PDA

View Full Version : Rt 1 Sonoma Cty.

elf
04-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Anyone on the forum live on or near Fort Ross, Jenner, Salt Point, Stewart's Point?

I need some help IDing an object in a photo I took many years ago.

Thanks.

Bob Cleek
04-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I do, Elf. I live near Two Rock (west of Petaluma), about 18 miles inland from Bodega Bay, with is about ten miles south of Jenner on the coast. I don't spend a huge amount of time out there, but I'm through there at least a half a dozen times a year over the last few decades. Post the photo and I'll give it a shot.

elf
04-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Thank you, both of you. I'm processing 30 files now from a trip in 1998 and when I get them complete and uploaded to FB I will post the one about which I've enquired. It's a little shingled building, painted white, with a small steeple, looks like it was a church, looked abandoned in 1994, 1998 and 2002, on the ocean side against forest. I don't know whether it's still there, even, but the last time I went by, it was. It's somewhere between Reef Campground and Salt Point, or possibly closer to Stewart's Point.

Mrleft8
04-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Hwy1. Rt1 is on the right coast.

Bob Cleek
04-07-2012, 09:51 PM
BTW, have you considered "driving" down Highway 1 on "Google Earth?" I checked. It's all there on their 360 degree "street view."

Mrleft8
04-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Did it make you dizzy just to google it?
The part between Gualala, and Elk can be scary in the fog.....

elf
04-08-2012, 12:13 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554967_10150723322789917_749884916_9200588_1199552 523_n.jpg

Here is the building I'm curious about. I'd like something more precise about where it is and if anyone know anything about what it was for, or whether it's now gone, that would be great.

elf
04-08-2012, 12:13 AM
BTW, have you considered "driving" down Highway 1 on "Google Earth?" I checked. It's all there on their 360 degree "street view."
Wierd. OK. I'll check it out!

elf
04-08-2012, 12:14 AM
The part between Bodega Bay and Jenner was pretty scarey in May in the late afternoon the first time I went, especially when I retraced my steps and saw what I'd missed!

Bob Cleek
04-08-2012, 11:36 AM
It doesn't jump out at me, unfortunately. It could be anywhere around there. It's just a hunch, but I'd guess it might just as well be an old school house as a church. Churches usually get cared for better, even when one congregation moves on, another takes it over. It looks a lot more like the one and two room school houses we have around here.

If you go on google earth you can go right to Highway 1 in Salt Point and then click on the little orange man icon on the navigation controls in the upper right quadrant of the picture. That willl give you the "street view." You go down the street by clicking on the picture of the road forward. The superimposed yellow line keeps you on the highway. You can hold the right button of your mouse down and move the whole picture around to look at the sides of the road or turn around and go the other way. It's very intuitive to operate.

elf
04-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Bingo - schoohouse.

http://www.sonoma-county.org/prmd/docs/lcp/lcp_apdx_a.pdf

Check down around the 3rd page. Map 5, Stillwater Cove, Greek revival schoolhouse. Recently moved and restored.

Thanks, Bob.

Mrleft8
04-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I stayed at Sea Ranch back in '87. I'm afraid that I just don't get why it's considered such an architectural achievement..... The cottage was nice, and the food was better than OK, but still.... It's just a windy point of land by the ocean with a bunch of 1960's (?) style buildings on it.
Henry Moore did much better things than that.

elf
04-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I think it's depressing, personally. I suppose it's just fine when the weather's beautiful, about, oh, 7% of the year. But the rest of the time all that uniformity and no individualizing plantings, and relentless gray shingles and weather, and so much condo-ization. Grim.

And it's spread down the coast practically to Stewart's Point, gobbling up all the open space with macadam and grey singles.

elf
04-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Some of you know that I have been scanning old film all winter. Yesterday I went thru images from a trip to Point Reyes in 1998 and added them to an album on Facebook where I have been sharing the results of the scanning. If you would like to check out the photos thus far you can view them here (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.43290154916.51021.749884916&type=1&l=307a8efd0e). The 1998 trip begins with the image of the United Airlines plane exuding diesel exhaust over Logan's tarmac. The earlier images are in chronological order from the first time I went to California in 1986. Each image is captioned so click on the thumbnail to check out the photos.

This is a publically accessible link, you don't have to be a member of Facebook and you cannot go elsewhere on Facebook from here if you are not a member.

Stiletto
04-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Diesel planes?

elf
04-08-2012, 07:32 PM
They don't burn diesel?

Mrleft8
04-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Jet "A" which is more like light kerosene than diesel I think.... Smells just as bad though.
Brits call it "Paraffin oil" which is no doubt somehow related to the paraffin wax that we use to can jellies, jams, and vegetables which will sit on a shelf in a basement for thirty odd years before someone drags the cobwebs off of them, looks at the odd colored contents with funny squiggly bits of something still moving in with them, and hands them one by one to their children, and children's friends with strict orders to NOT DROP them. Place them very softly on the doubled up boxes from the liquor store, and wrap them in newspaper and styrofoam peanuts. Then very neatly type out a mailing label and a shipping invoice with adhesive boarders and a cear plastic over it. Then you take the boxes down to the UPS store where they weigh the box to determine shipping coasts just by checking out the box WeightXHeightXLengthXWidth. Last box I sent to Donn, arrived in3 days weighed about 17LBS if I'm not mistaken $.37
copin the gig, workin the numbers and workin the deadweight.
small potatoes as long as you get what you need..... What were we talking about?

Mrleft8
04-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Oh, right! Elf's apparent distaste for SEA RANCH. With it's uniform of weathered gray shingles, and cute little peak roofed houses sitting cheek by jowl with their similarly like minded holier than thou neighbors who amazingly enough hold so many of the same values as you, because they live two blocks over from you back home, and your Travis plays Krumhorn in the same orchestra ensemble as the neighbors kid Brockman, who plays the Cimbelom Bohak-1.....
But back there on Cape Cod, you never ever see weathered shingle or clapboard houses with carefully manicured gardens filled each spring with mature, fast growing hardy perennials like Salvia, Dusty Miller, ornamental kale, primroses, and an abundance of daffodils.
And the development on the Cape is so tastefully done with weathered cedar shingles, and Strip malls that look like weathered gray cedar strip malls containing neon orange and green sugar based carbonated refreshment, and polyester stretch clothing that'll expand with your waist line after every greasy burger, box of salt water taffy, and jumbo basket of deep fried clam strips with breading.

elf
04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
What are you talking about, Doug?

Sea Ranch could never look like Cape Cod, or New England, for that matter. Too uniform and the ecosystem's all wrong.

C'mon.

LeeG
04-08-2012, 10:31 PM

but when you get to Elk go inland on Philo Greenwood Rd. for some dynamite country roads.

LeeG
04-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Emily, another trippy road is Kings Ridge from Cazadero up to Kruse Rhododendron State Park.

Mrleft8
04-09-2012, 07:57 AM
but when you get to Elk go inland on Philo Greenwood Rd. for some dynamite country roads.
Ya.... When I went to the county fair in Boonville I got all turned around backwards (I'd only been in NoCal for about a week) and somehow managed to get on the Greenwood Rd in Elk.... I wasn't sure I'd actually still be in the states when I got to the end..... :D The road that goes from Little River, to Ukiah is another stunning vista road.....

elf
04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Turned around backwards - yes. I recall the first time I went to CA I had to go to Berkeley from SF to stay at a friend's house for two days. When I called him for instructions he said to go East.

Immediately I had Golden Gate Park in my mind.

Of course! The ocean is always to the East. Right?!

elf
04-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Ya.... When I went to the county fair in Boonville I got all turned around backwards (I'd only been in NoCal for about a week) and somehow managed to get on the Greenwood Rd in Elk.... I wasn't sure I'd actually still be in the states when I got to the end..... :D The road that goes from Little River, to Ukiah is another stunning vista road.....
Camping at Reef campground, just a few feet S of Fort Ross, I thought I'd go to dinner in Guerneville. On the way back the Fort Ross Road seemed like a good "short cut" to Reef, rather than dragging all the way over to Jenner and up the coast.

Well, it went N. That was hopeful. But then at an intersection it went W. OK. Then, as darkness settled in, it turned into a dirt road and zigzagged thru redwood forest for about 10 miles.

Too far along to turn back, no idea of whether I was lost in the deep forest.

Amazingly I made all the right choices at unmarked intersections and emerged high up above the ocean directly above the Fort Ross compound.

I simply can't imagine going somewhere new and not renting a car.

Bob Cleek
04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Yea, Sea Ranch is a rich people's getaway place, but not as bad as one might imagine when its history is considered. It was the result of a huge battle with the coastal commission over building anything out there. As I recall, the density is about a tenth of what they initially proposed. The "sameness" imposed by the CC%R's was intended to prevent people from coming in and building real mostrosities. The whole concept was to keep the buildings low enough to be unobtrusive and not block the views. When it was first built, now almost fifty years ago, there was nothing like Sea Ranch anywhere and it was quite architecturally innovative. What now looks like somewhat undistinguished "redwood modern" architecture was the first of that style. It could have been a lot worse! In any event, everything on the coast from the Golden Gate north is pretty remote, wild country, with only a few small communities here and there. It's nothing like Cape Cod today. Certainly, small historic enclaves like the town of Mendocino do closely resemble New England because the area was settled by a lot of loggers from Maine. Beyond that, it's another world from the rest of the country. Very isolated. Boonville (pronounced "Boontville") even has its own dialect of Englsh. Pretty area and quaint... but very primitive. There just isn't the population to support the sort of services that we who live in more populated areas take for granted. You don't survive a heart attack unless you're lucky enough to get choppered out in time. It's the sort of place where the paramedics drive a hearse, not an ambulance. I have a friend that lives in an incredibly beautiful home on the edge of a cliff over the ocean in Caspar. He did survive his heart attack, but driving to the nearest cardiac clinic three times a week was worse than the corronary. The closest hospital able to treat him was in Santa Rosa, over a hundred miles away and it takes as much as two and a half hours to drive those hundred miles on the back roads.

About two thirds of the economy up there is the marijuana trade and the other third is tourism. It's not a place for outsiders to go taking strolls in the woods. Outside of the tourist enclaves, think "Deliverance" with long hair and no banjos.

The town of Mendocino is definitely worth a visit, but staying anywhere near there is going to cost you a fair amount. You won't find lobster shacks up and down the road like on the Cape. A five star restaurants that require reservations are about it. There's a McDonald's or a Burger King in Ft. Bragg about ten miles up the road, but the nearest Walmart is in Ukiah, sixty miles inland and maybe an hour and a half drive on the back roads.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bd/Mendocino_California.jpg/800px-Mendocino_California.jpg

Mrleft8
04-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Cleek.... Your friend in Caspar isn't named "Scotty" is he?
I lived across the street from the Caspar Inn, two houses up from Joe's Garage.
(And "Boontling" has actually been declared an entirely separate language, not just a regional dialect. It may be declared a "Dead language" at this point though. I think the last remaining Bucky Miller was removed by AT&T several years ago...)

elf
04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
And after that long (and for some probably hair-raising) drive up Highway 1, Fort Bragg is a horrendous eyesore.

The area may be largely wild, but Stewarts Point General Store had a decent cup of coffee and I met a photographer in Gualala who told me where to find Clear-Bags. Noone around here seemed to know!

But to me the most exciting part of the whole area is finding the Usal Road right beyond the bridge over the Cottaneva Creek where Highway 1 turns inland.

Mrleft8
04-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Ft. Bragg a "Horrendous eyesore"?
Perhaps the parts of Ft. Bragg where you were at that particular moment in time could be described that way, but most of FB is a very beautiful working town with the largest commercial fishing harbor between San Francisco, and Portland. It had, until very recently, the world's largest Redwood mill, and is the home of one of the world's most respected woodworking programs. While none of those things may be impressive to an Adam Kramer PhD Candidate, they are important to many, many other people.
It may not be as picturesque as N.Falmouth, Ma. but I'd rather live in FB than anywhere on Scrape Scrod. The people are much friendlier, and not nearly so judgmental.

LeeG
04-09-2012, 03:50 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bd/Mendocino_California.jpg/800px-Mendocino_California.jpg

My bike shop was two buildings to the right of the yellow bldg. One stormy winter I was looking out the window and two seagulls were flying backwards followed by a 15' cypress branch about 50' up. Stepping outside you could taste the ocean as wave tops were blown up the cliffs.

Mrleft8
04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
My bike shop was two buildings to the right of the yellow bldg. One stormy winter I was looking out the window and two seagulls were flying backwards followed by a 15' cypress branch about 50' up. Stepping outside you could taste the ocean as wave tops were blown up the cliffs.
Just down from "Dick's" and next to the Highlite gallery, if I'm not terribly mistaken....
Or are you talking about the other yellow building?

Bob Cleek
04-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Cleek.... Your friend in Caspar isn't named "Scotty" is he?
I lived across the street from the Caspar Inn, two houses up from Joe's Garage.
(And "Boontling" has actually been declared an entirely separate language, not just a regional dialect. It may be declared a "Dead language" at this point though. I think the last remaining Bucky Miller was removed by AT&T several years ago...)

Nope, not Scotty.

Bob Cleek
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
It's not widely known by those outside the area that all that redwood lumber was shipped by "doghole" lumber schooners, sail and, later, steam driven. There aren't any deepwater harbors until Eureka. The schooners would sail into the little coves, (called "dogholes" because there just enough room for a ship to turn around) where mills had been built, anchor off shore in the swells, and a line would be run ashore and up the cliffs, from which a cable system would send the lumber down from the mill on top of the cliff.

http://www.mendorailhistory.org/images/towns/bourn_01.jpg

http://www.mendorailhistory.org/images/towns/mendocino/mendo_7.jpg

Boarding a doghole schooner at the town of Mendocino. The cable footings are still in place at the far left of the picture posted above.

http://www.mendorailhistory.org/images/towns/mendocino/mendo_8.jpg

A bit nicer accommodations on this ride down to the Sea Foam, a later steam schooner. IIRC Don Branscom built a beautiful model of her posted on the formum somewhere.

http://www.mendorailhistory.org/images/towns/elk/elk_20.jpg

LeeG
04-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Just down from "Dick's" and next to the Highlite gallery, if I'm not terribly mistaken....
Or are you talking about the other yellow building?

Up from Dicks and the Hotel was a deli downstairs and rest.upstairs. Next to it is a walkway under a water tower to MacCallum House. Mendocino Cyclery was on that walkway. I think the yellow bldg. is the Palace Hotel.