PDA

View Full Version : a little 'gun safety'

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Here is an example of carelessness (assuming the guy is telling the truth).
He ‘forgot’ where the revolver was or that it was anywhere it looks like. One should ALWAYS be aware of it or put it away properly.

http://www.4029tv.com/news/30835549/detail.html

edited to add a bit about the content of the short article:

Police Seize Gun, Concealed Handgun License

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Pull on my finger, Phillip.

did you read the article, Donn?

I understand everyone's disgust with salty's hyjacking antics...

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 07:08 AM
I posted this to continue with my own thoughts on gun safety... awareness is important... the guy couldn't have used the thing if he wasn't aware of it so he failed. anyone so casual about firearms is not likely to be made safer by their unnoticed presents

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 07:09 AM
No. Why would I read the article?

sorry, Donn... don't read the article then... you aren't likely to need the lesson anyway

LeeG
04-05-2012, 07:15 AM
A friends dad was visiting his grandson and left his revolver in a vest laying on the bed. He didn't forget. I suspect he wanted to set up a "lesson" but was told to stop being a dumbass gun freak and put the gun where kids couldn't get it. He drives 10 hrs because he can't take his gun with him on the plane.

LeeG
04-05-2012, 07:17 AM
http://wildomarmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/pull-my-finger.jpg

http://ledchristmaslighting.com/images/categories/fart_machine.jpg

Ian McColgin
04-05-2012, 07:18 AM
It was careless but in a casual gun culture I can see it quite easily. My sister, a paddle sports instructor and guide, famously had her pack shaken down at the air port when they found one knife. By the time they were done six or seven knives of various sorts were taken. Makes sense to me. I always have a favorite pocket knife on, but in my bag are a fixed blade rigging knife, a leatherman, a fillet knife, and an ultra-sharp fine blade mostly for canvass and leather but could double as a scalpel. There's also an eyeglasses screw driver and zippo that TSA might not like. Before I leave for the air port I turn my pack inside out.

'Course, if you're dragging around a little snake gun and don't remember that it's there, it won't do you much good when you think you have to kill a cotton mouth rather than just stand still.

skuthorp
04-05-2012, 07:22 AM
and I followed links on that page to 3 other handgun incidents, including a 4 year old shot when a gun under the mattress discharged as she jumped on the bed. But I suppose with so many arms about the actual casualty list is statistically light.

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 07:35 AM
and I followed links on that page to 3 other handgun incidents, including a 4 year old shot when a gun under the mattress discharged as she jumped on the bed. But I suppose with so many arms about the actual casualty list is statistically light.

I didn't follow the other links

I wonder if Donn ever jumps on the bed? :)

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 07:41 AM
are you bored, Donn? :)

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 07:47 AM

I looked but couoldn't find that... links adjusted for Oz?

Rich Jones
04-05-2012, 08:10 AM
I read an article the other day about a guy arrested at the airport for having THREE loaded handguns in his carry-on. Then they found eight more guns in his car in the parking lot. What WAS he thinking? Or NOT thinking?
I've got a good friend who's a police detective. Carries his off-duty gun with him everywhere, even in church on Sunday morning. The only time he leaves it at home is when he travels by air. He says that, even as a policeman, it's just too much of a hassle to get it through security.

LeeG
04-05-2012, 08:37 AM
being dumb, it's a right, not a privilege.

Paul Pless
04-05-2012, 08:39 AM
This I donít get. I do fly a lot and knowing the current TSA attitude. I strip search myself before even leaving for the airport. I used to have a bag pre-packed for quick trips, but not anymore, everything gets removed at trips end and repacked so I know exactly what is in my bagÖ..ĒI didnít know it was thereĒ has got to be one of the dumbest things Iíve ever heard, especially when a gun is involved.

I fly between my office in Alabama and my home in Michigan a fair bit. I've gotten to where I don't take anything other than a book. I've got enough clothing and shaving kit and other necessities there, that I don't have to have to take stuff with me. Its a bit of a luxury at the airport.

Paul Pless
04-05-2012, 08:39 AM
being dumb, it's a right, not a privilege.natural law

SMARTINSEN
04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
There's an app for that!

Phillip, if you are wearied by Saltyboater's carping against them, does it ever occur to you that a lot of us are wearied by your continued harping about gun safety?

Pull my finger, indeed.

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 08:43 AM
This I don’t get. I do fly a lot and knowing the current TSA attitude. I strip search myself before even leaving for the airport. I used to have a bag pre-packed for quick trips, but not anymore, everything gets removed at trips end and repacked so I know exactly what is in my bag…..”I didn’t know it was there” has got to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard, especially when a gun is involved.

that's why it's under 'gun safety'

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
There's an app for that!

Phillip, if you are wearied by Saltyboater's carping against them, does it ever occur to you that a lot of us are wearied by your continued harping about gun safety?

Pull my finger, indeed.

continued doesn't apply

some time ago, I was asked to talk about gun safety by a new member.
I attempted to comply but Joe and Milo hijacked every attempt, claiming there was no such thing as gun safety... after many attempts I was driven from the field. this is the second time in my tenure here (10 years) to try gun safety as a topic since Joe and Milo partnered up to prevent its discussion

Paul Pless
04-05-2012, 08:47 AM

LOL iii

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 08:48 AM
I fly between my office in Alabama and my home in Michigan a fair bit. I've gotten to where I don't take anything other than a book. I've got enough clothing and shaving kit and other necessities there, that I don't have to have to take stuff with me. Its a bit of a luxury at the airport.

and one to be envied :)

SMARTINSEN
04-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I could give a rats ass about guns, one way or the other. There is way too much talk about them on this Forum and you are the principal offender, politics are way more better:p

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 08:51 AM
oh, pu-leeeze
I am sick of politics... do you think it will stop being a daily topic because of that?

SMARTINSEN
04-05-2012, 09:00 AM
I promise not to post to any of Norman's threads if you promise not to start or post to any more gun threads. Think you can do it?

No, I didn't think so. (copyright Glenallen productions)

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 09:03 AM
I promise not to post to any of Norman's threads if you promise not to start or post to any more gun threads. Think you can do it?

I should point out that it is not ME who starts most of the gun threads... why do you give ME credit for starting them?

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 09:04 AM

so... your offer was insencere then?

Paul Pless
04-05-2012, 09:12 AM
some time ago, I was asked to talk about gun safety by a new member.

Pretty sure you were being flamed by a sock puppet.:d

Paul Pless
04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
politics are way more better:pespecially health care politics!!!

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Pretty sure you were being flamed by a sock puppet.:d

maybe... never saw him again

SMARTINSEN
04-05-2012, 09:54 AM
so... your offer was insencere then?

Absolutely not. I just do not think that you are capable of restraining yourself from talking about guns, that is all.

And get a spell-checker, too, while I am ragging on you.

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Absolutely not. I just do not think that you are capable of restraining yourself from talking about guns, that is all.

And get a spell-checker, too, while I am ragging on you.

MOM! Smartinsen is throwing sand in the sand box and won't let me play with my toys! MOM!

Nicholas Carey
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
I've got a good friend who's a police detective. Carries his off-duty gun with him everywhere, even in church on Sunday morning. The only time he leaves it at home is when he travels by air. He says that, even as a policeman, it's just too much of a hassle to get it through security.
Most states require police officers, by law, to be armed at all times, whether on- or off-shift.

I can understand the forgetting about the pen knife you always carry with you, but a loaded handgun -- or three -- that weigh 2-3 pounds each? It's rather noticeable addition to the weight of an empty bag.

Ian McColgin
04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
People required to carry, like my FBI cousin, will generally inform the airline and often board first. This lets everyone lawfully armed - sky marhalls, US marshals, FBI, assorted police, etc. - to see each other. In the event of an emergency it's good to know if the person popping up gun in hand is one of the good guys or on the other team.

A jerk who salts his guns around like this guy really should have all his permits revoked.

Paul Pless
04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
People required to carry, like my FBI cousin, will generally inform the airline and often board first. This lets everyone lawfully armed - sky marhalls, US marshals, FBI, assorted police, etc. - to see each other.you sure about that? part of the whole air marshall thing is that they are supposedly unidentifiable. Seems like they would like to call as little attention to themselves as possible.

Ian McColgin
04-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Absolutely. Law enforcement who are required to carry and required to respond need to be able to ID each other. There are times when there's a hurry or other occasions when they might not meet, but meeting is SOP. This is just between themselves, not with other passengers.

Shang
04-05-2012, 12:50 PM
One of my kid's college classmates, a young man from a Near Eastern country, was stopped at the Boston airport check-in...he had an Uzi in his hand luggage.
In the discussion that followed, the young man explained that the sub-machine gun was a gift for a relative back home. "I don't understand," he added, "You didn't stop me the last two times I flew home on your airline with Uzi's!"

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
One of my kid's college classmates, a young man from a Near Eastern country, was stopped at the Boston airport check-in...he had an Uzi in his hand luggage.
In the discussion that followed, the young man explained that the sub-machine gun was a gift for a relative back home. "I don't understand," he added, "You didn't stop me the last two times I flew home on your airline with Uzi's!"

Oh, dear...

Shang
04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Out of curiosity I just Googled "student apprehended with weapon in airport."
My gawd...I may never fly again...

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Out of curiosity I just Googled "student apprehended with weapon in airport."
My gawd...I may never fly again...

don't forget a little perspective, professor... while still in their mid twenties they will be telling us dumb bricklayers how to do our jobs

Phillip Allen
04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Pffffttt, everybody knows bricklayers can't dance and too fat to fly...............

they're too tired to dance and they can too fly... straight down... a real steep glide path

Shang
04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
don't forget a little perspective, professor... while still in their mid twenties they will be telling us dumb bricklayers how to do our jobs

If they make a practice of packin' in airports they'll still be in the pokey in their mid twenties.