PDA

View Full Version : Wianno Sr's - Looking for Info for 100th Anniversary

CrosbyStriper
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
I am looking for anything Wianno senior related. The 100th anniversary is in two years (2014), and we want to find out all we can on all the boats built. Know of a friend who had one? was there one in your family? Remember seeing one? Anything Wianno related, please inform me, I am also looking for a photo of each boat built to date, and still have many to go. Any information or photos that you have would be immensely helpful!

Thanks!

Larks
04-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Here's a tip that might help to gain some response to your request: Delete the multiple thread posts and keep just one thread going. Most people here who see the same post trawled accross multiple threads will simply ignore the whole lot as it just pizzes everyone off.

CrosbyStriper
04-07-2012, 08:48 AM
My initial reason for posting in all was because I thought that maybe some people won't see it if its only in one thread, but I do have to admit, You have a point about the annoyance factor.

earling2
04-07-2012, 02:58 PM
There are a couple in Italy on the coast of Tuscany, in Porto Santo Stefano. Rebuilt by Federico nardi's yard. One of them was JFKs boat

Then the guy in Dalton, MA out here in the Berkshires is way into them, Berkshire Wooden Boats. He's done a few of them, full rebuilds, probably knows where most of them are in the world.

CrosbyStriper
04-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I knew about Italy, they are even making new FG ones out there, amazing to see how far they have spread! I don't know about JFK's boat though, I always knew her as being display outside the Dorchester Library. I will check on that.

Berkshire Wooden Boat's owner is a good friend of mine, I've even found him some of the older hulls he has! He has quite the Restoration assembly line going, quite amazing! In fact my family's old Hull #135 is going to his shop for a rebuild next week!

earling2
04-07-2012, 05:43 PM
You're probably right about JFK's boat, I just remember Nardi showing me Time magazine articles, etc, so for some reason it stuck in my head that they had that one there.

You sound like you know about as much as anybody as to the whereabouts of Wianno Seniors!

brdsquib
04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
There are just three yards sanctioned to build the Wianno's now. Crosby Yacht in Osterville, EM Crosby Boatworks in W. Barnstable, and Shaw up in Maine. As far as I know the Resolute is still at the JFK Library. No reason it should have moved. I know of a few wood ones still around. Brad Tracy owns one. There was one in the old fish freezer in Barnstable Harbor, but I have no idea where it went when they tore that place down. I think I saw a red one over in Dennis sitting next to a bog near Depot Rd. That's about all I got. Wouldn't be a bad idea to go speak to people over at Crosby Yacht and Ned over at EM Crosby.

Hunky Dory
04-17-2012, 07:25 PM
I seem to recall the Kennedys had two both painted the same,one for Jack and one for Bobby. They were the Resolute and the Victura was the other ones name I think. I worked on a sightseeing boat and remember we went by them every day. I wonder what Ted was sailing then?