PDA

View Full Version : Most used hand tool in life time?

Chris Coose
04-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Up on the staging, hanging clapboards this morning in beautiful South Bristol and wondering .

I can't decide if it is the hammer or paintbrush.

Most of the fastening I do these days is with screws but they dont work well in clapboards.
I was painting the ends of the primed pine clapboards and thinking what a remarkable tool the paint brush is. I wonder if the inventor is still getting royalties.

I worked full time in wood building renovation for 20 years and the past 20, part time. Lots of paint, specialty varnish work and other finishing work (sheetrock taping and wallpapering).

My portable tool box doesn't look like guys who are in the business these days

Mrleft8
04-29-2012, 06:15 PM
The brain...... Unfortunately, it's use is getting more and more sporadic...

2MeterTroll
04-29-2012, 06:17 PM
knife

Meli
04-29-2012, 06:22 PM
for hours in the hand? paintbrush

Mrleft8
04-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Actually...... I guess it's language....
We use it every day in some form or another.

seanz
04-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Around here? Tape measure.

Chris Coose
04-29-2012, 06:46 PM
True Donn. Whether I'm painting or hammering I've got a knife hung on me. The most common use this weekend was sharpening the pencil. Each clapboard got a line @ 3.5" run down it using a combo square.

ChaseKenyon
04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
knife

If you are a real tradesman or carpenter or boat builder or even a diy home owner and know the value of one it is a good pocket or belt holster knife.
It has to bee razor sharp and have a locking back and once sharpened down through ulta fine diamond and a strop or even a fine steel it is safe and indispensable.

my current favorite for everyday use is from china but incredibly well made. Yes it required "tuning up", but any knife I by for any specific purpose requires that I tune it to what I want. Take it through a full Recovery style sharpening and it is great. the serrated section can be easily tuned up with a small 4 inch fine steel. Zoom in on it they serrations are nasty, and rip through even even heavy boat tie down 2.5 inch webbing. I wish I could find a picture of the other side. It has a very subtly well engineered pocket and light khaki web belt clip that is easy to you not looking and if yo ever bend it up it has two screws holding it on so you can remove it and fix the problem. the wood is on with smooth flush bras rivets and the large hex sex bolt is there to take it apart once every 4 years or so for a thorough cleaning. the serrated blade lock works very well but takes some new hand positions to hold it back to close the blade.

Currently one of the better values out there if you shop around for $16 instead of outfitters $25.

http://www.discountcutlery.net/media/G-9435.jpg

The wood will soon be taken down and finished with gun stock oil for better life and protection deep in the wood instead of the "lacquer" finish. the essence is that every time you sharpen it You magnolia oil the metal and then gun stock oil the wood. I like to start the wood oil finishes with heated wood and heated virgin olive oil for the first 6 or so oiling times. Remember to sand and hot oil you heavy duty wood kitchen spoons and tools while you have the olive oil hot.:D:D

P:.S. It is a tweak under 3.5 inches at 3 7/16ths which makes it legal to carry through or past the metal detectors when you go into a federal building. I do not know if it is leagal on air travel. I prefer to travel by Private Coach (converted Prevost LeMirage), so air travel does not matter. If I fly with Brother Craig my knife is legal.

Paul Girouard
04-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Actually...... I guess it's language....
We use it every day in some form or another.

Some of it's even understandable , LOL.

Phillip Allen
04-29-2012, 07:03 PM
rock or shoe

Glen Longino
04-29-2012, 07:03 PM
A knife is the only tool I have with me all the time for the past 60 years and I use it more frequently than any other tool.
But for the sheer number of hours I've had the tool in my hand, it would be a hammer.
I'd likely be a cripple today if nail drivers had not come along in the seventies and saved my elbows.

Paul Girouard
04-29-2012, 07:13 PM
A knife is the only tool I have with me all the time for the past 60 years and I use it more frequently than any other tool.
But for the sheer number of hours I've had the tool in my hand, it would be a hammer.
I'd likely be a cripple today if nail drivers had not come along in the seventies and saved my elbows.

I thought you where cop?

Captain Intrepid
04-29-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd have to say the pen has been my most used hand tool so far.

John Smith
04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
I don't think it's a fair question. Perhaps one could make a very short list of tools most frequently used, but, truth is, various jobs of of various types. Clamps frequently come in handy, especially in a day and age where we have more adhesives. We also have a variety of very good tapes.

Do the hammer and the nail gun fall into "nail driving tools" as a category much used? Most of my screw driving is down with my cordless drill, so am I using the drill or a screwdriver?

Paul Pless
04-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't think it's a fair question. try not to over-think this one too much. . . .

Phillip Allen
04-29-2012, 07:33 PM
as a mason... trowel then hammer

Chris Coose
04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Christ, It could be you car keys, your toothbrush or your penis. I'm thinking trades tools.

Chris Coose
04-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Thought that silver case might have been your nitro holder

Glen Longino
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
I thought you where cop?

So, you actually Do believe what I say, Paul? Ha!;)
I never would have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes:D
I was a cop from age 21 to 24 in 1962-1965.
Became a father in 1963, and when my second daughter was born in 1965 I gave up the gun and the car at the request of my young wife who had suffered more than I had when I came home bloody and hurt. She told me bluntly that she could not tolerate it any longer and would not allow our baby girls to grow up watching me bleed.
For my family's sake, I gave it up and traded the gun for the hammer.

ChaseKenyon
04-29-2012, 07:55 PM
I haven't needed nitro in several years. My ticker has revascularized almost completely...from less than 50% to over 90%.

Man that is so cool. I am really happy happy for you.

:D:DY>Y>:D:D

Phillip Allen
04-29-2012, 08:05 PM
I haven't needed nitro in several years. My ticker has revascularized almost completely...from less than 50% to over 90%.

what did you do? (or stop doing?)

Phillip Allen
04-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Became a father in 1963, and when my second daughter was born in 1965 I gave up the gun and the car at the request of my young wife who had suffered more than I had when I came home bloody and hurt. She told me bluntly that she could not tolerate it any longer and would not allow our baby girls to grow up watching me bleed.

heck, I don't mind watching you bleed... :)

htom
04-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Pencil, with pen second.

I suspect I've spent more on pencils, lead holders, mechanical pencils, fountain pens, technical pens, ball and roller pens, leads and inks, than I have most other tools. Lost more of them, too.

pipefitter
04-29-2012, 08:16 PM
It would have to be the tape measure, but I hate to leave out one that makes my life easier that gets overlooked with much deserved glory and recognition, both at home and at work. And that would have to be the mighty broom.

Chris Coose
04-29-2012, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=ChaseKenyon;3395583]Man that is so cool. I am really happy happy for you.

+1

Glen Longino
04-29-2012, 08:18 PM
heck, I don't mind watching you bleed... :)

:D:D:D Too damn funny, Phillip!:D

TomF
04-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Hammer or paintbrush, if the measure is hours in the hand.

Number of uses is probably knife though, if we're discounting pencils and pens as not "trade" tools. I've carried a knife since I was 6.

skuthorp
04-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Does a car key qualify? These days I'd agree with a knife, it's in my pocket most of the time. In the past when I was working a pencil, even with computers I'd still buy them by the box.

Paul Girouard
04-29-2012, 08:29 PM

Ya , I'm a sucker , I generally assume people are not lying their arses off . Thanks for the whole story.

Art Reinhert
04-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Knife,fork,spoon.

JMAC
04-29-2012, 09:37 PM
I'd say the pencil and tape measure. They seem to be the starting point from which all the tools branch out from.

B_B
04-29-2012, 09:43 PM
If you're a bilge rat this is damned high on the list:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/3-Tastenmaus_Microsoft.jpg/233px-3-Tastenmaus_Microsoft.jpg

Art Reinhert
04-29-2012, 09:55 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/3-Tastenmaus_Microsoft.jpg/233px-3-Tastenmaus_Microsoft.jpg

Great answer! The daily posters here have no doubt used that tool ten thousand times more on this forum alone than they have ever used any tool to work on a wooden boat.

BrianW
04-29-2012, 10:05 PM
As a helicopter mechanic, I'm going to go with the flat tip screwdriver. Mostly for opening cowlings, and cans of oil.

Art Reinhert
04-29-2012, 10:08 PM
As a helicopter mechanic, I'm going to go with the flat tip screwdriver. Mostly for opening cowlings, and cans of oil.

What sort of modern oil container do you use that requires a screwdriver to open?

Steve McMahon
04-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Seriously, if measured in times used on a daily basis, it would be my Leatherman sidclip. I don't understand how anyone can be a real man without one. The right front pocket of every pair of pants I own shows wear because this thing is taken out and put back on so many times a day. Knife, screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, can opener, an extension of my existance. With the addition of a #8 woodscrew it even becomes a corkscrew.

Steve McMahon
04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Waht sort of modern oil container do you use that requires a screwdriver to open?

I guess aviation oil still comes in tins. It certainly did when I practiced starvation by aviation.

bobbys
04-29-2012, 10:17 PM
I'd likely be a cripple today if nail drivers had not come along in the seventies and saved my elbows..

Rumor around the tool shack is a Cats paw is your most used item!.

O my that's a cheap shot!LOL

Paul Girouard
04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
What sort of modern oil container do you use that requires a screwdriver to open?

Ones with MIL SPEC number on them.

Paul Girouard
04-29-2012, 10:25 PM

How about a Duezes (SP) key , mainly on a tactical jet the quick release fasteners are Duezes brand , more than likely spelled wrong , sounded like Zuess the mythical god.

BrianW
04-29-2012, 10:26 PM
I guess aviation oil still comes in tins. It certainly did when I practiced starvation by aviation.

Yep, at least around here it does. One liter cans mostly.

A close second ' most used' tool, would be safety wire pliers...

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCYXHQFYv70b8lpYU3PKAuGJ2pgCAIl mG_Bfv9NGrMrk1zpIJP

BrianW
04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
How about a Duezes (SP) key , mainly on a tactical jet the quick release fasteners are Duezes brand , more than likely spelled wrong , sounded like Zuess the mythical god.

Dzuz fasteners have mainly been superseded by cam-lock fasteners. But I still have my snoopy tool for the first Huey I was assigned as a crew chief at Ft Campbell, back in 1984. The Huey was a 1966 model. I'm a 1965 model. ;)

Art Reinhert
04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Ones with MIL SPEC number on them.

We buy Mil SPEC oil in plastic quart bottles. Aeroshell 100 is one of the ones we use.

Nicholas Scheuer
04-29-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm thinking it's my ratchet screwdrivers, yep, I've got several, all the same, the multiple bit type, with an old-style in-line selector just above the shank. I noticed a couple of days ago that I've lost too many bits, and have borrowed one from another of the drivers too many times. I need to find some refills. The Robertson bits actualy have been handy lately. Wordls' best screwdriver if you ask me.

Paul Girouard
04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Dzuz fasteners have mainly been superseded by cam-lock fasteners. But I still have my snoopy tool for the first Huey I was assigned as a crew chief at Ft Campbell, back in 1984. The Huey was a 1966 model. I'm a 1965 model. ;)

I'm sort of old school , Prowler's are on there way out, I'm sure the Growler's got the latest and greatest fasteners.

ETA:
You're just a kid Brian. :D

B_B
04-29-2012, 10:35 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/3-Tastenmaus_Microsoft.jpg/233px-3-Tastenmaus_Microsoft.jpgGreat answer! The daily posters here have no doubt used that tool ten thousand times more on this forum alone than they have ever used any tool to work on a wooden boat.
Seeing as we're not getting a lot of traction with this I think I'll nominate:
http://tenerifeonlineshopping.com/userfiles/image/2011/whisky/Jack-Daniels-Tennessee-Whiskey-lg_jpg.jpg

Art Reinhert
04-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Seeing as we're not getting a lot of traction with this I think I'll nominate:
http://tenerifeonlineshopping.com/userfiles/image/2011/whisky/Jack-Daniels-Tennessee-Whiskey-lg_jpg.jpg

There are at least a couple prolific posters who come to mind who used that tool here while posting. One is still banned and another is back after many banishments but seems to mostly be foregoing the forum and perhaps is finally attending to fixing some important matters in his life.

Alcohol fueled posters on internet forums, some professor somewhere must have done that study. :)

Plumbtex
04-29-2012, 11:07 PM
As a plumber, handsdown: douglas yellow handled pliers

Captain Intrepid
04-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Actually I'll renege. Most used and most important tool in my trade is a well tended set of Mark I Eyeballs.

Cedric Rhyn
04-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Belt sanders are actually pretty good things for sharpening pencils.

Cedric

True Donn. Whether I'm painting or hammering I've got a knife hung on me. The most common use this weekend was sharpening the pencil. Each clapboard got a line @ 3.5" run down it using a combo square.

stevebaby
04-30-2012, 03:54 AM
Belt sanders are actually pretty good things for sharpening pencils.

Cedric...and other things too!:D

Curtism
04-30-2012, 06:07 AM
Judging from all the jeans I've had with the pocket shredded on one side, I'd have to say tape measures saw the most use.

In my trade hammers were mostly for placing brads and pick-up nails on the loft or dismantling stuff, so they rank right up there.

For most used though, add me to those who said pencils. My favorites were 2 HB Mirado black warriors and Eberhard Faber col-erase. I also used to go through boxes of colored ball points like they were cigarettes. Plain old Bic mediums worked best on wood and dusty loft floors.

Of course, in terms of most used, electric pencil shapeners come in a close third. When I was lofting full time, I used to mulch my planter beds at the house with graphite dust and cedar shavings.

John Smith
04-30-2012, 06:35 AM
I had some left over wood. I made a garbage bag dispenser and a paper towel/napkin holder. Only need for a screwdriver was to open the can of stain, which was applied with a rag. Glue, clamps, and a saw were the tools needed, and some sanding.

This all seems depened on the type of things one does. If one does a lot of finishing work, I expect the sander moves up on the list. If one does some of that sanding with the old disc, it brings us back to the drill.

I'm guessing that most here, when they work with screws, use a cordless drill. May use it for some sanding, and, of course, drilling holes. It could hold a wire brush. I'm again guessing this gets more use than most other tools. Although it may not qualify as a hand tool.

BrianW
04-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Here's our oil cans. I screwed up the picture, but both say "turbine engine oil", but only one goes in the engine, the other in the gearboxes...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/Afghanistan%202012/oilcans.jpg

BrianW
04-30-2012, 09:33 AM

The classic Dzuz fastener "snoopy" tool...

http://www.averytools.com/images/SNOOPY.jpg

ishmael
04-30-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't know about most used, probably a paintbrush. Summers from college I painted houses and worked for the schoolboard painting schools.

My favorite edged tool is a spokeshave.

fishrswim
04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
I'd like to say pocket knife, but then I think about all the time I'm on line, so I have to say the computer.

Bill R
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
3 way tie. Pencil, pocket knife and leatherman

switters
04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
not a single vote for gronicle yet, the ol' bilge aint what it used to be.

I'll throw in another that hasn't been mentioned yet, disposable lighter.

Paul Pless
04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
the ol' bilge aint what it used to be.And you've only been here five years!!!

Flying Orca
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Mouse or cup/mug, depending on whether mouse is allowable.

John Meachen
04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Does sandpaper count?

seanz
04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Does sandpaper count?

Probably, it has numbers printed on it.

bobbys
04-30-2012, 07:00 PM
http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/store/img-hydroponics/true-temper-rocket-tt-20-oz-framing-hammer-a20rsl_230591267960.jpg.

Long handle 20oz Rocket hammer.

the_gr8t_waldo
04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
sharpie and tape measure