PDA

View Full Version : Atkins cutter

HarveyS
10-08-2000, 11:11 AM
I'm interested in a 29 foot Atkins cutter design the brokerage listing calls a "Benbow." Any information about this design? Any suggestions about where I can get the original accomodations plan. This boat appears to have a modernized interior, the key component of which is - ugh - pegboard.

Tad R
10-08-2000, 09:10 PM
Harvey; the BEN BOW is given a number of chapters in William Atkin's book, "Of Yachts And Men" recently republished by Tiller. He designed the boat for himself. Included are photos and most of the drawings of the boat; arrangement, sailplan, deckplan, and construction. Ben Bow is described as "a mast with a boat at one end", a somewhat tall rig!

Bob Cleek
10-11-2000, 02:18 AM
A number have been built. Great sailing and fantastic looking boats. Lines, offsets, etc. are in "Sailboats and Auxilliaries You Can Build" MotorBoating Ideal Series #33 (out of print but check the collectors lists). Originally published in Rudder back in the late thirties or early forties. As with most Billy Atkin designs, which were published as "how to build" articles in Rudder in the public domain, watch out for home built botch jobs. The well done ones are excellent, though. A boat well worth owning and/or building. (BTW, it's 28'6" or so, so tell the broker to quit measuring boats the way he measures his privates!)

Keith Wilson
10-11-2000, 08:48 AM
I have a copy of the book with the plans for Ben Bow, and will gladly send you a copy if you like. The copyright on the book is long expired, anyway. You can e-mail me at kwilson800@aol.com (it's not on the profile for fear of spambots). Atkin & Co. still sells plans, see http://www.by-the-sea.com/atkin&co/ although John Atkin, William's son just died recently. They'd probably have Ben Bow plans also.

Art Read
10-11-2000, 09:55 AM
Pegboard??? God, I hope that was a typo....

Kermit
10-11-2000, 05:27 PM
'S'matter, Art? The stuff is cheap, bends easily, and allows lots of air circulation...

holzbt
10-13-2000, 08:53 PM
Go to eBay and look for item #462352351. This book by William Atkin features three boats, one of which is Ben-Bow. I think the auction ends on sunday.

TomRobb
10-16-2000, 07:23 AM
Seriously? Pegboard? ROTFLMAO! At last, something that makes luan-n-goog look salty & shipshape.

Bob Cleek
10-16-2000, 01:07 PM
Don't knock it! Masonite pegboard was widely used after the war and up until the early sixties in both amateur and commercial construction for ceiling. Certainly not "yacht standard," but very practical. Didn't rot bad, lightweight, the air passes through, etc.

TomRobb
10-17-2000, 11:38 AM
The pegboard I'm used to doesn't do well with water. It swells up and gets soft and funky. Like a graham cracker with holes in it.

Dave 'doc' Fleming
10-17-2000, 03:07 PM
Tom. two varieties of Pegboard/Masonite.
Dry and Oil Tempered.
Most places carry just the lesser priced, dry. The Oil Tempered will last significantly longer in a wet environment.
Usually finished smooth both sides but I have seen it good one side only too.

[This message has been edited by Dave 'doc' Fleming (edited 10-17-2000).]