PDA

View Full Version : Subversive? Or Comedy of Errors?

George Jung
05-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I've only followed the plight of Chen Guangcheng, the chinese dissident, peripherally - but I see he's vascillating between defecting and staying, very nicely catching the USA by the short hairs in the process.

So... is he simply inept? Or is this a ploy designed to embarrass / embroil in controversy the USA?

George Jung
05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I'd love to know what Hillary is saying, behind closed doors....

might make a good thread, all it's own!

Garret
05-03-2012, 01:48 PM
My understanding is that he'd truly prefer to stay in China, so that he can continue to work on these issues. NPR had an interview with another Chinese dissident who immigrated to the US & he said that once out of the country, Chinese stop paying much attention to them.

The big issue I see is that China was caught with their pants down & may go to extreme lengths to make up for that. If it stays in the open, I just don't see how they can explain away the continued imprisonment (even if @ home) & the beatings of his family members - long after he was released from jail - where he was because of trumped up charges anyway.

B_B
05-03-2012, 01:51 PM
So... is he simply inept? Or is this a ploy designed to embarrass / embroil in controversy the USA?
Who knows. My guess is the latter, but I'd say embroil as opposed to embarrass.

Kinda comes from listening to political rhetoric as opposed to learning from actions. The USA/The West have great rhetoric about freedom and democracy, but our actions belie that rhetoric.

George Jung
05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Good points.