PDA

View Full Version : this year is scary dry so far

Phillip Allen
04-03-2012, 11:02 PM
I have gobs of bees with nothing to do
the bloom is too early for some and other things show no sign of blooming at all

I'll bet I have at least 3 pounds of bees hanging off the entrance of one hive in particular... and it has an extra box on it... they are simply unemployed (can I blame this recession on the president?)

Chip-skiff
04-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Poor bees— what to do?

Budbreak on the aspens was 3-4 weeks early here. We had almost two weeks of warm weather, but no rain or snow. The redwing blackbirds are back, with not a great deal to eat. Just saw the first wild bloom (two tiny buttercups) yesterday.

With the early big wildfire in Colorado (I could see the plume of smoke) I'm worried. Cutting more brush on the slope below the house, and replacing the old wood deck with synthetic stuff and covering the supports with metal.

If you don't blame it on Obama, I won't mention G.W. Bush.

Meli
04-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Eh, don't worry about it. we had years of drought, built a desal plant and now we are drowning.
climate change can be a little fickle :D

skuthorp
04-04-2012, 04:27 AM
Weather patterns have changed though Meli. Wet weather (lows) used to come from the west in a regular procession and drop their water on the southern side of the dividing range. Now those lows pass below Tasmania and our rain comes from tropical outbreaks from the NNW and falls on the northern side of the range. Hence dryer climates in southern Victoria and Tasmania and floods inland.

Meli
04-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Yep, I've lived in my house for 20 years. almost never had rain and wind from thesouth. SE, North NE, now its quite regular.

bamamick
04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
We've had our fair share of rain this year.

When I drove my kid's furniture up to Boulder last summer I was shocked how horrible the landscape looked. Once you got out of Arkansas the only green you saw at all was on golf courses, and in most cases that was only right around the holes. It is amazing to me that more stuff doesn't catch fire and burn with weather like that.

My kids tell me that the big fire south of Denver started out as a controlled burn from the forestry guys. Terrifying stuff, a big fire. I have fought them all day long and thought them put out only to have one puff of wind bring them back to life and start spreading.

I live in what is traditionally one of the wettest spots in the United States, but even so I have learned to appreciate the blessed rain each time it falls.

Mickey Lake

Gerarddm
04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Been wet enough here in the Seattle area. Cannot WAIT for this bloody La Nina nonsense to freakin' end, already. Second year in a row. O for a normal summer here- warm, dry.

Glen Longino
04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm surprised to here this, Phillip!
I had a mild winter with drought-breaker rains.
My place looks tropical. I've had to mow three times.
Last year I mowed Once in May and no more due to drought.
suerte

Phillip Allen
04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm surprised to here this, Phillip!
I had a mild winter with drought-breaker rains.
My place looks tropical. I've had to mow three times.
Last year I mowed Once in May and no more due to drought.
suerte

we had rain early on then it stopped... now it falls all around us but not on us. the tornadoes brought less than a tenth of an inch in my yard... Bees are clustered at the front of the hives during the day...

I'll check the hives in a couple of days and see if the've brought anything in... got to remove meds and put on new supers cause whatever is in there now has been in contact with the meds... the bees can eat that

fishrswim
04-05-2012, 12:08 AM
It's really changing things where I came from in the Texas panhandle. They've had disastrous prairie fires every year for the last 5 or 6 years.

I cruised the roads in our old home town and environs using Google Earth last month. I was amazed by what I found. Our old homestead was unrecognizable. The grasslands looked like desert. The shelter belt trees planted after the dust bowl days were dead. The creek was dry and the ponds were gone. The massive groves of cottonwood trees were just stumps. roads that used to be lined by shade trees were treeless.

I've often thought of going back, but it's not something I'd ever want to see like that.