PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused?

Steve McMahon
05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
I posted an old Toyota 4x4 plow truck on a canadian buy / sell website that I often use. www.kijiji.ca
This is a beat up old truck for a couple of thousand bucks.

A few hours later I get a text message:
from 330-238-8010
"Get back to (ryanalexatgmail.com) if your 1985 Toyota Other Pickups XTRACAB 4 X 4 Pickup Truck is still for sell"

10 minutes later:
from 646-943-6754
"Toyota Other Pickups XTRAC ur item sti 4sale' emai bak (pupaq2 at gmail.com)4 more info."

The 330 area code is Ohio, and the 646 one is New York.
What is their game ? If I e-mail them (which I won't) are they going to ask me to give them banking info so they can transfer money?
Are people dumb enough to do that?

Garret
05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Yup & yup.

I have a couple of self tailing winches on Craig's List & one I got even told me not to worry about shipping, as they would have a "moving van pick it up".....

Ron Williamson
05-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Sooo....,Garrett,how big and how much are those winches?
R

Durnik
05-04-2012, 12:01 AM
I posted an old Toyota 4x4 plow truck on a canadian buy / sell website that I often use. www.kijiji.ca (http://www.kijiji.ca)
This is a beat up old truck for a couple of thousand bucks.

A few hours later I get a text message:
from 330-238-8010
"Get back to (ryanalexatgmail.com) if your 1985 Toyota Other Pickups XTRACAB 4 X 4 Pickup Truck is still for sell"

10 minutes later:
from 646-943-6754
"Toyota Other Pickups XTRAC ur item sti 4sale' emai bak (pupaq2 at gmail.com)4 more info."

The 330 area code is Ohio, and the 646 one is New York.
What is their game ? If I e-mail them (which I won't) are they going to ask me to give them banking info so they can transfer money?
Are people dumb enough to do that?

Keeping in mind that Canada had several (many?) different vehicle options unavailable in the U.S. - and some U.S. buyers are aware of this. Does your vehicle have anything special in the way of engine/tranny/gears? The U.S. only got the (over time) 8/18/20/22R(E) I4's or later, a 3VZE V6 (completely useless - DAMHIKT).. I don't recall if 85's all had 5 spds in the U.S. I know I'd love to get a 5 spd tranny for my 81 LC.. In the U.S., to 'help' Jeep sell XJ's, LC's of that era were limited to 4 spds & 18mpg. But, We are Free! ;-) Yea, right.

FWIW, I know a fellow who posted an engine on C/L in MS.. & had the engine pickled up by a fellow from IIRC, N.Y. - who paid cash.

I'd email them (at least the first) - and insist on cash.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

bobbys
05-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Keeping in mind that Canada had several (many?) different vehicle options unavailable in the U.S. - and some U.S. buyers are aware of this. Does your vehicle have anything special in the way of engine/tranny/gears? The U.S. only got the (over time) 8/18/20/22R(E) I4's or later, a 3VZE V6 (completely useless - DAMHIKT).. I don't recall if 85's all had 5 spds in the U.S. I know I'd love to get a 5 spd tranny for my 81 LC.. In the U.S., to 'help' Jeep sell XJ's, LC's of that era were limited to 4 spds & 18mpg. But, We are Free! ;-) Yea, right.

FWIW, I know a fellow who posted an engine on C/L in MS.. & had the engine pickled up by a fellow from IIRC, N.Y. - who paid cash.

I'd email them (at least the first) - and insist on cash.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby.

Why is the v6 engine not desirable, A few people told me to stay away and try and get the 4cyl.

MiddleAgesMan
05-04-2012, 05:07 AM

Why is the v6 engine not desirable, A few people told me to stay away and try and get the 4cyl.

V6 is fine but not in a "plow truck" as the OP described it. Too much power is dangerous when pulling a plow. ;)

Garret
05-04-2012, 06:10 AM
V6 is fine but not in a "plow truck" as the OP described it. Too much power is dangerous when pulling a plow. ;)

You Southerners! You're jealous 'cause you miss out on all the fun of pushing snow around. ;)

2MeterTroll
05-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Depends heavy on the plow. there's lots of badly designed plows on the market, most for midsize trucks suck. however those made for full size trucks tend to be ok, the market soon tosses the crappy plows.
if you are going to move snow i would invest in a good blower. you can dial it in to put snow where you want it. Much better than plowing it into huge piles.

MiddleAgesMan
05-04-2012, 06:43 AM
You Southerners! You're jealous 'cause you miss out on all the fun of pushing snow around. ;)

Snow? I was picturing the truck moving across a field dragging a plow behind.

So you guys push your plows? ;)

Garret
05-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Depends heavy on the plow. there's lots of badly designed plows on the market, most for midsize trucks suck. however those made for full size trucks tend to be ok, the market soon tosses the crappy plows.
if you are going to move snow i would invest in a good blower. you can dial it in to put snow where you want it. Much better than plowing it into huge piles.

I have both. A 6' blade on a small Blazer & a 7' snowblower on my tractor. In a normal 6" - 10" storm I can plow the driveway in 1/4 the time it takes to snowblow it - so the snowblower gets used only to blow the banks back or if we get 24" overnight or some such. In fact, I can plow everything "well enough to get cars out" in more like 1/10th the time.

I use a small truck/blade because of tight turns on the driveway. Pickups are fine for parking lots & big wide drives, but suffer from worse traction than most of the smaller non P/U rigs unless you put a sander or 800 lbs of ballast in the back.

Garret
05-04-2012, 06:45 AM

If we're gonna plow a field for crops, we have these new-fangled things called tractors. They work slick for all sorts of things...... :p

SamSam
05-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Kind of like how a tow boat pushes barges.

Back on the farm, we just used the tractor to hold the plow in place while the planet rotated underneath. It was much easier.

2MeterTroll
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
I have both. A 6' blade on a small Blazer & a 7' snowblower on my tractor. In a normal 6" - 10" storm I can plow the driveway in 1/4 the time it takes to snowblow it - so the snowblower gets used only to blow the banks back or if we get 24" overnight or some such. In fact, I can plow everything "well enough to get cars out" in more like 1/10th the time.

I use a small truck/blade because of tight turns on the driveway. Pickups are fine for parking lots & big wide drives, but suffer from worse traction than most of the smaller non P/U rigs unless you put a sander or 800 lbs of ballast in the back.

blowers are slow and i wont argue that. however i dont have to do things twice and that makes them nice. We have a plow and for the most part it works fine our snow up here is dry so its a matter of choosing for the situation. does it take more time to plow then use the blower on the banks or blow it in the first place and putting the snow where it will do the most good?

Durnik
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by bobbys http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=3400648#post3400648)

Altho the factory specs say the 3vze has more power, in the real world, the 22R(E) had more usable power, better mileage & didn't fail near so often as the V6 which was prone to head gasket failures & general misc problems. I have used a 22RE equipped vehicle to truck 55 gal barrels of water up over a rather steep grade for irrigation.. & the truck moved right out. I have used a couple 3vze versions (1 p/u, 1 4-runner, all vehicles were sticks) to pull loads on relatively level ground.. Doggy as all get out.

The 22R(E) was perhaps the best all round small gasser engine ever built & available in the U.S. - the only market I really know. Powerful, reliable, efficient & robust, it was a keeper.

I had one in an old P/U that used to take a minute or so for oil pressure to come up. When the frame on that truck failed, I bought another old beater that had a hole in the oil pan. Pulling the pan from the previous vehicle, I found the thrust washers in the pan - explains the slow oil pressure rise. That engine had maybe 10..15,000 miles on it with the slow oil pressure.. Good Motor. Bad Owner.. YMMV, IMHO.. ;-)

Back on the farm, we just used the tractor to hold the plow in place while the planet rotated underneath. It was much easier.

you know most folks.. impatient as all get out.. ;-)

I once bought a 4x4 stick F350 diesel that came with a plow set-up. Took it off & sold it. Figured if I couldn't drive thru the snow (see 4x4 & good tires) I didn't need to go out. If anyone wanted to follow me, they were welcome.. It is true that in that place we seldom got over 12". ;-)

Steve, I'm interested to hear about your truck.. & the U.S. prospective buyer(s) if you replied..

enjoy
bobby

Garret
05-04-2012, 05:27 PM
blowers are slow and i wont argue that. however i dont have to do things twice and that makes them nice. We have a plow and for the most part it works fine our snow up here is dry so its a matter of choosing for the situation. does it take more time to plow then use the blower on the banks or blow it in the first place and putting the snow where it will do the most good?

Well, there's time & there's time. 15 min. vs. over an hour when your gal needs to get to work is huge. 15 min. vs. over an hour on a Saturday afternoon is differenter....

Of course it depends on the size of the snowfalls, but I find I can plow 4-6 times before needing to blow the banks back - sometimes a bit more. However, if we get 20" in a single storm, I'll generally just blow it.

Oh - the plow rig has heated seats in a rig with wipers & defroster, the tractor is open to the weather. Not that that makes a difference.... (right....)

Steve McMahon
05-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I didn't respond to the text messages from the US numbers. A bit of googling convinced me that my guess was correct. They are just fishing for banking info.
I am no longer confused. (at least not about this)

2MeterTroll
05-04-2012, 07:43 PM
We get a bit of snow. so its a time saver for us to have the blower. ya its a cold day sitting the tractor trying to get the snow done before the next fall ;)