PDA

View Full Version : Republican & Christianity: compatible?

David G
04-10-2012, 12:17 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2012/04/republican_political_value_of.html

Our primarily two-party system makes it all so simple: Democrat vs. Republican. We're fairly forced into throwing our entire selves into one of those two boxes. Perhaps we even change ourselves so we can fit into them. I always vote Democrat. That's not because I agree with everything on the Democratic platform. It's just that I agree with most everything. For this reason, I sometimes find my values to be inconsistent.

Now, outsiders (of a group) always seem to be more privy to inconsistencies than insiders. Insiders can be susceptible to the brainwashing of political soul mates. Self-criticism can be weak. Republicans claim this of some Democrats. Likewise, I claim this of some Republicans. I especially wish to speak to one specific Republican platform inconsistency: economic conservatism and Christian values. They're antithetical. They're an apple and an orange in the Republican crate, and it irritates me.

I admit that I'm not Christian. I left Christianity years ago. But maybe that gives me the outsider credibility I spoke of. Those years of being raised as a Christian don't hurt, either, in that I kind of know Christianity. I hear some Republicans passionately go on and on about how this country's Christian values are being corrupted by movements toward gay marriage, pre-marital sex, religious plurality, etc. But what about one of Jesus' greatest teachings, compassion? Economic conservatism is in the Republican box, and it isn't compassionate. Economic conservatism says, "Don't force me to give up what I have for the sake of the have-nots." It says, "Don't let Obama reduce my healthcare for the sake of universal health care." It says, "Don't tax me in order to maintain public services to the poor." It says, "Don't force me to sacrifice, because that takes away my freedoms." It says, "I have the right to say, 'No. It's mine and I earned it.'"

Republicans are right. They can say, "No." And, in doing so, they deny one of Jesus' greatest tenets to love and care for thy neighbor. He didn't say, "Care for thy neighbor unless it opposes your politics." He said, "Do it." Heck, I'm a Buddhist now, and Buddhists say, "Do it." Not that we always do it. We find reasons to be selfish like everyone else. But, at least, the inconsistency is not part of my political platform. The Republican platform includes economic conservatism, and this value is clearly un-Christian. Christian economic conservatives are oxymora. They are the Republicans I hear so often on the radio. They wield bread in a room full of hungry people, and spew soundbites full of excuses so they won't be forced to give up a slice. If economic conservatives deferred to compassion over politics, they'd have a little more in common with Jesus.

Then, maybe, Republicans wouldn't irritate me so much.

Osborne Russell
04-10-2012, 01:42 PM
The law said stoning a prostitute was upholding traditional values. Jesus said the law was wrong. Jesus was attacking traditional values. Jesus could not have been a Republican.

John A. Campbell
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
David G., that is a very enlightening article.....thank you for sharing it......I have forwarded it to several of my friends and relatives.

John

John Smith
04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
We have been thoroughly taught that there are two sides to all things. This has been driven into our heads so completely that when we hear two sides, we stop looking for another side. Coins have two sides. Issues have limitless sides. We have two parties. Most people are neither republican or democrat, but republicrat or demolican.

The problem from my perspective is religion is not compatable with science, not compatable with a less instrusive government, and certainly not compatible with our constitution.

People who have long held the sincere belief that the government should stay our of our lives put the government further into our lives when their religious beliefs so dictate. They violate their own core beliefs. Men hold a variety of levels of religious belief and practice. The more religious a man is, the more difficult to him to make decisions based on our consitution and our laws, rather than on those religious beliefs.

All this creates a strange mixture of concepts. If you look at the budget arguments, you'd think the christianity the republicans believe in is one where Jesus said, "Do onto the wealthy....."

stumpbumper
04-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Good article. I suppose conservatives would cite the scripture which goes something like, "Cast not your pearls before swine." And to them, anyone who feels entitled to anything from the government is "swine". In some twisted way denying entitlements, even if they are going to workers who have been paying taxes for it their whole working lives, is the good and righteous thing to do.

Nicholas Scheuer
04-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Why I'm not a Repub.

BrianW
04-11-2012, 03:59 AM
Actually, I see no problem in saying "no" to the government taking my money for the poor, when I can give money to charities of my choice.

Just because one says no to the Feds... doesn't mean they aren't charitable.

Pretty short sighted article in my opinion.

skuthorp
04-11-2012, 04:19 AM
If you take it on principles, that much misused word, being a political player and a christian would seem to be a contradiction in terms.

Paul Pless
04-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Good article. I suppose conservatives would cite the scripture which goes something like, "Cast not your pearls before swine." Or Mathew 22:21. . .

John Smith
04-11-2012, 06:21 AM
I don't think the whole thing is all that complex. The argument about the "size" of government is a subterfuge. The real difference of opinion concerns the role of government. The Republicans want to get government off the backs of corporations so they can make more profit at the expense of polluting our water. Meanwhile, they want to give the government more intrusion into the private lives of individuals.

The democrats are more prone to think of individual liberty while insisting that corporations have to be regulated for the overall good.

I believe the staunch anti-government in our lives folks don't think much about all the nice things we enjoy daily because the government is involved.

Some nice things are here today because the government did the heavy lifting of early R&D, or funded it. Some things are here, in our homes, for us to enjoy because the government dredged the harbors and built the roads and the airports.

When you fill your coffee pot, do you appreciate the quality of the water that comes out of your tap?

I'll not argue that the government doesn't overreach from time to time, but I enjoy those lovely parks I played on and now my grandkids play on.

BrianW
04-11-2012, 07:08 AM
The Republicans want to get government off the backs of corporations so they can make more profit at the expense of polluting our water. Meanwhile, they want to give the government more intrusion into the private lives of individuals.

This is when I stop listening to you on political threads...