PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of out of touch . . .

Curtism
05-01-2012, 11:59 AM
“A Democrat would come here and say, ’Nobody should live like this. Republicans come here and say, ‘Everyone should live like this’”

This was a statement from Mitt Romney’s speech at a $1,000 per plate fundraiser which was held at John- Papa John’s- Schnatter’s sprawling estate in Anchorage, Ky. He drops these two bone, er, laugh lines inside of 30 seconds into the attached video, for those with weak stomachs for this sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EHOx24mCrWA

BrianY
05-01-2012, 12:12 PM
FOUL!!!!!!!!!!! As the newly self-appointed bilge referee, I call a foul on this one.

Romney said that "everyone should live like this" - which everyone SHOULD. Don't we all aspire to be able to live like that? Isn't that part of the American Dream? I know I wish I could live like that.

In any case, the point is petty and deserves no special attention. You get a plus 5 on the loony-obsessive scale and a minus 3 on the score valid points about your opponent scale.

Concordia 33
05-01-2012, 12:15 PM
All politicians make gaffes from time to time... but the number of gaffes made by Romney, which reinforce the impression that he's the worst kind of economic elitist, continues to rise.

Yes, President Obama never makes them. Do we really need to highlight all of President Obama's here, or should we wait for him to make more as he campaigns in all 56 states? :) :)

ccmanuals
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Wonder what kind of cheesy grits they had for dinner. :)

Concordia 33
05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Obama's made gaffes in which he highlights his wealth? Hmm... haven't heard or seen any.

Then I guess you never looked hard either - it took me 2 seconds to find this. I guess that you can't have a stay at home mom even when you are a 1 percenter

Speaking Friday at what the administration called “The White House Forum on Women and the Economy,” President Barack Obama said that after his two daughters were born, he and his wife—both Harvard Law School graduates—could not afford the “luxury” of having her stay home with the children.

In 2005, when Obama began serving in the U.S. Senate (and his daughters turned 4 and 7), he and his wife were earning a combined annual income of $479,062. Barack Obama was paid a salary of $162,100 by the U.S. taxpayers, and Michelle Obama was paid $316,962 to handle community affairs for the University of Chicago Medical Center.

Curtism
05-01-2012, 12:34 PM
FOUL!!!!!!!!!!! As the newly self-appointed bilge referee, I call a foul on this one.

Romney said that "everyone should live like this" - which everyone SHOULD. Don't we all aspire to be able to live like that? Isn't that part of the American Dream? I know I wish I could live like that.

In any case, the point is petty and deserves no special attention. You get a plus 5 on the loony-obsessive scale and a minus 3 on the score valid points about your opponent scale.

Hold on there 'ref', before you go tossin the yeller flag. Romney said that Republicans would look at the vast expanse of the Papa's mansion and say, "everyone should live like this". Show me one Rep. who has (publicly) run on any platform that even remotely resembles wanting "everyone" to live like that.

I dispute your foul call (along with your goofy point sytem) and claim total BS on Romney's comment.

Curtism
05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Wonder what kind of cheesy grits they had for dinner. :)

I'd bet the menu didn't include any of the Papa's sorry looking, mystery meat filled, grease laden pies.

John Smith
05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
All politicians make gaffes from time to time... but the number of gaffes made by Romney, which reinforce the impression that he's the worst kind of economic elitist, continues to rise.
How does one define "gaffe"? If he really believes what he says, is it a gaffe or an insight into the man?

Curtism
05-01-2012, 03:00 PM
How does one define "gaffe"? If he really believes what he says, is it a gaffe or an insight into the man?

I doubt he actually believes any of what he said, or that it would be considered a gaffe to that particular audience. But, even so, it does provide certain insights into the man.

I'm wondering how often we'll hear this theme this campaign season. Was it a warmup to "Democrats want to take your money and re-distribute the wealth" like we saw last time.

http://www.zinasaunders.com/pages/politics/images/Campfire-Ghost-Stories.jpg

"And then, he taxed all your money and gave it away to the poor!"
Zina Saunders (http://www.zinasaunders.com/pages/illustration/index.html)

Y Bar Ranch
05-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Try using a calendar... Obama's kids were born in 1998 and 2001... I don't know what a state legislator's salary is, but it probably wasn't much.
Right now they make $67K/year plus $111/day per diem for a 6-month session, leaving another 6 months to flesh out the coffers.

ccmanuals
05-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Then I guess you never looked hard either - it took me 2 seconds to find this. I guess that you can't have a stay at home mom even when you are a 1 percenter

http://i48.tinypic.com/25tjfop.jpg

Paul Pless
05-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Obama's made gaffes in which he highlights his wealth? Hmm... haven't heard or seen any.No I don't think he has. Actually he deserves to be commended for crafting an image that disguises the fact that he's an elitist one percenter. . .