it, if a legal immigrant does it, or if an illegal immigrant does it.

It’s fair to ask if the IRS should be investigating these taxpayers. Ideally they should, but if they start looking for fraud in the smaller dollar tax returns that means the number of audits you and I experience will go up as well. So be careful what you wish for.

And please stop saying that a private decision to commit fraud is our tax dollars at work. Quite right. It's tough to believe such blatant fraud isn't noticed with even a quick read of the return, however. Hardly needs an audit or investigation.

ccmanuals
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Florida (for some reason) is having a huge problem with identity theft and people filing returns using someone else's identity. Here is one example:

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/sep/02/5/tampa-police-officer-was-victim-of-massive-tax-fra-ar-254887/