PDA

View Full Version : Why is it . . .

Katherine
04-27-2012, 06:10 PM
That those you love the most cause the most hurt?

Bobcat
04-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I wish I knew. I think part of it is a reaction to how much they depend upon you.

Donn
04-27-2012, 06:15 PM

That'll teach you to dance with the big awkward ape.

Katherine
04-27-2012, 06:16 PM
That'll teach you to dance with the big awkward ape.
You've net Paul? Lol

Katherine
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Yeah Tracy
I get it but it still makes me wish to scream.

Phillip Allen
04-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah Tracy
I get it but it still makes me wish to scream.

then DO SO and get it over with

Katherine
04-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I did, my pets think I'm m insane, plus it does nothing to the other person.

B_B
04-27-2012, 06:48 PM
If he burned another pair of your sweats I'll come down there myself.

(sorry you're feeling this way)

Glen Longino
04-27-2012, 06:57 PM
We need more info before we can condemn Pau...er, I mean, whomever is hurting you!;)

Bob Adams
04-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Kitty, what has the big lug gone and done this time?

Bobcat
04-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Tracey: I appreciate what you posted (won't quote it because that will preserve it if you do delete it). Accepting other's faults and foibles is necessary but can be difficult. It's been that way for centuries hence the bible verse about complaining about the mote in another's eye when you have a bloody log in your eye.

Some sayings that have helped me through a tough and continuing problematic time in my marriage:

"We are inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their acts."
Sir Harold George Nicolson

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."
Siddhartha Buddha

You can't change people; you can only change how you react to them...

Never attribute to malice that which may be due to ignorance, don’t attribute to genius what can more accurately be attributed to fortuitous chance.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

It's more important for someone to show you they love you then to tell you.

David G
04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
My sweetie and I have been together for 38 years. We still aggravate each other at times. Earlier in our history... there were several brushes with homicide... but she snapped out of it, and I eventually wised up. Counseling taught us some specific communications skills and coping tactics that have served us well, and seen us through subsequent rough times. I hope you can manage to survive and thrive as well!

Donn
04-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Who said "Gag me with a spoon?"

pcford
04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
My sweetie and I have been together for 38 years. We still aggravate each other at times. Earlier in our history... there were several brushes with homicide... but she snapped out of it, and I eventually wised up. Counseling taught us some specific communications skills and coping tactics that have served us well, and seen us through subsequent rough times. I hope you can manage to survive and thrive as well!

jeebus. that girl gotta be a saint...you did say she was in that business, right, David?

pcford
04-27-2012, 07:27 PM
was talking about this only today....yes, it's true that all women are crazy. However, you only have to get along with one...so make your accommodations. It's the only thing you can do.

elf
04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Mars. Venus.

Harbormaster
04-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Because if they didn't, there'd be nothing to write songs about. Or make movies.

LeeG
04-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Are you sure you have the cause and effect right?

Mrleft8
04-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Who said "Gag me with a spoon?"

Moon Unit Zappa I think.... In the song "Valley Girl"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB8JVTDOK-g

B_B
04-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Because if they didn't, there'd be nothing to write songs about. Or make movies.
And alcohol sales would plummet.

bobbys
04-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Im always available for romantic and Hot Tar roofing advice....

htom
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Part of it is that when we love someone, we trust them and let down some of the psychic barriers, expecting (very unreasonably) that we will not be able to be hurt by them (and that we will not hurt them either.) To love is to risk.

Katherine
04-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Mars. Venus.

Venus wishes to smack Mars up along side the head somedays.

Art Reinhert
04-27-2012, 09:27 PM

Are you sure you want to discuss this very personal subject on an internet forum where it will be available to the world, if not forever, at least for a long long time?

Something you might want to think about.

Good luck, I wish you the best, Art.

Katherine
04-27-2012, 09:30 PM
My posts here regarding Mars are made with a great deal of humor. Lol

pcford
04-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Are you sure you want to discuss this very personal subject on an internet forum where it will be available to the world, if not forever, at least for a long long time?

A reasonable point.

However, if I am not mistaken, this sordid congress in which we find ourselves was the source of the original hook-up.

Katherine
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
I should have bought a jet ski, lol

B_B
04-27-2012, 09:37 PM
However, if I am not mistaken, this sordid congress in which we find ourselves was the source of the original hook-up.
Art's barely been around two months. He's not to know all the sordid details of the WBF. But that's never stopped any one of us putting our two cents in...

bobbys
04-27-2012, 09:40 PM
You could tidy up around the place and make him some fried Chicken..

Katherine
04-27-2012, 09:41 PM
You could tidy up around the place and make him some fried Chicken..

Not likely

Steve McMahon
04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Having only been married for 25 years I am no expert, however, I was sent this tidbit from an old magazine that you may find helpful:

"The good wife'sguide" This is an actual article from the Housekeeping Monthly Magazine13 May 1955

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have adelicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him knowthat you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Mostmen are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especiallyhis favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so youll be refreshed when hearrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking.He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring daymay need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of thehouse just before your husband arrives.

Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. and then tables.

Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a firefor him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest andorder, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfortwill provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the childrens handsand faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change theirclothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing thepart. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise ofthe washer, dryer, or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

Be happy to see him.

Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to pleasehim.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, butthe moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first-remember histopics of conversation are more important than yours.

Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes outto dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try tounderstand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be athome and relax.

Your goal: to make sure your home is a place of peace, order, andtranquility where your husband can renew himself.

Dont greet him with complaints and problems.

Dont complain if hes late home for dinner or even if he stays out allnight. Count this as a minor compared to what he might have gone through thatday.

Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a chair or have him lie downin the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in low,soothing and pleasant voice.

Dont ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment orintegrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will alwaysexercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to questionhim.

A good wife always knows her place.

David G
04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Not likely

Not even if he allows you to do so dressed in saran wrap... or your favorite lacy bits? <G>

Katherine
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
He might get some of the "Good Wife " treatment if he'd just answer the phone!

bobbys
04-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Paul please call or you will end up like Glenn!.

http://www.cavemancircus.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2012/april/forever_alone/forever_alone_4.jpg

pipefitter
04-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Men are from Mars because it rhymes with cars. . .

David G
04-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Paul please call or you will end up like Glenn!.

http://www.cavemancircus.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2012/april/forever_alone/forever_alone_4.jpg

I don't know Glen like you do... he's the one on our extreme right?

pcford
04-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Art's barely been around two months. He's not to know all the sordid details of the WBF. But that's never stopped any one of us putting our two cents in...

ummm. I was talking about Katherine and Mr. Paul Pless.

pcford
04-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Having only been married for 25 years I am no expert, however, I was sent this tidbit from an old magazine that you may find helpful:

"The good wife'sguide" This is an actual article from the Housekeeping Monthly Magazine13 May 1955

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have adelicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him knowthat you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Mostmen are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especiallyhis favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

<snips>

A good wife always knows her place.

Snopes says that this is likely a fake...not that I would argue with one word, of course.

Lew Barrett
04-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the Zappa, Lefty. Very enjoyable!

I know I hurt the one I love the most almost every night when I roll over in bed and trap her hair under my elbow. Then, when she tries to roll over to escape......

pcford
04-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the Zappa, Lefty. Very enjoyable!

I know I hurt the one I love the most almost every night when I roll over in bed and trap her hair under my elbow. Then, when she tries to roll over to escape......

Two things:

1. The mysteries of attraction grow ever deeper as I age.
2. You are a lucky man Capt. Lew.

B_B
04-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Are you sure you want to discuss this very personal subject on an internet forum where it will be available to the world, if not forever, at least for a long long time?A reasonable point.

However, if I am not mistaken, this sordid congress in which we find ourselves was the source of the original hook-up.Art's barely been around two months. He's not to know all the sordid details of the WBF. But that's never stopped any one of us putting our two cents in...

ummm. I was talking about Katherine and Mr. Paul Pless.
Seemed you were saying that Art wasn't aware that the whole sordid mess has been on display since PMJ coined the whole Kitty and Pooh thing.

The suggestion that someone who's been here less than two months mightn't be aware of what happened >4 yrs ago seemed apropos.

hokiefan
04-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Here's hoping Kitty and Pooh caught up onthe phone, and all is now good.

Cheers,

Bobby

tigerregis
04-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Sorry, but anyone who suggests their "pets think" doesn't need advice.

Katherine
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Here's hoping Kitty and Pooh caught up onthe phone, and all is now good.

Cheers,

Bobby

He'd gave to answer the phone first. Lol

Katherine
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Sorry, but anyone who suggests their "pets think" doesn't need advice.

Huh?

Mrleft8
04-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Huh?

Clearly channeling another member of the forum who thinks they know more than their cat.....
How's the "new" job going?

Mrleft8
04-28-2012, 06:44 AM
this thread now seems.....familiar...LOL! you think he would be able to remember the last time this happened!

Have a great weekend- I hear the weather should be wonderful :)

I hear they only have an attention span of about 15 minutes at this age.... :D

Meli
04-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Katherine.
Your paul is a sweet, stubborn, naively insensitive bone head.
I pick this up from 12,000 miles away.:D

Just hit him with a frypan and then tell him what's wrong.
The only way messages get through, are when they are in a dazed state when they can't get their "logic" thingy to jump start.

Mrleft8
04-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Katherine.
Your paul is a sweet, stubborn, naively insensitive bone head.
I pick this up from 12,000 miles away.:D

Just hit him with a frypan and then tell him what's wrong.
The only way messages get through, are when they are in a dazed state when they can't get their "logic" thingy to jump start.
Ah......... Er............ Meli........ Dear......... Right now I'd say that advice on relationships from you is kinda like beauty tips from Phyllis Diller..... ;) :D

Meli
04-28-2012, 07:44 AM
On the contrary, I knew I was right in hindsight :p
I should have hit mine with a frypan years ago

Meli
04-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Snopes says that this is likely a fake...not that I would argue with one word, of course.

Nah, my sister has a 1950 something "Good Wife's guide to house keeping" (or something similar)

The various things posted on the internet as spoofs or jokes are = to the originals but done in silly voices.

Sad, the well meaning but misguided old pusses that wrote these tomes, missed the point.
Even in the fifties, most men would rather the missis had packed a sanger and said, your tired, go fishing than be greeted with a bow in the hair and a little pastry boat filled with fish roe :D

elf
04-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Ah......... Er............ Meli........ Dear......... Right now I'd say that advice on relationships from you is kinda like beauty tips from Phyllis Diller..... ;) :D
Ah, but she's so correct.

Milo Christensen
04-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Paul always answers his phone when I call.

McMike
04-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Paul always answers his phone when I call.

Ouch . . .:D

Hey, how ya feeling?

Katherine
04-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Paul always answers his phone when I call.bet he wouldn't right now

Milo Christensen
04-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Well, you're right, but I wouldn't ever call a guy while he was fishing, would I?

LeeG
04-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Well, you're right, but I wouldn't ever call a guy while he was fishing, would I?

Is THAT what this is about?
Sorry Katherine, if you can't let him have his own time while fishing he'll look for it even harder at home.

bobbys
04-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Make up fishing is the best!

Katherine
04-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Fishing my a$$

Mrleft8
04-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Fishing my a$$
I could....... But should I?.........
Nah!.....:D
Too easy! :D

LeeG
04-28-2012, 05:57 PM
I can only do so much with the information at hand. My fee is $.02 for this consultation.

Katherine
04-29-2012, 12:11 AM
$0.02? Leo is free and has a soothing purr.

Mrleft8
04-29-2012, 08:40 AM
$0.02? Leo is free and has a soothing purr.
And he knows when to go away, and when to pee in someone's shoes....:D

Katherine
04-29-2012, 09:19 AM
And he knows when to go away, and when to pee in someone's shoes....:D
He is MY cat after all

Mrleft8
04-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Goooood kitty! :D
(Leo.... not..... Oh..... well..... Yes you too! :D)

Katherine
04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Sometimes you get to the point whet you just can't swallow the pain and anger anymore.

LeeG
04-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Sometimes you get to the point whet you just can't swallow the pain and anger anymore.

take smaller bites

B_B
04-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Katherine http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
(http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=3395454#post3395454)Sometimes you get to the point whet you just can't swallow the pain and anger anymore.take smaller bites
& chew thoroughly.

Steve McMahon
04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
All men are ADHD, it's just a matter of degree.

I am fortunate my wife eventually lowered her standards to accomodate my......... well, my being a male.

All women are ..... oh look, something shiny, what was I saying ?