PDA

View Full Version : Romney's victory speech

John Smith
04-25-2012, 06:58 AM
I don't know how many here heard his speech last night. It was actually one of his better speeches, teleprompters and all. That was the first thing that I thought was weird. After complaints about Obama using teleprompters, I has expected him to try not using them.

Well presented as it was, I found it quite disturbing in many ways. He did a lot of talking without really saying anything, and his audience ate it up. The few things he did say seem to be totally at odds with his support of the Ryan budget and other things he's said.

There seems to be a blinding affect of Obama hatred. The Ryan budget allows student loan interest to double as it does not extend the current rates, passed, I believe, under Bush. How can one tell students the he supports them and wants them to get an education and at the same time support a doubling of their interest rates? More importantly is how any college age person would support a candidate who thinks like this.

I expect one can make an argument that different choices/decisions might have led to a faster recovery, but there's no valid argument that the stimulus had no positive affect, that helping Gm had no positive affect, etc. This is a man who has said many times Obama didn't create this mess, but his policies have made it worse. This is a man who has denied saying it is worse, and a man who has said it is getting better.

He also spoke last night as if the entire economic problem is Obama's fault. He has covered all bases, position wise.

Elections like this one should be an honest comparison of the two candidates and the record of the incumbant president. He also never seems to mention the role of congress.

I don't understand the crowd. Haven't we reached the point where we, the people, question the candidate as to how he's going to do the things he promises? We all like the stated goals, but we should be sophisticated enough to know that goals, no matter how good, need to pass congress. I got severely chastised in '08 for daring to ask people how Obama was going to get Republican cooperation.

In Romney's case, he's on record as wanting to increase defense spending, supporting more tax cuts for the wealthy, and promises to balance the budget. "How?" would be worth asking.

Keith Wilson
04-25-2012, 08:11 AM
. . . teleprompters and allEvery politician, left, right, or center uses a teleprompter. Can you blame them, when the consequences of slipping and saying something wrong that gets repeated endlessly out of context are so huge? The complaints about Obama using them are completely bogus.

"How?" would be worth asking.We know how. He's endorsed Paul Ryan's budget, which is in effect a gigantic transfer of resources from the poor to the rich. It matters very little what he really believes down deep (if anything). Take him at his word. Politicians when elected almost always try to do what they said they'd do when running.

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2012, 10:44 AM
John
There are differences between a candidate's speech given during the primary
speeches he gives once anointed as the candidate
and once he becomes president elect

It comes down to what he knows about the internal workings of the gov.
As a candidate, one is not briefed that much by gov. officials. Not top secret memos,no clearances, just a glimpse
once anointed, a candidate might be privy to more
As an elected president, he is given top clearance for all intents and purposes and the last chapter of the book can be viewed

I can understand Romney does not go into details on a particular topic. As a candidate, he may not be privy to them. If he goes into details, he might very well end up a creek and be caught being wrong. Makes sense not to say a lot except generalities now.

Question John: in 08, during the primaries did Obama give regarding details.Obama ran on a concept: "hope and change"..Details?Nope! He promised to close Gitmo, but did not have,as the candidate in 08, a clear understanding how to do that. He was not privy to much of the info, the politics of closing it etc. It has, in some cases, come back to bite him as part is still open and he realized that might happen only when he became president elect.He found out then what closing gitmo intailed and what he saw, as president elect, probably didn't make him happy.I suspect that closing gitmo was a fait comple' as a candidate.

Another point: You talk about crowds cheering Romney when Romney didn't say or mention details or be very specific. How many people during Obama's speeches given right up to the election, didn't scream and dance, and swoon over his "Hope and change" and "cleaning up go. in Washington" positions? No details then either..Just sound bites of future speeches until the candidate grasps the ring.

John Smith
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
John
There are differences between a candidate's speech given during the primary
speeches he gives once anointed as the candidate
and once he becomes president elect

It comes down to what he knows about the internal workings of the gov.
As a candidate, one is not briefed that much by gov. officials. Not top secret memos,no clearances, just a glimpse
once anointed, a candidate might be privy to more
As an elected president, he is given top clearance for all intents and purposes and the last chapter of the book can be viewed

I can understand Romney does not go into details on a particular topic. As a candidate, he may not be privy to them. If he goes into details, he might very well end up a creek and be caught being wrong. Makes sense not to say a lot except generalities now.

Question John: in 08, during the primaries did Obama give regarding details.Obama ran on a concept: "hope and change"..Details?Nope! He promised to close Gitmo, but did not have,as the candidate in 08, a clear understanding how to do that. He was not privy to much of the info, the politics of closing it etc. It has, in some cases, come back to bite him as part is still open and he realized that might happen only when he became president elect.He found out then what closing gitmo intailed and what he saw, as president elect, probably didn't make him happy.I suspect that closing gitmo was a fait comple' as a candidate.

Another point: You talk about crowds cheering Romney when Romney didn't say or mention details or be very specific. How many people during Obama's speeches given right up to the election, didn't scream and dance, and swoon over his "Hope and change" and "cleaning up go. in Washington" positions? No details then either..Just sound bites of future speeches until the candidate grasps the ring.

Utter nonsense. If he tells people he's going to create jobs, it is, I think, his responsibility to tell us how he plans to do that and connect all the dots.

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
And Obama said he was going to close gitmo. Okay got it. It's still here for a variety of reasons. Obama also said he was going to clean up washington. Okay, got it. To me, it's worse. He promised hop..Okay, a lot of people don't have a lot now do they? Your post is the one that is totally nonsense John. Not surprised that you went in this direction. Ignoring what I posted, choosing what you wanted to reply to and ignoring the rest. Good show!.

wardd
04-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Utter nonsense. If he tells people he's going to create jobs, it is, I think, his responsibility to tell us how he plans to do that and connect all the dots.
but john, that's the secret

wardd
04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
And Obama said he was going to close gitmo. Okay got it. It's still here for a variety of reasons. Obama also said he was going to clean up washington. Okay, got it. To me, it's worse. He promised hop..Okay, a lot of people don't have a lot now do they? Your post is the one that is totally nonsense John. Not surprised that you went in this direction. Ignoring what I posted, choosing what you wanted to reply to and ignoring the rest. Good show!.

the reasons and i think dc is cleaner than under bush

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Bush didn't make that promise, Obama did in his speeches..

wardd
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
did anyone notice the part about gov workers making more than the private sector, while not mentioning which workers and their qualifications

with republicans it's a race to the bottom

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Anyone going to notice you changed the subject?

wardd
04-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Anyone going to notice you changed the subject?

you and i obviously heard different acceptance speeches

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2012, 11:50 AM
I listened to it with an open mind. Something you are incapable of. In fact, I'm surprised that you supposedly did see it even with the sound on mute.Why don't you address what I said wardd. What's the matter?

John Smith
04-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I got thrown off forums back then for asking how he's going to change the way Washington does business or magically get Republican support. Obamamaniacs were blinded by something. Those supporting Romney are driven by something different, but still need to ask "how?"

Especially those things that involve congress, like the way congress does business.

There is a huge difference, however. Obama didn't tell one crowd he wanted to close Gitmo, then tell another crowd he wanted to keep it open. He did, in fact, try to close Gitmo; he simply couldn't do it.

DADT did end under his watch. He's done what he said he would do in regards to both Iraq and Afghanistan. He did reform health care.

He has not, and he will not, get any Republican support for anything and, sans a filibuster proof majority (an honest one) he'll not get much done.

He had a while when he had the majority of votes in both the House and the Senate, but he seldom had 60 votes to end a filibuster.

John Smith
04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
did anyone notice the part about gov workers making more than the private sector, while not mentioning which workers and their qualifications

with republicans it's a race to the bottom

I noticed that. I think private workers are paid too little. He thinks government workers are paid too much. I'd like to see him live for a month on the salary of an average worker.

John Smith
04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
I listened to it with an open mind. Something you are incapable of. In fact, I'm surprised that you supposedly did see it even with the sound on mute.Why don't you address what I said wardd. What's the matter?

I don't think so. I think you nodded your head in agreement with the goals he preaches, but have no idea how he can possibly attain them through the Ryan budget he supports.

wardd
04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I noticed that. I think private workers are paid too little. He thinks government workers are paid too much. I'd like to see him live for a month on the salary of an average worker.

in which house?

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't think so. I think you nodded your head in agreement with the goals he preaches, but have no idea how he can possibly attain them through the Ryan budget he supports.Words in my mouth great imagination. All I said, if you actually read it,your lord and master during his campaign did exactly what Romney said in his. A bunch of ideas, but no content. That is what candidates say in a campaign and I explained why. Where did I support Romney? Tell me? The closest I came to umm supporting him was that his last speech was a lot like Obama's in 08.In fact, identical regarding lack of content and mentioning that in 08, people were practically swooning over what Obama said. I like your imagination and your twisting of facts about what I actually said Rush jr.