PDA

View Full Version : My wife's cats are bird killers

Paul Pless
05-05-2012, 07:30 AM
So it was with a bit of humor this morning after being awoken by a flock of wild turkey strutting under our bedroom window, that I walked to the front door to find her two cats frantic to get indoors.:D

BrianW
05-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Is it safe to assume, you let them explore the great outdoors a bit longer? :)

McMike
05-05-2012, 07:49 AM
It must have been priceless to see the look on their faces!!!! :d

Dan McCosh
05-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Then there are those falcons...

stevebaby
05-05-2012, 07:59 AM
The last time I saw any flocking Wild Turkey it gave me a hangover.
It was worth it. :D

Meli
05-05-2012, 08:14 AM
My cat's scared of pigeons, every morning I feed him outside and there's 15 or so birds hanging around waiting for me to leave before they swoop. The cat sits there just watching them eat then meows at me to sit with him while he has his breakfast. It's pathetic

wardd
05-05-2012, 08:18 AM
cats don't bother birds as big or bigger than they are

i have a bunch of cats, don't know how many, not one has ever bothered my ducks and rooster, in fact the ducks don't like cats and chase them, come to think of it the lil white duck chases me too, he's mean

i'm pathetic

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-05-2012, 09:33 AM
We've had cats lifted fom the shed roof by buzzards.

N.B. Buteo Buteo NOT vultures.

Paul Pless
05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
We've had cats lifted fom the shed roof by buzzards.

If only we could be so lucky. . .

S.V. Airlie
05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
You are correct not to call the cat nappers buzzards unless it is a europen species. Over here, buzzards or vultures don't eat live prey. Very little grasping power, but what ever you call the hawk, better be a good sized hawk. There is a weight limit they can get off the ground with

elf
05-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, Paul, they met their match and showed their capacity for cowardice!

skuthorp
05-05-2012, 04:42 PM
The sea and wedge tailed eagles take them down here, there's a ready supply of feral cats and they've gotten used to the food source. The local breeder of very expensive cats lost one off her verandah, hers are mostly caged.

purri
05-05-2012, 09:23 PM
and here we have the Powerful Owl (Ninox strenua). Cats are on the menu de nuit.

David G
05-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Yup. When we lived in New Hampshire... I watched an owl move into the neighborhood, and pretty much clear out all the unwary neighborhood cats. Had a new batch of kittens at the time, and lost two of them.

fishrswim
05-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Cats are major predators of our wild birds. A house cat left to roam outdoors will kill upwards of 500 birds per year.

Please keep your cats indoors. They will be more healthy and live longer. Many cat people consider letting cats outdoors to be a form of animal abuse.

Paul Pless
05-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Many cat people consider letting cats outdoors to be a form of animal abuse.I consider my wife having her cats indoors a form of spouse abuse.

Phillip Allen
05-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Cats are major predators of our wild birds. A house cat left to roam outdoors will kill upwards of 500 birds per year.

Please keep your cats indoors. They will be more healthy and live longer. Many cat people consider letting cats outdoors to be a form of animal abuse.

many people consider eating meat is animal abuse... it isn't worth much of my attention

skuthorp
05-05-2012, 10:22 PM
We had cats as a kid but I too have seen the damage and they are not a suitable animal for Aus. Come to think of it, on the evidence neither are most of us.

skipper68
05-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Ours seems to prefer birds. We had a few 3AM conversations. Now, moles, voles and WTH,FROGS??? Squish under bare feet. We arn't on speaking terms NOW. We have Bald Eagles scaring him now-he aint dumb! Dog either-the huge shadow scares her. Peeps and dogs in the marina.Oh wait- now kitty loves me. LOL

PeterSibley
05-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Our feral cat population has been drastically reduced, far beyond decimated, by cane toads. A small blessing .

skipper68
05-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Our feral cat population has been drastically reduced, far beyond decimated, by cane toads. A small blessing .Well, I chose not to have my cat decimated by frogs! We are "Arguing" with beavers: which makes every one laugh hysterically!! They need to rename them SOMETHING!:arg:d

bamamick
05-06-2012, 07:11 AM
When we had our first Basset puppy we had a pair of owls nesting just behind the house and I had warned the girls about letting him out by himself. I came downstairs once and asked the girls where the puppy was and one of them absentmindely said 'oh, he wanted to go out so I opend the door for him'. I about ran THROUGH the door, swooped his little butt and brought him back inside. My goodness, but I could just see him riding along in the talons of a damn owl on his way to the buffet table. We never let him out unattended until he was too big to carry (imo).

Mickey Lake

stevebaby
05-06-2012, 07:27 AM
We used to have Blue tongued lizards living under the house. they were great for pest control and didn't bother anyone (except mice and bugs) so we were protective of them. Next door's cat used to stalk and kill the young ones so when I saw the cat stalking in the back yard i started to head out to save the lizard. Before I got there, a large kookaburra swooped at the cat and sent it flying over the back fence in terror. It was a sight for sore eyes I tell ya!
The kookaburra then promptly killed the lizard and flew off with it.
Oh well.

Paul Pless
05-06-2012, 07:29 AM
lmao

BrianW
05-06-2012, 08:19 AM
...a large kookaburra swooped at the cat and sent it flying over the back fence in terror. It was a sight for sore eyes I tell ya!
The kookaburra then promptly killed the lizard and flew off with it.
Oh well.

:D

A small sacrifice for the rest of the team...

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Long ago I had a house with a yard and a couple of barns - we had a cat, and every year there would be swallow nests in the barns.

If the cat got out into the middle of the yard - she would be dive-bombed by kamikaze swallows.

Sam F
05-06-2012, 09:45 AM
My cats are useless. They pretty much all have been for my entire life. Every cat I have ever known was useless except for one who managed to kill squirrels on a fairly regular basis - how he managed it I can't imagine.
However, if it's bird killers you want...
Yesterday I leaned a 4X4 post against the kid's playhouse and in less than 4 hours a black snake had slithered up it and eaten an entire nest of starling's. Those things don't waste any time!

katey
05-06-2012, 11:49 AM
I've been noticing the surprising lack of bunnies this spring...usually I'm overrrun. Last night I heard a pair of owls hooting at each other. I suspect that explains it.

Waddie
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I consider my wife having her cats indoors a form of spouse abuse.'

Paul, are you just trying to get in trouble with the wife again??????? Have you no common sense, man????? The motto in my house has always been, "If mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy". Talking bad about her cats on a public forum isn't likely to make her happy..... She'll say it doesn't bother her, but it will be filed away never to be forgotten, and used one day when you least expect it....... just sayin'

regards,
Waddie

Will Wheeler
05-06-2012, 12:39 PM
There's an animal called a fisher that moved into the area. It's wonders to reduce the barn cat population, along with the coyotes.

Phillip Allen
05-06-2012, 12:53 PM
dogs ande cats...

one can beat a dog and lock it up in the trunk of a car and drive down a bumpy road for 40 miles and let him out and it'll be glad to see you and greatful for being let out.
if one does the same thing to a cat, he will have made a mortal enemy

my theory is that dog-lovers-cat-haters desire dominance over a fellow creature... the dog furnishes him with a tractable victim

S.V. Airlie
05-06-2012, 01:46 PM
http://s4.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20110324&t=2&i=370519395&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2011-03-24T183511Z_01_BTRE72N1FMR00_RTROPTP_0_KAZAKHSTAN-EAGLES

Robbie 2
05-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Our present cat is definitely a homebody ans only occasionally kills a bird.
However our last cat was from a farm and had the inbred ability to look after itself. he caught heaps of birds and rabbits from the farmland behind our place.
We never had to worry if we went away as he was usually fatter when we got back then if we stayed home and fed him catfood.

Rum_Pirate
05-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I've been noticing the surprising lack of bunnies this spring...usually I'm overrrun. Last night I heard a pair of owls hooting at each other. I suspect that explains it.

Maybe this will help

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt27/IllicoPresto/Motivational/HeronEatRabbit.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3352517/Heron-catches-rabbit-Dramatic-photos.html

B_B
05-06-2012, 11:34 PM
...The motto in my house has always been, "If mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy". Talking bad about her cats on a public forum isn't likely to make her happy...
True, but if mamma is in your playground calling you out the best offense/defense is passive aggressive posting. ;)

b.t.w. Mr. Pless, whither the wild turkeys? one or two in your freezer?

S.V. Airlie
05-07-2012, 12:26 AM
The thing about cats is that any bird of prey except a Bubo v. or an eagle, will have a great deal of trouble carrying away an average 10 pound or more cat. kittens are another thing

The Bigfella
05-07-2012, 06:00 AM
I worked on a project with a young woman a few years back and she had a great cat tale. She had a contract to remove cats from a National Park. She was pretty good at it. One day she was pegging out some skins in the back yard when her neighbour called out "have you seen my cat"... as she stuck her head over the fence. Apparently she didn't have the neighbour's cat skin... fortunately.

Paul Pless
05-07-2012, 08:15 AM
b.t.w. Mr. Pless, whither the wild turkeys? one or two in your freezer?Nah. They're out of season. Besides, it would've been unsporting to point the .22 out the bedroom window; you're supposed to work hard when hunting turkey. . .

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Now might be a chance to take the cat owner breakfast in bed - or a cup of her favourite coffee.

The Bigfella
05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Cat coffee. How appropriate. I scored a few cups of cat coffee in Jakarta. Civets eat the coffee beans... sh!t them out, they get collected and turned into coffee... and it ain't half bad. I hear it goes for about $100 a cup in NY. I have to say.... its good.

Paul Pless
05-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Now might be a chance to take the cat owner breakfast in bed - or a cup of her favourite coffee.Nah. She's at work. :d

However, Monday through Friday I wake about an hour before Kat and take care of the dogs and cats and bring her breakfast to the bedroom and warm the bathroom for her and pack her lunch. . .

Paul Pless
05-07-2012, 08:27 AM
I hear it goes for about $100 a cup in NY. Usually less than $100.00 per pound whole bean.

Civets look quite like our 'possums.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Luwak.jpg/800px-Luwak.jpg

The Bigfella
05-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Usually less than $100.00 per pound whole bean.

no bean that's been a turd is a whole bean

Tried it yet?

Paul Pless
05-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Tried it yet?Nope and probably won't. At those prices I'll confine my beverage choices to wine or liqor.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Nah. She's at work. :d
. .

Sorry - my bad - it's a public holiday here today.

The Bigfella
05-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Nope and probably won't. At those prices I'll confine my beverage choices to wine or liqor.

I'll have some more for you. Want me to tell you when I do?