PDA

View Full Version : And the winner is.....

Meli
04-30-2012, 06:24 AM
No 2 Lew Barratt :D

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?146060-Stevensons-Locker-April-Topic-Sunsets

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rrett/dusk.jpg (http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/dusk.jpg)

This is a view from our house on a particularly nice evening, but most evening sunset views from our house are quite nice. If a picture is worth one thousand words, then consider my essay well started and finished however well or poorly the following words strike home.

Sunsets, five minute metaphors when observed as their own events, are considerably more melancholy for me now that I am older. They have always been at least a bit so, even when I was a younger fool. They signal the end of the day, and if the day has been poorly spent, it holds no other promise so even a beautiful sunset causes a sigh. If the day has been well spent, one may enjoy the coming evening without remorse, but in that event there may yet be a passing thought given for the end of the good day. However lovely, it is gone and another one exactly like it cannot be. Night falls, and no matter how much a young person enjoys it, night leaves a human at a disadvantage. Unless, that is, one is hunting but then only if one is hunting for love, for any other hunting done at night will not likely be to good purpose.

So I say sunsets no matter how beautiful are always sad, their beauty magnified by the irony of what they signal. I stare, blinking, at a moment in reds and golds, so beautiful is it which will soon pass, it would cause me a more delicious melancholy if only I could know with complete certainty there will be the joy of...... one more sunset.

Next months topic Lew?

BrianW
04-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Congrats to Lew!

Meli
04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
And the runner up is no5 chip skiff :)

I think I need to test this dice.:confused:

Paul Pless
04-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Congrats to Lew!I hope he chooses a more 'manly' topic for May than sunsets, waves, and cats. I don't know if I can take one more month of the metro-sexualization of the bilge. . .

BrianW
04-30-2012, 08:06 AM
True.

What rhymes with "internal combustion engine"?

ChrisBen
04-30-2012, 08:08 AM
True.

What rhymes with "internal combustion engine"?Rum? :d

Paul Pless
04-30-2012, 08:16 AM
True.

Rum? :d

Y'all are good!

TomF
04-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Well done, Lew!

John of Phoenix
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Very well done, by my reckoning.

I've always been a sunrise guy myself, so much so that my daughter is named Dawn.

We used to fly "first light recons" in Vietnam. It was always so peaceful preflighting in the predawn dark. Some mornings there even seemed a little chill in the still, quiet air - a real treat from the sweltering heat of the day. Then strap in, run through the cockpit checks, pull the starter trigger and the darkness and silence were gently broken by the snap, snap, snap of the engine's ignitors and the whine of the turbine as it slowly spooled up. A moment at idle to check the temps and pressures, then roll up to full throttle and call the tower. "Song Be tower, Blue Max 44, flight of two Cobras, Pig Sty for departure." "Blue Max 44, winds calm, altimeter two niner one five, density altitude two three hundred, you're my only traffic, depart at your descretion." "Four-four will depart eastbound."

Eastbound into the rapidly rising sun, leaving behind the last little peace of the day.

Lew Barrett
04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Just sined on to see this. How flattering! By popular demand I will come up with a manly topic.....gimme a half day to consider it.

True.

Infernal repellant feline, but we did cats already.

Just off the cuff.......
How about something like "Scabs?"
Dueling scars?
Flat tires? Flat tire actually has possibilities.

Hold that.....I am pondering.....

Lew Barrett
04-30-2012, 12:26 PM
OK,
Here is your topic:

Turning-point.

(In respect of masculine topics I had considered trying to get one word out of

"Furnace Installation" and "Male Pattern Baldness" but finally decided on something a bit less focused. Rum was a very good suggestion, but I wimped out on it!)

Meli
04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Goodoh, I thought "bald" woulda been good :D

Gotte go to work, I'll post up new topic tonight :D

johnw
04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
OK,
Here is your topic:

Turning Point.

(In respect of masculine topics I had considered

"Furnace Installation" and "Male Pattern Baldness" but finally decided on something a bit less focused. Rum Reveries was a good suggestion, but I wimped out on it!)

Congrats, Lew! I'm not bald and have not installed a furnace myself, so turning points sounds better.

Spin_Drift
04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Congrats Lew. Great story. :):D

Lew Barrett
04-30-2012, 10:07 PM
I was just informed by Meli that the topic is supposed to be one word........so I hyphenated turning point to turning-point! If that is a cheat, I'll come up with another way of saying turning point.......maybe something like nexus. Since belt sander is also two words, it won't do either!

Phillip Allen
04-30-2012, 11:06 PM
I was just informed by Meli that the topic is supposed to be one word........so I hyphenated turning point to turning-point! If that is a cheat, I'll come up with another way of saying turning point.......maybe something like nexus. Since belt sander is also two words, it won't do either!

why would anyone sand their belt?

Meli
05-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Very well done, by my reckoning.

I've always been a sunrise guy myself, so much so that my daughter is named Dawn.

We used to fly "first light recons" in Vietnam. It was always so peaceful preflighting in the predawn dark. Some mornings there even seemed a little chill in the still, quiet air - a real treat from the sweltering heat of the day. Then strap in, run through the cockpit checks, pull the starter trigger and the darkness and silence were gently broken by the snap, snap, snap of the engine's ignitors and the whine of the turbine as it slowly spooled up. A moment at idle to check the temps and pressures, then roll up to full throttle and call the tower. "Song Be tower, Blue Max 44, flight of two Cobras, Pig Sty for departure." "Blue Max 44, winds calm, altimeter two niner one five, density altitude two three hundred, you're my only traffic, depart at your descretion." "Four-four will depart eastbound."

Eastbound into the rapidly rising sun, leaving behind the last little peace of the day.

OK, JOP lets see you in the comp by 0400 :p (Very good BTW (IMHO))