PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people need to be rich?

Meli
05-05-2012, 09:27 AM
It's a question that has always puzzled me.
Sure It would be nice to have enough for a boat, work part time, have a nice house and travel.
And help other people out.:D
But why do some people feel the need to have millions and millions?

Is it just a drive to do well and the income overtakes ones needs?
Is it a need to prove themselves superior and flaunt it to others?.
Is it pathological greed?

I don't get it one bit.

Curtism
05-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Same reason some people are roofers . . . they like the sense of other people looking up to them. :p

Dan McCosh
05-05-2012, 09:39 AM
"Being rich" isn't quite the same as "getting rich". The latter usually involves producing, or doing something, well enough that others want to pay for it. Doing something very well usually makes the producer rich, as a mark of success. Lots of people use money as a way of keeping score, rather than an end in itself. Another motivation is the desire to be effective, to change things and create something.

Meli
05-05-2012, 10:01 AM
"Being rich" isn't quite the same as "getting rich". The latter usually involves producing, or doing something, well enough that others want to pay for it. Doing something very well usually makes the producer rich, as a mark of success. Lots of people use money as a way of keeping score, rather than an end in itself. Another motivation is the desire to be effective, to change things and create something.

Sure some people are tastefully and discretely rich, but others like Paris Hilton? and the brash crowd? do they need millions and millions, a crystal bath, 3-7 houses, a jet, a tacky stretch limmo, and a brass Blonde or 6 to prove this?

Or are they just compensating for some other unfullfilled sadness. A hey, look at me!! sort of thing?
Maybe they were tubby bullied kids? maybe they felt unloved?
It's so sad, these people never seem to get it, that flaunting their money gains them no respect from those they feel they need it from most. It's something thats been written about since socrates was knee high, but they still just dont get it.

George Jung
05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I posted this earlier... but it's dropped like a rock. Tangentially on-topic:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?147466-Thar-s-gold-in-them-there-hills

There are those who 'keep score', as noted, by accumulation of wealth. But for those 'comfortably well off', I'd say it's more the product of how they operate, that allowed them to accumulate some wealth in the first place. If that's your lifestyle, even after you've got some money, it's unlikely you'd change that even if you didn't need to continue working. And I believe the 'millionaire next door' notes most folks with some wealth live fairly frugally, don't buy the expensive homes/cars/planes/whatever. They may not even make that much money - but they save. And if you're a 'saver', it's pretty much hardwired, regardless how the accounts look.

2MeterTroll
05-05-2012, 10:58 AM
IMO its mostly score keeping/insecurity. Erica and I dont want huge amounts of money we would just be happy if our few bills where paid and we could get groceries without having to keep track of the pennies. It was nice when i was crabbing to not need to save till i could afford things. OTH when i was making that much it meant i had to be around those who had way more than they needed. these folks are different it almost pathological what some will do to make more money. the old money folks are different again they have the pile and dont actually have to do anything but most choose to do something constructive. then there is the other type that has the money and does nothing other than flaunt it; these dont tend to make more or contribute in any meaningful way to society.

the new money folks are a pretty sad lot most times; very insecure. I stuck out like a sore thumb when the fundraisers threw parties; ahh yes the fund raisers bunch of well to do folks getting perks so they will donate to some charity or organization. this is I think where so many new money folks go wrong, they believe the flattery of these functions.

David W Pratt
05-05-2012, 11:00 AM
To pay for the boat, of course.

S.V. Airlie
05-05-2012, 11:06 AM
To have one up on the Jones'. I look at Hamburg Cove and try to compare it from years gone by and now. Macmansions through out what used to be pristine acreage. In the 60's, there used to be one light. Now there are enough lights on shore, one can read a book at midnight. Being comfortable is fine with me. Don't want to be rich. Often causes a lot of headaches I don't want.

George Jung
05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
The trick, as I see it, is to have enough to cover expenses, a few toys, a place to live, health insurance/etc., but also a bit of a buffer - $hit happens, and if you suddenly find yourself unemployed/disabled/whatever, it helps to be able to weather the storm without resorting to selling body parts.

But I know too many folk, with that much X100, who are simply 'keeping score'. Those folks also seem to be pinching the buffalo on the nickel the most, as well. Ah well, it's all just a lesson on humanity.

Robert Meyer
05-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Why do some people need to be poor?

Waddie
05-05-2012, 12:57 PM
it's often a form of hoarding. Probably for the same psychological reasons.

regards,
Waddie

Phillip Allen
05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
I have a friend... but he has a failing, he wants to belong to the millionare's club... certainly he wants the money but I've known this guy for quite a while and was puzzled often enough by things he said... it's the CLUB he wants to be part of
he endlessly speaks of this person or that person who has millions and does this thing or that thing... if he gets to speak to a millionare, he talks (obsesses) about the guy for weeks to come... not his money but the PERSON!

skuthorp
05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
"Maybe they were tubby bullied kids? maybe they felt unloved?"
Why did I know it was an Aussie that posted this phrase before I looked?
It's not so important that they are rich as how they got there, and who they trashed to get there. And when enough is enough which does seem to stray into obsessive-compulsive territory, ie money for it's own sake, not what it can do.