PDA

View Full Version : Rawfaith:the movie... its not just a English Race Built Galleon anymore!

Thad Van Gilder
04-26-2012, 04:43 AM
Here is the trailer for the movie about Rawfaith to be released in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcyDAWvV_CI

Ian McColgin
04-26-2012, 05:11 AM
The good we do is but a flicker while the bad is for the ages . . .

StevenBauer
04-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Is this film the one made by the Deisel Duck builder that posts here sometimes? I'd like to see the movie. After sailing around the boat so many times.

Thad Van Gilder
04-26-2012, 07:26 AM
I gotta say, Steven, I am pretty curious as well...

Hwyl
04-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Great trailer, you have to stand in awe at the amount of effort, albeit misplaced.

chuckt
04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Hmm. Interesting. I'm not sure I want to see it though. I end up feeling very sorry for earnest, yet totally misguided crusaders. I've run across several in my profession and I find the experience disturbing.

Ian McColgin
04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
The sight of that "captain" sitting alone and mornfully telling us how happy he is did it for me. I don't like feeling pity for someone as it's so condescending and makes me feel a bit soiled but there it is. Pity.

orbb
04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Hmm. Interesting. I'm not sure I want to see it though. I end up feeling very sorry for earnest, yet totally misguided crusaders. I've run across several in my profession and I find the experience disturbing.

Same here, although I think that some people who end up tilting at windmills are content with the journey and not the ultimate result. Some people seek the process and some people seek the result.

James McMullen
04-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Such an appalling lack of reason. That amount of effort minus the delusional monomania could have really been amazing. But it's obvious from the verystart that it was the raw faith itself that lead to the inexorable disaster that befell the Raw Faith.

wizbang 13
04-26-2012, 08:42 AM
When I hear and see that type of hand holding praying, I spit up in my mouth a little.

James McMullen
04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I wonder if ol' George still thinks that the Lord almighty himself had hand-selected him to build a free-lance interpretation of an "English race-built galleon"?

I'm pretty sure that a truly merciful God wouldn't have let that wretched train wreck crash and burn so excruciatingly slowly.

ARW123
04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
The good we do is but a flicker while the bad is for the ages . . .

Or as William Shakespeare had it:

"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Caesar..."

Bob Cleek
04-26-2012, 02:48 PM
As much crap as we've all given him over the years, building that thing was nonetheless a huge accomplishment. The sad thing was that once it was built, it was incapable of accomplishing anything more. It's really sort of like other bizzarre endless projects people undertake, like the Watts Towers and so on. They prove nothing and end up roadside attractions, at best. This was monument to hubris. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Tom3
04-26-2012, 04:44 PM
As much crap as we've all given him over the years, building that thing was nonetheless a huge accomplishment. The sad thing was that once it was built, it was incapable of accomplishing anything more. It's really sort of like other bizzarre endless projects people undertake, like the Watts Towers and so on. They prove nothing and end up roadside attractions, at best. This was monument to hubris. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Having followed the story from the beginning, I think George's arrogance brought on most if not all of the crap handed to him. Locally, very knowledgeable people listened to George tell them, how boats should be built, and sailed, for quite some time.

But New England civility can't last forever, especially around people who know boats and the sea.

I watched it sail once, the sight was surreal and I'll never forget it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/6970734788_81283cfca6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69732976@N06/6970734788/)
Raw Faith crop 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69732976@N06/6970734788/) by Tom Young 3 (http://www.flickr.com/people/69732976@N06/), on Flickr

I think the real story was told over several years and had a fitting ending, all around, as no one was hurt.

I'd like to see the movie, it would be fun, but I know the real story.

KABAR2
04-26-2012, 06:40 PM
I am new here and can't really comment on all that has transpired but looking at how high it was riding for it's legth, the short masts and rig that was used somehow I am not surprised by its ending...... this got Coast Guard approval?

Mike Vogdes
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM

Like the dude building a 3200 sq ft catamaran out there on the left coast, wonder whatever became of him?

Woxbox
04-26-2012, 07:14 PM
other bizzarre endless projects people undertake, like the Watts Towers

Not a fair comparison. The Watts Towers were never claimed to be more than they are, a remarkable piece of vernacular art. Raw Faith was a disaster by all measures.

RFNK
04-26-2012, 07:22 PM
I've never liked external chainplates. The sign is more interesting than the boat. Usually the signwriter with poor planning skills squeezes in the last few letters but this signwriter seems to have found an abundance and used it accordingly. The beatitudes in practice?

Rick

Wacoflyr
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
I saw this thing sail past us one day on Casco Bay. Downwind, it could have been outsailed by a lobsterboat just using it's riding sail with no motor. I'm not kidding. It had some sort of yawl boat to help it steer. It needed the yawlboat to help it miss French's Island, and then the Goslings. Not a lick of paint in sight. I too am glad that no one was hurt.

wizbang 13
04-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I got PO'ed when I watched the Leavitt (or what ever)movie years ago at the guys bad seamanship in not wanting to run and instead heaving to in a gulf stream gale. ( and loosing the schooner, a GOOD schooner). It was as if the chap cared more about the film than the vessel.
If this movie makes a dollar I might blow smoke outta my ears!!

Nicholas Scheuer
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Does Baxter do the Theme Music? I certainly enjoyed replaying it, over, and over, and over.

beernd
04-28-2012, 09:48 AM
All this effort dedication and love for the project, killed by a pig headed man.

It really is a shame because with some good advice it might have worked.

The only positive thing being that nobody got hurt

Peter Vella
04-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Did he paint the hull with roofing tar? In the later picture I have seen of Raw Faith the topsides are unfinished timber, but in that video of the launch they appear to be painted black.

It's a good thing this saga didn't happen in Europe or else the EU probably would have used it as an excuse to pass all kinds of legislation resticting the home building of boats.

duck builder
01-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Well, you should see the movie ;-0. It would be fun. Every person that I know who has seen it has liked it. And honestly, it is pretty much the real story. The Producer.

duck builder
01-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Is this film the one made by the Deisel Duck builder that posts here sometimes? I'd like to see the movie. After sailing around the boat so many times.
Hi Steven, yes its me. "I'm baaaack" ;-0

StevenBauer
01-11-2014, 03:40 PM
How do we see it Greg? I saw Matt Murphy's review in the latest WoodenBoat.

and how's the Duck coming along?

Steven

duck builder
01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
How do we see it Greg? I saw Matt Murphy's review in the latest WoodenBoat.Steven

and how's the Duck coming along?

Hi Steven and others: There are several screenings that are either scheduled or in the works. I will be showing RawFaith as part of the Maine Boat Builders Show in Portland, ME this March and will have a table at the show so if you are there come by and say Hi. Also you can order the DVD from the website (rawfaithmovie.com) or as a digital download from thesailingchannel.tv I have a mailing list on the website and try and send out eblasts and facebook postings when there is something coming up. I also regularly post photos from the RawFaith archives on the movie facebook page (rawfaithmovie). The duck has languished a bit, but I did raise the stem and put my 6 cyl IVECCO on the engine bed this past summer. I will be setting up a facebook page for the duck project later this month with pictures and updates from all the progress I plan to make this summer ;-0 Thanks for asking about, well everything. Greg R.