PDA

View Full Version : More from the liar

Gerarddm
04-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Mitt Romney spokesman now claims the auto bailout was his idea.

The first of many Etch-A-Sketch moments.

BrianW
04-29-2012, 03:20 AM
Who is Mitt's spokesman, and when did he decide to bail out the auto companies?

Ian McColgin
04-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Eric Fehrnstrom: Auto Bailout Was Mitt Romney's Idea
The Huffington Post | By Chris Gentilviso

Posted: 04/28/2012 6:05 pm Updated: 04/28/2012 8:53 pm

Top Mitt Romney adviser Eric Fehrnstrom claimed that President Obama's auto bailout was the GOP presidential hopeful's idea.

Fehrnstrom said Obama followed Romney's course to help the auto industry during an appearance at a Saturday roundtable discussion hosted by the The Washington Post.

“His position on the bailout was exactly what President Obama followed,” Fehrnstrom said. "He said, 'If you want to save the auto industry, just don't write them a check. That will seal their doom. What they need to do is go through a managed bankruptcy process.'"

"The only economic success that President Obama has had is because he followed Mitt Romney's advice," Fehrnstrom added.

Fehrnstrom made headlines back in late March for saying that Romney's GOP primary positions were as erasable as a drawing on an Etch a Sketch. Fehrnstrom's Saturday comments marked a different drawing on the auto bailout than what Romney penned in a November 2008 New York Times op-ed.

Headlined "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt," the piece closed with these words:

"In a managed bankruptcy, the federal government would propel newly competitive and viable automakers, rather than seal their fate with a bailout check," Romney wrote.

According to The Hill, Fehrnstrom pointed to that segment of the op-ed, noting that auto companies are now profitable because of how they cut costs through a "managed bankruptcy."

"It is exactly what Mitt Romney told them to do," Fehrnstrom said.

Over the course of the 2012 campaign, President Barack Obama's campaign has highlighted the successes of his administration's 2009 auto bailout, headed by the 1.4 million jobs that were saved in the process. In a March 2012 ad entitled "Made In America," Obama's campaign did not forget Romney's '08 stance.

"When a million jobs were on the line, every Republican candidate turned their back, even said, 'Let Detroit go Bankrupt,'" the ad said.

# # #

Vince Brennan
04-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Wow. Where do the Politicians get such erudite and well-trained staffers? Does no-one oversee the releases before they go out? Is it the candidate's job to vet the output of his flacks?

First the "Etch-a-sketch", now this....

Wow.

Ian McColgin
04-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Same guy. Still has a job. Now that shows great top down employer to employee loyalty.

Nicholas Scheuer
04-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Itr all comes from the Liar-In-Chief, Carl Rove. Mitt is nearly incapable of an original thought. Rove is a past master if repeating a lie often enough to fools so that the fools come to believe the lie as fact.

wardd
04-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Itr all comes from the Liar-In-Chief, Carl Rove. Mitt is nearly incapable of an original thought. Rove is a past master if repeating a lie often enough to fools so that the fools come to believe the lie as fact.

you have any fools here in mind?

Canoeyawl
04-29-2012, 12:42 PM

I'm certain that history will come to recognize Karl Rove in the same light as Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels

wardd
04-29-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm certain that history will come to recognize Karl Rove in the same light as Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels

i bet ol joe didn't have trouble getting a date

bobbys
04-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm certain that history will come to recognize Karl Rove in the same light as Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels.

Godwins law in 9!

bobbys
04-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Same guy. Still has a job. Now that shows great top down employer to employee loyalty..

Top down .

trickle down.

Odd Libs blast trickle down but take credit for saving GM ... One main reason to save the trickle down effect of jobs from suppliers, subcontractors wholesalers, ETC.

Maybe Obama really is Reagan after all...

bobbys
04-29-2012, 03:27 PM

The first of many Etch-A-Sketch moments..

I believe the real fact is President Bush started the bailouts.

Will Obama credit Bush.

I mean you cannot pick and choose, cherry pick what you want to all the time can you?

wardd
04-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Godwins law in 9!

not really, they use similar tactics of dissemination of propaganda

bobbys
04-29-2012, 03:33 PM
not really, they use similar tactics of dissemination of propaganda.

Invoking Godwins law is a admissin of defeat and inability to present any reasonable argument.

Dems the facts Jack!

wardd
04-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Invoking Godwins law is a admissin of defeat and inability to present any reasonable argument.

Dems the facts Jack!

in this case not really, you must know his history

bobbys
04-29-2012, 03:48 PM
in this case not really, you must know his history.

I know people use Godwins law but i never met one that defended it.

Must be a strange world you live in inhabited by Nazi's under every tree.

Are you a rein-actor?

wardd
04-29-2012, 04:06 PM

Are you a rein-actor?

in this case i think the comparison applies, call it what you will

fixed it

S.V. Airlie
04-29-2012, 04:08 PM
comparison apples? What?

Captain Intrepid
04-29-2012, 04:35 PM

Dems the facts Jack!

Internet knowledge fail.

Gowdin's law is that as a discussion on the internet grows longer, the probably of a comparison to Hitler or the Nazi's parties being drawn approaches %100. It doesn't necessarily invalidate any arguments, especially in the case of topics that are intimately associated with the third reich, like propaganda.

Canoeyawl
04-29-2012, 04:37 PM

You Sir, bobbys, are the only one bringing up Godwins law or defending it. Invoking the term "Godwins Law" as a deterrent to a legitimate argument is in fact disingenuous.
Those men both used similar tactics (Lies) to sway public opinion. The fact that the Nazi regime was one of the most horrific in living memory makes it ripe (and legitimate) for comparison to today's realities. Are you suggesting it was not, or that this manipulation of public opinion through lies is a good thing? Or are you simply defending Hitler and Goebbels?

Propagada is a fact of life. The trick is to spot it.
It is a legitimate argument to compare those men. And bringing up Godwin is no defense against it.

" For the political leader the religious doctrines and institutions of his people must always remain inviolable; or else has no right to be in politics, but should become a reformer, if he has what it takes!"

Ian McColgin
04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Anyway, the thread opener topic was Romney's aide claiming credit. Just a couple months ago Romney himself called it "crony capitalism on a grand scale". My question for Bobbys (or any other Romnista) is, which?

wardd
04-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Anyway, the thread opener topic was Romney's aide claiming credit. Just a couple months ago Romney himself called it "crony capitalism on a grand scale". My question for Bobbys (or any other Romnista) is, which?

that was then, this is now

after all mitt's a republican

Nicholas Scheuer
04-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Hey, If Obama has to take the blame for the Bailouts, he deserves to take the credit, too. Do you think Obama should take the blame for the Bailouts while Bush takes the credit? Yup, you probably do; just more BULL-CRAP from Repubs.

SamSam
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Hmmm. "Turdblossam" Goebbels.

SamSam
04-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Godwins law in 9!

Dems the facts Jack!Aren't you the one invoking Godwin's Law?

Dems the facts Jack!Wasn't this covered under "Make stuff up and present it as fact"?

Glen Longino
04-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Are you a rein-actor?

Ha! You, bobbys, chatter more about Godwin's Law than anybody here.
Is there a Nazi under your bed, under your skin, under your hat?

John Smith
04-30-2012, 12:03 AM
If it's not a lie, then it's one more reason not to vote for Romney.

I hope he's lying, but fear in his own mind and in his interpretation of Romney's thoughts, that he is not.

It certainly contradicts what Romneyhad been saying.

John Smith
04-30-2012, 12:05 AM

I believe the real fact is President Bush started the bailouts.

Will Obama credit Bush.

I mean you cannot pick and choose, cherry pick what you want to all the time can you?
NO one has denied that. However, the loans under Obama were opposed by the Republicans. Including Romney.

Canoeyawl
04-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Op-Ed ContributorLet Detroit Go BankruptBy MITT ROMNEYIF General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye. It won’t go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed.
Published: November 18, 2008link
(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=1)

John Smith
04-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Hard to believe people will vote for this man.

Even thoogh it won't be the industry standard, I can see ads showing Romney's self contradicting words, and the ad certifying nothing was taken out of context.

Dan McCosh
04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Op-Ed ContributorLet Detroit Go BankruptBy MITT ROMNEYIF General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye. It won’t go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed.
Published: November 18, 2008link
(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=1) What is missing from this whole thing is that Obama never gave GM, Ford and Chrysler "what they asked for" in November, 2008, but put together a strategy that included a structured bankruptcy for GM and Chrysler, considerable government money to all three companies, GM equity for U.S. taxpayers, a sweet deal for Fiat, negotiations with Canada and other foreign countries with U.S.-based holdings, etc. In short, Romney and Obama were on the same page, but Obama was in power and did it, quite quickly and efficiently. Romney's problem is making this look like a: Obama did something else, and b: Romney would have done it differently. Sounds like the health care issue all over again.
FWIW, it was Bush that handed cash over to the auto companies, with few strings attached.

Might also note that Romney seems to think that there was private capital available to support the auto companies after a structured bankruptcy, while the actual bailout was based on the notion that this wasn't available, in the midst of a financial meltdown, hence the dip into the treasury. Romney himself was in an unusual position in having access to capital--his own. He could have bought controlling interest himself, taken over GM and straightened it out personally.

Canoeyawl
04-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Much of that truth is evident in the linked article, I personally feel that GM had been on the skids for about ten years prior. It was interesting to note that Ford envied GM's structure in the fifties and tried to emulate it with good success. Unfortunately (for them) GM just continued to rest on thier laurels.

As far as Romney bailing out anyone, I don't think Mitt is comfortable using his own money.
MY problem with the Bain Capitol model is that a few people make big money whether it fails or succeeds, and the lions share of the workers and shareholders are screwed.
If there are no feelings of guilt associated with this, but instead a feeling of pride, that is not the man for me.

Concordia 33
04-30-2012, 03:05 PM

The first of many Etch-A-Sketch moments.

Maybe he did after reading about the troubled auto manufacturers on the internet that Al Gore Invented!

wardd
04-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Maybe he did after reading about the troubled auto manufacturers on the internet that Al Gore Invented!

al gore never said he invented the internet, more right wing drivel and lies

Gerarddm
05-08-2012, 10:36 AM
And now direct from The Liar's mouth:

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-taking-credit-auto-industry-success-031025566.html

Osborne Russell
05-08-2012, 10:44 AM

Are you sure that's what you want to say?

ccmanuals
05-08-2012, 11:06 AM
so we really can't blame this statement on a staffer after all.

During an interview yesterday with WEWS-TV in Cleveland, Mitt Romney continued his contortionist’s act (http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/romney-ill-take-lot-of-credit-for-auto) regarding the Obama administration’s rescue of the auto industry, saying that he deserves a lot of credit for the industry’s turnaround. “I’ll take a lot of credit (http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/political/Mitt-Romney-says-manufacturing-can-come-back-to-Ohio-and-explains-how) for the fact that this industry’s come back,” he said:
My own view, by the way, was that the auto companies needed to go through bankruptcy before government help. And frankly, that’s finally what the president did. He finally took them through bankruptcy. That was the right course I argued for from the very beginning. It was the UAW and the president that delayed the idea of bankruptcy. I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy and finally when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet. So I’ll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry’s come back.

boatbuddha
05-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Shep Smith had the best description of American politics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuF03PTNpp8