PDA

View Full Version : CHINESE JUNK - HORNBY ISLAND

F.R. Wade
10-11-2000, 09:19 AM
Recently, I noticed a Chinese junk rigged vessel in Ford Cove, Hornby Island, B.C.. She was named "HiYa", was approx 36 feet long, and made of wood, single chine ply. Very nice vessel, with copper metal bottom. Does anyone know the vessel, who was the builder, and who may have designed her? I believe the builder had come from Winnipeg, had built the boat but then succumbed to cancer just after he completed her. I am looking for plans because I would like to build her as well. I was going to attach a photo of her, but unable to here.

Does anyone know of any recent plans for chinese junks from which I could begin my search? I believe the vessel was completed in 1994, so don't suspect that the design is that old, but you never know. Has a forward cabin and a large aft main cabin with dinette forward to port with galley opposite it to starboard. Head to starboard aft of galley and locker to port aft of dinette with large aft cabin. Two masted, main between main and forward cabin and foremast near bow. Without photos this is all I can tell you.

Fletch

wandiwise
10-11-2000, 03:23 PM
Try Tom Colvin, N.A. at WestC85600@aol.com or phone 941-728-2196.

Tom is very knowledgeable of Junks and their rigs, designs in all materials, and probably has what you want already in his files.

Good luck.

Charlie J
10-11-2000, 05:02 PM
Here's a site for Junks- lots of good info. http://www.nsjunkrig.org/
lots of pics also.

Been studying the "Practical Junk Rig" by Blondie Hasler and Jock McLeod. Very intersesting book. Tells how to calculate sail size, how to build, how to locate mast position on current production boats for rerigging purposes.

Good luck
Charlie

none
10-11-2000, 08:49 PM
have you looked on the "By-the-sea, bone yard boats"? I was told that there's a junk posted there ...near the bottom of the list. I'll go there as soon as I get home to night and see what it said if you want.

S. Russell
10-17-2000, 06:54 PM
Alan Farrel built a beautiful junk called China Cloud - about 38 ft. I had the good fortune to sail on it one day and was very impressed. The lines for it can be seen in the book Sailing Back in Time (Maria Coffey). If you live on Hornby Island you might find Alan Farrel on Lasquiti Island or in Pender Harbour. He's a fascinating man to talk to and very open to sharing his knowledge.

Dave 'doc' Fleming
10-24-2000, 07:22 PM
Just got the new Robert Hale book catalog and on page 71 are listed two books regarding the Farrells:
Sailing Back in Time
by Maria Coffey

Sail on the Wind
Dan Rubin

Both are described as having photos and sketches
A very poor background photo shows a junk type on the cover of Sailing Back in Time.

dadadata
10-24-2000, 08:36 PM
Sailing Back in Time is well worth a read. Gorgeous photos. but it's not really a boatbuilding book.

The lines sketch in the back is a little strange if you're used to the work of people like Chapelle or Bolger but it's what Alan F supplied to people who asked and at least one person has built from them if the book is any indication.

Be aware that it's a junk-shaped hull with bilge keels, built by plank on frame techniques (that is, Western Style) so while it has the topsides junk shape, and someting of a junk's underwater shape, it is an adaptation.

Most junks are shaped something like large garveys with rocker and a fairly narrow bow transom... This is a real sweeping generalization, but it's the best analogous Western hull I can think of.

There is a discussion group --

junkrig@egroups.com

and someone there might know the Hi-Ya story.

Also be aware that "junk yachts" of today are not necessarily very much akin to the traditional junks in shape or anything else. For some reason the modern trend is vaguely junk shaped power boats with almost-decorative masts, and your basic oriental whorehouse decor. For examples see Maitland's SETTING SAILS.