PDA

View Full Version : Sorta Messed-up Scarf

andrewmct
05-07-2012, 08:18 PM
This post should supersede my last post. I scarfed together 1/2 inch ply and didn't realize in poor lighting that the joint should have been pushed closer together. The overall effect is that the scarfed area is about a millimeter thinner than the rest of the panel. Should I cut it out and do it again or will it be ok once the whole boat is together, glassed, filled etc? I keep thinking, " the enemy of good enough is better" but now would be the time to make it better. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

TerryLL
05-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Probably OK from a structural standpoint, but that dip in the thickness will definitely show, especially with gloss paint. Careful filling and fairing is an option, and best done before the plank is bent on.

Mike Vogdes
05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I would just do it over, practice makes perfect... Scarfing is easy once you do a few.

hokiefan
05-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Where's it going in the boat? Based on that is it a structural problem? If not can you fair it as TerryLL suggests? If no and yes, go with it and learn from it. Otherwise try again. The beauty of wood is the ability to try again.

Cheers,

Bobby

Breakaway
05-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Doing it over is probably at least as much work as fairing out the dip; maybe less. So if you have the material to spare, I'd say do it over. If your short, carry on, fair and fill.

Kevin

andrewmct
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Wiping tears from my eyes; I sawed the scarf in half last night and am re-doing it. It was that nagging feeling and when someone says what you're thinking, you know it has to be done. Thanks.

Soundman67
05-08-2012, 04:19 PM
that thinning of the joint could have been used to hide a fiberglass tape on either side. add strength while filling the dip in the suface. but you have cut it apart now so good luck with the second attempt.

Tom Robb
05-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Congratulations!
If you'd pressed on regardless, it'd haunt you even if others claimed they didn't notice it.
Learning is the sucessive elimination of mistakes.

Ian McColgin
05-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Doing over is less work than fairing the dip, which also exposes the wrong plys. Call it a learning experience.

wizbang 13
05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Now don't make it too fat!!

TerryLL
05-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Andrew,

I may have missed it, but did you ever tell us what design you settled on?

davebrown
05-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I always build two boats. The first one gets thrown away in pieces, one little step at a time. The second is usually satisfactory. If you understand my joke.

jimkeen
05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Wiping tears from my eyes; I sawed the scarf in half last night and am re-doing it. It was that nagging feeling and when someone says what you're thinking, you know it has to be done. Thanks.

You do get a Mulligan or two in most situations. Just remember almost everything can be fixed. This is a fantastic resource for the answers to the "Oh my Gosh" or "WTF" times.
Keep on trucking

willin woodworks
05-09-2012, 07:26 AM
It's not how badly you f@*K up its how well you fix up......

The saying in our shop has always been "I wish I'd built the second boat first"

Eddiebou
05-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah, you probably did the right thing by re-doing the scarf. Someone above said it would haunt you later on, and it probably would. I faired and filled a low spot in one of my side planks and I can still see it under the paint. It was a low spot caused by the fork lift while the boards were handled in the rough. It didn't plane out completely and I decided to fill it instead of sanding the surrounding wood down. Even though the finished thickness is the same as the surrounding boards, it has a slicker, smoother texture that shows through the paint. Most people would never notice it, but I know it's there. I just couldn't work around that bad spot, and didn't have another board to replace it with.