PDA

View Full Version : Why do our presidents appear on Jay Leno, David Letterman, etc...?

bamamick
04-25-2012, 11:44 AM
and do you think that it's proper? I don't. I never have. I have always thought that gravitas is a big deal in a president. I don't WANT to know about his wife or kids or dog or vacations and I darn sure don't want to see him (and one day, her) try and be funny or play a saxaphone or sing or whatever. I want him to do his or her job.

I guess I am just too old and too uncool to appreciate it all, but I just don't understand it, and if I were someone who had had my mortgage foreclosed upon because I had been out of work for a long time and things weren't improving I don't think I'd understand it at all. And this is not a barb slung at Mr. Obama in particular. It's just that sometimes I wonder if I have more respect for his job than he does or anyone does who decides that being a guest on latenight television is a proper thing for the leader of the free world (whatever that means these days) to be doing.

jmo

Mickey Lake

bamamick
04-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Wasn't Bill Clinton on Saturday Night Live at one time?

Mickey Lake

ron ll
04-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Wasn't Bill Clinton on Saturday Night Live at one time?

Mickey Lake

Goes back farther than that. Nixon was on Laugh-In.

LeeG
04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Well now that folks aren't gathering around the radio or community events like the county fair as much we've got tv so that's where the POTUS will go to wave at the people. It's one of the job descriptions.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 12:40 PM
If this guy wants to Slow jam and jump the shark on comedy shows in a last ditch effort to be "cool" its ok by me...

Whats next?.

Jeopardy or Afternoon Soaps?

wardd
04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
because people watch?

BrianY
04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
and do you think that it's proper? I don't. I never have. I have always thought that gravitas is a big deal in a president. I don't WANT to know about his wife or kids or dog or vacations and I darn sure don't want to see him (and one day, her) try and be funny or play a saxaphone or sing or whatever. I want him to do his or her job.

I agree. I DON'T want the President to be a "regular guy" or "just like me". I want him/her to be BETTER than that.

ron ll
04-25-2012, 02:16 PM
I agree. I DON'T want the President to be a "regular guy" or "just like me". I want him/her to be BETTER than that.

You would rather have royalty than a "government of the people"?

bamamick
04-25-2012, 02:40 PM
No, I don't agree with your point. The president - ANY president, is NOT just like me, and is NOT a regular guy, and what bothers me is idiots like Romney getting off a plane in Birmingham (Alabama) and saying 'howdy y'all', like he is a cast member from the old 'Hee Haw' show or telling people in Jackson, Mississippi that he had grits for lunch. Who the heck cares what he had for lunch, and if he had grits I doubt he had much of them. I don't even want to think of these people trying to act like they THINK we (regular guys) act.

I don't like it that these guys are elitist snobs who are doing this mostly for reasons of self-aggrandizement or personal gain but I would rather one of them stand there and tell me that honestly than act like some 'regular guy'. Just do your darn job, that's all America (or any democracy) asks. Right?

Mickey Lake

BrianY
04-25-2012, 03:16 PM
You would rather have royalty than a "government of the people"?

No, not at all. I would prefer that we elect exceptionally talented and intelligent people instead of "average joes" to be our leaders. The great Presidents were NOT average joes in any sense, even if they came from humble beginnings. The fact that they were able to rise up from humble roots to become exceptional Presidents is proof positive that they were not "regular guys".

Americans aere, for the most part, totally unreasonable when it comes to choosing leaders. We want them to be regular down to earth people who are "just like us" but who are also extraordinarily gifted speakers, visionaries, planners, charasmatic and strong leaders etc. etc.

Look at your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc. - the average joes all around you. Would you want any of them to be President? If not, why not? I bet it's because you want the President to be something more than average too. (at least I hope so).

Flying Orca
04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I think the premise that appearing on a popular TV show somehow makes one "average", or otherwise demeans one's exalted stature as president, is just plain silly.

I agree that you want a chief executive of exceptional intelligence and ability, though I think the process by which you go about choosing them is bloody awful if that's your goal. Once they are hired, I see no reason why they shouldn't relax occasionally, and no reason why they shouldn't try to reach people in a less formal context than the annual State of the Union address. Particularly if they are more social than most, they probably enjoy that kind of thing, and suppressing it isn't likely to be particularly good for them. It's safer than shaking random hands in a crowd.

BrianY
04-25-2012, 05:20 PM
I think the premise that appearing on a popular TV show somehow makes one "average", or otherwise demeans one's exalted stature as president, is just plain silly.

I agree. It's not the appearance on the shows that is the problem. What is demeaning is when they try oh so hard to appear to be more "average" than they really are. It's perfectly fine for a President to be human. It's not fine for him/ her to be a "pander bear".

I agree that you want a chief executive of exceptional intelligence and ability, though I think the process by which you go about choosing them is bloody awful if that's your goal.

+1000000000000!!!!

Flying Orca
04-25-2012, 06:21 PM
It's not the appearance on the shows that is the problem. What is demeaning is when they try oh so hard to appear to be more "average" than they really are.

We're in complete agreement there! ...but I'm an unabashed elitist, and I hate to see anyone dumb themselves down for popularity's sake.

Paul Pless
04-25-2012, 06:32 PM
And, FWIW, nobody does it better than Obama.Bill Clinton did it better, if you like that sort of thing. . .

Hank Rearden
04-25-2012, 08:40 PM
I think it's an outstanding thing. I LIKE to see Presidents letting their hair down, connecting with ordinary people, demonstrating that they're first and foremost, people like you and me, not just statesmen with gravitas.

And, FWIW, nobody does it better than Obama.

More like pandering to the morons who watch those programs. And you're right, nobody does it better than Obama.

jclays
04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
I believe that it reduces the respect of the office of President. They should stay out of the TV shows no matter which President we are talking about. It cheapens the office.

skuthorp
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Why? Demographics. Carefully researched demographics at that so as to target the required audience/voters in a crowded market. People record and fast forward through adds these days which is why the product is embedded in the show and the same applies to political advertising.

seanz
04-25-2012, 10:22 PM
I believe that it reduces the respect of the office of President. They should stay out of the TV shows no matter which President we are talking about. It cheapens the office.

Really? Just as long as the POTUS stays off Hollywood Squares......

skuthorp
04-26-2012, 02:52 AM
"Cheapens the office" eh? Considering that mostly it's bought by very rich men supported by other very rich men who expect to get richer as a consequence that's ironic really.

wardd
04-26-2012, 09:21 AM
why are there no comedy shows on fox?

Iceboy
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Family guy, the Simpsons, American Dad, Bob's Burgers etc.....
why are there no comedy shows on fox?

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
You find most of the the population clustered at some intellectual level and you go there so they understand your plans.

Pless is wrong as usual. Obama is in charge wherever he goes. If Pless had watched "Frontline" on Tuesday night he would know that.

Osborne Russell
04-26-2012, 01:55 PM
I agree with Bamamick. A jest here and there can be a good thing, but when in doubt, leave it out.

S.V. Airlie
04-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Goes back farther than that. Nixon was on Laugh-In.For some reason, I don't put laugh-in into the same category as the others.