PDA

View Full Version : A $40,000 Ford Focus?

Paul Pless
04-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Ford announced their new all electric Focus on Friday. I should point out there's $7,500 Federal Tax Credit available on pure electric vehicles.

http://cleantechnica.com/files/2012/03/ford-focus-electric-side.png

But why does it have a grill???

Michael Beckman
04-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Let me know when they release a 4wd Fiesta.

John B
04-02-2012, 05:32 AM
1st question.. Why have they stolen Astom Martins grille?

Price answer. Because they have an Aston Martin grille.

Michael Beckman
04-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Somewhat more relevant.. Why would the Geek Squad install the charger? Seems like a job for an electrician.

Paul Pless
04-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Somewhat more relevant.. Why would the Geek Squad install the charger? Seems like a job for an electrician.

All they are doing is unplugging your dryer. . .

John Smith
04-02-2012, 06:22 AM
There is a battle of sorts here. I suspect that most people who can afford the price aren't all that concerned with saving money on gas.

Hopefully the price will come down a lot over time so it is more competitive.

Paul Pless
04-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Hopefully the price will come down a lot over time so it is more competitive.Not really much competition among fully capable (non neighbor vehicles) pure electric vehicles out there. We have the Leaf, the Tesla, and now the Focus. I understand your point though.

Rich Jones
04-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Now that my wife and I are retired, an all electric would come in handy. My wife's car, we use for trips, but since moving to Vermont, my truck has never been more than 20 miles in any direction. It's our "local vehicle" Only problem is: I still need a truck for hauling boats and taking the garbage to the dump every week; and my wife's car is new so we're not going to replace that.
But, perhaps in the future when the price is down, we'd consider it.

Dan McCosh
04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
The car originally was intended to use a drop-in module that could easily replace a gasoline engine. It ended up considerable more complex, but the car is still the basic Focus with an electric drive installed, built in the same plant as the gas version.

Paul Pless
04-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Evidently, there are a lot of car/people collisions in Europe ... so the front end of cars sold in Europe is getter higher and higher off the ground! :)Have you seen pedestrian airbags and pop-open hoods to protect pedestrians yet Brad?

LeeG
04-02-2012, 08:42 AM
it's not a grill, it's breathing through it's mouth, it's got work to do.

I get the feeling that electric cars and hybrids are a form of bargaining with the inevitable. As a % of total vehicles hybrids are almost 2% of total vehicles while everyone else is simply driving less and paying more.

SMARTINSEN
04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Let me know when they come out with a full size 4WD pickup, I can boost my masculine image and save the environment at the same time.

Dan McCosh
04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
it's not a grill, it's breathing through it's mouth, it's got work to do.

I get the feeling that electric cars and hybrids are a form of bargaining with the inevitable. As a % of total vehicles hybrids are almost 2% of total vehicles while everyone else is simply driving less and paying more. Hybrids are bout 2% of new vehicles sold, hardly 2% of total vehicles.

LeeG
04-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Have you seen pedestrian airbags and pop-open hoods to protect pedestrians yet Brad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kZGTOLBvek

better yet!

LeeG
04-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Hybrids are bout 2% of new vehicles sold, hardly 2% of total vehicles.

Dan, would it be 2% of passenger vehicles?

Dan McCosh
04-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Now that my wife and I are retired, an all electric would come in handy. My wife's car, we use for trips, but since moving to Vermont, my truck has never been more than 20 miles in any direction. It's our "local vehicle" Only problem is: I still need a truck for hauling boats and taking the garbage to the dump every week; and my wife's car is new so we're not going to replace that.
But, perhaps in the future when the price is down, we'd consider it. Electric cars have a pretty tough time in cold weather or in hilly terrain.

Dan McCosh
04-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Dan, would it be 2% of passenger vehicles? That's 2% of all light vehicles--cars and trucks. The Prius accounts for nearly 2/3s of the total. It's basically the only successful hybrid, even for Toyota.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Not really much competition among fully capable (non neighbor vehicles) pure electric vehicles out there. We have the Leaf, the Tesla, and now the Focus. I understand your point though.

You poor sods - you have to get by without the "Gee Whiz".....
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/05_01/Whizzcar_468x360.jpg