PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate choice of words: Ann Romney

Uncle Duke
04-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm sure that she wishes that she had phrased this differently! :D

I love the fact that there are women out there who don’t have a choice and they must go to work and they still have to raise the kids.

Thank goodness for her further comments, which probably better reflect her intent:

Thank goodness that we value those people too. And sometimes life isn’t easy for any of us.

Reported here (http://thinkprogress.org/special/2012/04/24/469896/ann-romney-women-work/).

bobbys
04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Today from the libs we have...

Spouse.

Mormonism.

Richie rich.

classy!

B_B
04-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Today from the libs we have...

Spouse.
classy!
Why is the word 'spouse' not classy?
Or are you scraping the bottom of your outrage barrel?

bobbys
04-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Why is the word 'spouse' not classy?
Or are you scraping the bottom of your outrage barrel?.

Just leave the families out of it, Its that simple.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
She 'loves' the fact?

Meaning no disrespect to Ann Romney, who I'm sure is a lovely woman, I'm not sure I understand what there is to 'like' about having to work and raise kids at the same time. People do this, most often, because they HAVE to, not because they want to.... and there's hardly any question; if you accept the notion that raising 5 kids while dealing with breast cancer and multiple sclerosis is a 'hard' thing to do, then doing all that PLUS having to earn a living is an order of magnitude harder. Women in situations like that don't 'like' it, at all... they do it because they HAVE to.

Ann Romney would probably be better off not making ANY unscripted comments.... because, like her husband, she reinforces the elitist impression, every time she speaks..

Translation.. Woman should not speakLOL

Lew Barrett
04-25-2012, 01:39 PM

To be left out of the rhetoric, they must stay out of the limelight. Once they comment for the record, they are in the game.

Osborne Russell
04-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Listen to you. You mean leave the families out of the politics, or out of government? Neither. Your sales pitch would be gutted without the sentimentality.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 01:43 PM
To be left out of the rhetoric, they must stay out of the limelight. Once they comment for the record, they are in the game..

O here we go again The Palin kids had the gall to walk up on the stage so everyone on the left justified their attacks.

David G
04-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Well, no... it's not that simple.

In this case, it's just another nothing. A bit of fluffy 'gotcha'. Tempest in a teacup.

But... since the Republican's jumped so hard on the other recent AR 'tempest'... the partisans are gonna reciprocate.

And... as Norm said... the spouses should be able to choose their level of involvement/aloofness. If they stay out of the fray, they should be left out of the fray. Too bad neither side honors that ethic. But... if they choose to speak out (which, as I say, they should feel perfectly welcome to do) then they can no longer claim immunity.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Since you lack a good grasp on the English language, perhaps you shouldn't have the temerity to try to translate. In this case, you obviously didn't understand a single thing I said..

I understood perfectly..

Ann Romney... Elitist.

Pretty much your drum beat..

Only this time you resort to the wife in a show of absolutely no class.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, no... it's not that simple.

In this case, it's just another nothing. A bit of fluffy 'gotcha'. Tempest in a teacup.

But... since the Republican's jumped so hard on the other recent AR 'tempest'... the partisans are gonna reciprocate.

And... as Norm said... the spouses should be able to choose their level of involvement/aloofness. If they stay out of the fray, they should be left out of the fray. Too bad neither side honors that ethic. But... if they choose to speak out (which, as I say, they should feel perfectly welcome to do) then they can no longer claim immunity..

You want the "right" to have Obama hold his fake moral ground by saying keep my family out of it while his fans do the opposite.

Blatant hypocrisy.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Listen to you. You mean leave the families out of the politics, or out of government? Neither. Your sales pitch would be gutted without the sentimentality..

Again.

Leave the Wife out of it.

Simple.

But you libs cannot resist wallowing in the gutter.

Mrleft8
04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
So, what you're really trying to say, Bobby(s), is that the wimmin folks are fragile, and need the strong men folks to stop picking on them, so they don't get a case of the hysteria, and need some of that thar Laudanum to calm their feminine nervousness?

Uncle Duke
04-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I was just pointing out that it was a unfortunate choice of words, probably not what she intended. Hard to see how that is "the gutter".
When someone speaks in public, specifically for broad public distribution, I don't think it is unfair to comment on what they said. Is your contention that we should ignore what a public figure says when they are a keynote speaker at a Republican Awards Dinner?

Hard to "leave the wife out of it" when that person goes out of their way to speak in public, on the record.

B_B
04-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Anyone who gets in front of a TV camera and voluntarily opens their mouths and offers opinions is making themselves open to rebuttal. If they don't want to be rebutted they shouldn't opine.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:02 PM
So, what you're really trying to say, Bobby(s), is that the wimmin folks are fragile, and need the strong men folks to stop picking on them, so they don't get a case of the hysteria, and need some of that thar Laudanum to calm their feminine nervousness?.

What im really saying is i do not Quote the Democrat families so do not expect libs to go after rep families...

Strange how libs here froth at the mouth to justify this..

How come not one lib will rebuke this?

Why can you not listen to the Prez on this?

wardd
04-25-2012, 02:03 PM

Again.

Simple.

then she should stay out of it, can't have it both ways

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:04 PM
I was just pointing out that it was a unfortunate choice of words, probably not what she intended. Hard to see how that is "the gutter".
When someone speaks in public, specifically for broad public distribution, I don't think it is unfair to comment on what they said. Is your contention that we should ignore what a public figure says when they are a keynote speaker at a Republican Awards Dinner?

Hard to "leave the wife out of it" when that person goes out of their way to speak in public, on the record..

Reality is you were counting on gathering the troops for a Ann Romney slam session.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:06 PM
then she should stay out of it, can't have it both ways.

But yet libs scream like raped snakes if someone here mentions MO but with a added Race card.

Why do not you step up and demand a stop to it.

I rebuke anyone here talking personal trash about Nancy Pelosie

Uncle Duke
04-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Reality is you were counting on gathering the troops for a Ann Romney slam session.
I beg your pardon?

Actually, no I don't. You don't know me at all and apparently just make the assumptions which comfort you. Sad, for someone who is occasionally very funny.

Chip-skiff
04-25-2012, 02:09 PM
then she should stay out of it, can't have it both ways

Agree. She's been useful to Fox News and similar propaganda outlets. I won't attack her personally, since I have well-to-do Mormon aunts who are rather similar, and are not bad people on the whole. But their worldview is pretty limited, and also deeply biased by their religion and wealth.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Anyone who gets in front of a TV camera and voluntarily opens their mouths and offers opinions is making themselves open to rebuttal. If they don't want to be rebutted they shouldn't opine..

I agree if one starts talking about the Budget or appears in Congress have at it but do not start nit picking just for the sake of nit picking.

Its ..well.. Pathetic

B_B
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
.I agree if one starts talking about the Budget or appears in Congress have at it but do not start nit picking just for the sake of nit picking.

Its ..well.. Pathetic
So "certain" policies are bobbys approved for rebuttal, but other's aren't? Excellent.

Tangentially, if a Presidential candidate appoints someone to be their sole advisor on a certain topic or set of topics, ought that persons musings about these not come under scrutiny? Or only their 'official' positions?

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
I beg your pardon?

Actually, no I don't. You don't know me at all and apparently just make the assumptions which comfort you. Sad, for someone who is occasionally very funny..

Whats sad is you started a thread in a "gotcha" mode for something so trivial.

Sorry i cannot always be the Bilge jester..

I certainly cannot count on any one else to say knock off the C#@p.

I know people here will use the button to not listen to common sense and basic courtesy thus the blanked out letters

B_B
04-25-2012, 02:17 PM
.I certainly cannot count on any one else to say knock off the C#@p.
I've asked you to on at least a couple occasions...got me about as far as you're getting here.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:18 PM
So "certain" policies are bobbys approved for rebuttal, but other's aren't? Excellent.

Tangentially, if a Presidential candidate appoints someone to be their sole advisor on a certain topic or set of topics, ought that persons musings about these not come under scrutiny? Or only their 'official' positions?.

If you cannot figure out the difference its a exercise in futility trying to exsplain it to you.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
I've asked you to on at least a couple occasions...got me about as far as you're getting here..

I see so its more of a revenge thing then the topic here of libs trying to justify nasty tactics?

Uncle Duke
04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Whats sad is you started a thread in a "gotcha" mode for something so trivial.

Sorry i cannot always be the Bilge jester.

I'm sorry that you jumped to the conclusion that this was a "gotcha" - I thought her "mis-speak" was humorous, that is why there was a "smiley" icon with it. I guess we just don't always see humor in the same things.

I don't think anyone expects you to act the jester all the time, I was just faintly surprised that you didn't see any humor in it. Personally, I find often find humor in someone doing the facepalm and saying "Aw, darn - did I really say that?".

I don't see as much, if any, humor in being attacked and derided for something which I didn't do. But maybe that's just me. And, luckily, it doesn't really matter.

elf
04-25-2012, 02:22 PM
She did exactly mean the words she chose. She "loves" all kinds of things, just about any thing from the boy's 3rd grade drawings to having a nanny for the youngest child. She's using a turn of phrase that has nothing to do with thinking about the actual meaning of the words she's chosen.

Just as Gang-land-o offers "affective" in his cut and paste, people like to Romneys use "love" - reflexively and with ignorance and thoughtlessness

Phillip Allen
04-25-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm sure that she wishes that she had phrased this differently! :D

Thank goodness for her further comments, which probably better reflect her intent:

Reported here (http://thinkprogress.org/special/2012/04/24/469896/ann-romney-women-work/).

I am fed up with gotcha politics and political 'gamsmenship'

wardd
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM

But yet libs scream like raped snakes if someone here mentions MO but with a added Race card.

Why do not you step up and demand a stop to it.

I rebuke anyone here talking personal trash about Nancy Pelosie

when she says something stupid you may criticize

B_B
04-25-2012, 02:27 PM
.If you cannot figure out the difference its a exercise in futility trying to exsplain it to you.
She's made public comments. She taken a public stance. She's his sole advisor on 'women's issues'. That these facts are outweighed by your sense of keeping her 'in her place' as nothing other than window dressing to be prettied up and trotted out in front of the crowd as a distraction is extremely disappointing to anyone who is trying to raise strong, intelligent, independent daughters.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry that you jumped to the conclusion that this was a "gotcha" - I thought her "mis-speak" was humorous, that is why there was a "smiley" icon with it. I guess we just don't always see humor in the same things.

I don't think anyone expects you to act the jester all the time, I was just faintly surprised that you didn't see any humor in it. Personally, I find often find humor in someone doing the facepalm and saying "Aw, darn - did I really say that?".

I don't see as much, if any, humor in being attacked and derided for something which I didn't do. But maybe that's just me. And, luckily, it doesn't really matter..

I apologize to you personally if you meant no harm, As you can see Some here took the opportunity to expand on the topic.

I think we can and should agree to leave Michelle and Ann out of it this election season.

Fair enough?

B_B
04-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I see so its more of a revenge thing then the topic here of libs trying to justify nasty tactics?
No, pointing out your exercise in futility.

Chris Coose
04-25-2012, 02:29 PM
so they don't get a case of the hysteria, and need some of that thar Laudanum to calm their feminine nervousness?

Looks like nervous pills for this moment of hysteria, ought to be in bobbys dose box today.

I am very much looking forward to Ms. Romney standing right by her man and talking up domesticity politics.

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
I can't wait, then, until Michelle gets on the campaign trail. She will be good for a few gaffes Right?Let's talk about finally being proud to be an American..Think she might repeat that one this year?:)?

Uncle Duke
04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I apologize to you personally if you meant no harm, As you can see Some here took the opportunity to expand on the topic.
Thanks. I thought it was a funny moment, opinions may differ.

I think we can and should agree to leave Michelle and Ann out of it this election season.
I still think that if either of them speaks out in a public forum and has an "Aw, sh*t. Did I really say that?" moment, that I will still feel free to find humor in it. :D
If someone else doesn't find it funny, well, it's a big world.

wardd
04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I can't wait, then, until Michelle gets on the campaign trail. She will be good for a few gaffes Right?Let's talk about finally being proud to be an American..Think she might repeat that one this year?:)?

you didn't understand her the first time so what makes you think you will understand her next time?

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks. I thought it was a funny moment, opinions may differ.

I still think that if either of them speaks out in a public forum and has an "Aw, sh*t. Did I really say that?" moment, that I will still feel free to find humor in it. :D
If someone else doesn't find it funny, well, it's a big world..

Sure, but when comments turn ugly will you rebuke them?.

You did not here...

Or will you just say its not my responsibility.

There was no "humor" in some here but they used it as a NASA launch pad..

You cannot watch this big world from space after you set the rockets off.

bobbys
04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
No, we can't. If either one speaks out to the press and public on a topic, then they don't get 'immunity'. As far as I know, neither Sasha, nor Melia, have spoken to the press, so they deserve to be left alone. Michelle Obama took her lumps for her comment about being proud of America.... and Ann Romney can take HER lumps, too. If she doesn't like it, nobody is forcing her to speak up..

All it took was for the Palin kids to walk on the stage to be targets from the left.

Why do you try and justify this?

wardd
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM

All it took was for the Palin kids to walk on the stage to be targets from the left.

Why do you try and justify this?

the palins mother and daughter were/are in it for the money

Uncle Duke
04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
You did not here...
Or will you just say its not my responsibility.
There was no "humor" in some here but they used it as a NASA launch pad..
You cannot watch this big world from space after you set the rockets off.

It is neither my job, nor my place, to rebuke anyone (including you) for having opinions which differ from my own. As said, it's a big world. And I'm OK with that.
Having said that, if I think someone is really out of line (or factually incorrect) I will certainly feel free to disagree with them.

Again, we are different, you and I. I don't really see anything "ugly" here, at least so far. As you do, you are fully free to rebuke those posters for their comments if you so choose. No problem.

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2012, 02:50 PM
you didn't understand her the first time so what makes you think you will understand her next time?I'm glad that someone told you what it meant wardd. Who was it that told you and do you have a C&P to show me?? You don't think on your own and have to always repeat what someone else says..

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Norman who blindly fails to read the forum muchless the bilge.That would be inconvenient afterall.

B_B
04-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Ugliness on this thread started in post #2 and continues on in post #6.

A lot of projection going on here fella. Something you need to get off your chest?

Hank Rearden
04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
She 'loves' the fact?

Meaning no disrespect to Ann Romney, who I'm sure is a lovely woman, I'm not sure I understand what there is to 'like' about having to work and raise kids at the same time. People do this, most often, because they HAVE to, not because they want to.... and there's hardly any question; if you accept the notion that raising 5 kids while dealing with breast cancer and multiple sclerosis is a 'hard' thing to do, then doing all that PLUS having to earn a living is an order of magnitude harder. Women in situations like that don't 'like' it, at all... they do it because they HAVE to.

Ann Romney would probably be better off not making ANY unscripted comments.... because, like her husband, she reinforces the elitist impression, every time she speaks.

Norman, is that part of Obamacare that we've overlooked or something? Does it force us to have kids in addition to forcing us to buy insurance? Under what circumstances does someone HAVE TO have kids? It seems to me the people you're referring to made a choice to put themselves in their circumstances.

Osborne Russell
04-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Again.

Simple.

The personal virtues of their families were made into campaign fodder by Republicans. Tell them to keep the families out.