PDA

View Full Version : Airport security

Rum_Pirate
05-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Having read in another thread about somebody losing two Leatherman 'Wave's at airport security, got me wondering.

Why don't they have a location near the security position where you can buy an envelope (padded in necessary), which could be priced high to cover admin costs, and stamps and post your valuable (exclude nail clippers etc) possession (eg a Leatherman Wave) back to your house?

The only downside I can see is that people would probably be more likely to not check their luggage on the grounds that :
a) it might not be spotted so it goes with them, and
b) if it is spotted they get a chance to get it back.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have that 'post home' facility?

Anthony Zucker
05-06-2012, 08:40 AM
This happened to me in nashville(I had the key chain with a small pocket knife) and the security guy told me to go to the coffee shop where they keep your stuff until you return. I think they charged $5 which was fair.

Paul Pless
05-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi Rummy, been a while. . .

Why don't they have a location near the security position where you can buy an envelope (padded in necessary), which could be priced high to cover admin costs, and stamps and post your valuable (exclude nail clippers etc) possession (eg a Leatherman Wave) back to your house?
Probably because the vast majority of travellers don't have a problem following the TSA's instructions.

BrianW
05-06-2012, 10:03 AM
I've seen people mailing stuff next to TSA. So it's available in some locations. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a TSA run deal.

BrianW
05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi Rummy, been a while. . .

Probably because the vast majority of travellers don't have a problem following the TSA's instructions.

Well, in all fairness, people do forget stuff in their backpack. I've lost a couple knives that way. Tend to stuff them in pockets while at work, because they come in handy, then forget when I go to get on the plane.

Last time through TSA coming to work, my backpack tested positive for explosive residue. Can't imagine why, as it flies around Afghanistan, next to cases of ammo, mortar shells, a few extra AR-15 magazines (loaded of course) stuffed inside along with smoke grenades. ;)

Might need to get a new backpack. :(

tigerregis
05-06-2012, 10:20 AM
It happened to me in Rochester NY on my way to Annapolis. I had spent the long week-end at a YC annual PU and lived out of my duffels on a boat. Packing up made the mistake of putting the shave kit into carry-on. Search turned up a sausage knife (sentimental value) and riggers knife. Allow confiscation or pay to mail at $7.50 a pop. Paid the $15 for a bubble bag, addressed it and left. Showed up 3 days later with $0.57 postage. Lesson learned.

Ron Williamson
05-06-2012, 03:53 PM
It'd be nice to have a 'I don't want to post it home,so you can have it if you want' pile.
R

Dan McCosh
05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
My wife has discovered that while they are busy confiscating hair gel, they ignore the knife you have in your pocket.