PDA

View Full Version : Need help, what kind of paint to use?

Toddbrown
03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I just built a small 12 foot ply canoe and used epoxy on the outside hull. I also used fiberglass. So, what kind of paint can i use? I would like to use standard exterior paint but I am nto sure if that will work or not.

Thanks!

David G
03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Since there is no such thing as 'standard exterior paint'... you're gonna need to be a bit more specific.

Given your boat - I'd say you have several choices --

Water base enamel - like a house paint - apply with roller and brush

Oil base enamel - ditto

Premium Oil base 'marine' enamel - Kirby, Marhall's Cove, Fine Paints of Europe - ditto

Water base 2-part polyurethane - System 3 - apply with sprayer or brush/roller

Solvent base 2-part polyurethane - various brands - ditto

QUESTIONS --

How 'perfect' a paint job do you want?

How skilled a painter are you?

What sort of space and tools do you have?

Is high gloss and gloss retention important to you?

Do you expect to 'baby' this boat... or beat the crap out of it?

How will it be transported?

IF it were my boat - I'd use a premium marine enamal. I've been looking for an excuse to try out Marshall's Cove. The alternative would one of the 2-part polyurethanes.

JUST breaking off a guess which would be best for you - an exerterior oil-based enamel - like a Porch & Deck paint. Or maybe the water-base version. This could easily change when you answer the questions above.

JimConlin
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
All good advice.
I second the oil base porch&deck enamel.

Toddbrown
03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Well, I can 't seem to find marine paint anywhere so I guess whatever I can find at Home Depot would be what I would be looking at. Not concerned about perfection here, this is my first boat and I made ALOT of mistakes, that is why I decided to paint it. The epoxy is bummpy and whatnot. The boat will be stored covered and not in the elemets. Will be used about 5 - 10 times ayear max.

David G
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Porch * Deck

Lawrie
03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
or alternatively - support a family business, keep an old group going. Kirby Paints in New Bedford, Ma. (search web) has great fun colors, often ships same day and you may get George Kirby himself when you call. Good quality, and considering you are not painting a 40' vessel - paying ~~$28/qt for real stuff may be fine.
and if this doesn't work -try your local hardware vs. Home depot

Brian Palmer
03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
If you go to a paint store (e.g., Sherwin Williams) or big box store, ask for a quart of alkyd enamel. It should be about $15 a quart. If you go to Sherwim Williams and buy their SWP enamel, they can mix it to whatever color you want. Rustoleum also makes a good enamel that should work.

You can sand out the bumps in your epoxy. Just don't sand through the cloth.

You will also need to wash off the epoxy surface with soap and water really well to remove any amine from the epoxy, otherwise it will prevent your paint from drying.

Brian

Toddbrown
03-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Graet advise guys! Thanks!!

wizbang 13
03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Or don't paint it
epoxy breaks down, but half a dozen uses in a year is no big deal.
later, if you want to modify her in any way, being unpainted will make it easier.
And you can have more time to decide what paint is best.