Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
    • Oct 2005

How to build a Strat

• Lew Barrett
    Landlocked
    • Dec 2005

Re: How to build a Strat

Versus 1959.

Putting aside the obvious and considerable differences four decades of OSHA regulations can make, the process really doesn't look all that different.
    Blatantly robbed from your link
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• Flying Orca
      Ruth, feck, and gorm
      • Jan 2007

I was trying to decide whether the Strat or the Tele should be featured in the æsthetic perfection thread, but my head a 'splode, so I took a nap.

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• ChrisBen
        • Dec 2007

Only thing missing is the Strat getting smashed on stage at the end.

"Bundinn er bátlaus maður" Bound is boatless man.

Comment

• ron ll
          Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Lew Barrett
          Versus 1959.
          Wow. I like yours a lot better. My Strat was made in 1958 so probably by most of those same people. A lot slower pace then and I'm amazed at how much was left to the eye of the worker.

Last edited by ron ll; 04-02-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• ccmanuals
            Son of a Guineaman
            • Dec 2001

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Comment

• hokiefan
              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by ron ll
              Wow. I like yours a lot better. My Strat was made in 1958 so probably by most of those same people. A lot slower pace then and I'm amazed at how much was left to the eye of the worker.

I grew up thinking that sunburst Strat was the definition of a rock-n-roll guitar.

Cheers,

Bobby

Comment

• ron ll
                Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
                how can you compare the power sanding of a solid chunk of wood with the building of a Stradivarius?
                Who said you had to? They're kind of apples and oranges, no?

Comment

• fishrswim
                  • Jun 2011

Love my Strat. I've got a new retro model with all the 50s features. Very cool.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                    Landlocked
                    • Dec 2005

Actually, I find it interesting how much hand work still goes into making them. You'd have thought they would have automated the entire process by now. There's still a fair amount of touch going on there, and some fairly basic (by electronics manufacturing standards) processes taking place.

In the one I posted, I like the event at around 1:35 or so where he turns the neck on it's ear and essentially resaws half the headstock off!
                    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• fishrswim
                      • Jun 2011

RE the Stradivarius vs Strat issue. In the case of the Strat, it's short for Stratocaster. Fender first came out with the broadcaster (radio), followed by the Telecaster (TV), and then the Stratocaster (space race). All just to look modern and cutting edge.

Obviously the Stradivarius is named after a person. BTW, there's an interesting discussion in a fairly recent issue of of the Wooden Boat about the wood Stradivarius used used in making the violins, etc and how it may help to account for the incredible tonal quality of the instruments. Someone will probably post the issue number for those of us too lazy to look it up.

Comment

• pipefitter
                        • Mar 2005

I always thought it pretty neat that the guitar ( Red Special ) that Brian May of Queen used was built by he and his father. To have your son take the guitar that you and he custom built to play in one of the world's most famous bands would be pretty hard to beat.

Last edited by pipefitter; 04-03-2012, 02:39 AM.

Comment

• skuthorp
                          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by fishrswim
                          RE the Stradivarius vs Strat issue. In the case of the Strat, it's short for Stratocaster. Fender first came out with the broadcaster (radio), followed by the Telecaster (TV), and then the Stratocaster (space race). All just to look modern and cutting edge.

Obviously the Stradivarius is named after a person. BTW, there's an interesting discussion in a fairly recent issue of of the Wooden Boat about the wood Stradivarius used used in making the violins, etc and how it may help to account for the incredible tonal quality of the instruments. Someone will probably post the issue number for those of us too lazy to look it up.
                          Seems to have had a lot to do with a mini ice age in europe and the trees grew more slowly and the rings were closer together. That's what I remember anyhow.

Comment

Working...