PDA

View Full Version : Does Hungary Matter?

David G
03-15-2012, 07:56 PM
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/why-hungary-matters/

"Look, there are currently two great democratic powers in the world: the US and the EU. The EU is not a state, but it acts as a unit in many ways, and is a powerful force making the world a better place. And the European idea has been a key driver of democracy and peace these past two generations.

So if you believe in democracy and peace, you have a stake in that idea’s success — which is why all of Europe’s current troubles are a tragedy for all of us.

And now we have a nation in the heart of Europe, a member of the EU, a nation that emerged from dictatorship, which is at the very least backsliding on democracy. This is terrible — and terribly important."

purri
03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Yep. Admiral Horthy's troglodytes redux.

Cuyahoga Chuck
03-15-2012, 08:43 PM
The Magyars (Hungarians) are a rather stiff necked people. The speak one of the few nonindo-european languages in Europe and they see themselves as far different from their neighbors. They have long tried to connect their Magyar origins with the fearsome Huns. It's still a thrill for a parents to name a son "Atilla".
They also seem inclined to be stimulated by juicy jingoistic political sloganeering. For an industrious people they have saddled themselves with several disasterous right-wing governments.
They are important. There are about 10 million of them and they could turn around their economy if they had the right government.

purri
03-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Their origins are around Finland.

Wooden Boat Fittings
03-16-2012, 06:20 AM
...a nation that emerged from dictatorship, which is at the very least backsliding on democracy.

The Hungarians won't backslide on democracy. I remember what happened in 1956.* I've steamed up the Danube into Budapest at night, with the mist on the water and the castles all floodlit. Hungarians are fiercely nationalistic. I have Hungarian friends in Australia who've been here since the Uprising and who are still absolutely loyal to their homeland, and to what it means to them. Hungarians are far too proud a people to live by other's rules -- including those of unrepresentative parties.

Mike

* Read Michener's The Bridge at Andau if you're too young to know what happened in Hungary in 1956.

Cuyahoga Chuck
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Their origins are around Finland.

My sources say that is not correct. The three non indo-european languages are Finnish and Magyar which are classified as Ugro-finnics and Basque which has no relatives. The relationship of Magyar and Finnish suggests they had a common place of origin which was neither Finland nor Hungary
Modern day Hungarians are descended from the Magyar Tribes, a steppe people, which invaded the Danube Basin around the year 900 AD. Their westard thrust over the Carpathians seems to have been due to loss of ground to the Pechenegs another more powerful steppe trib.

Cuyahoga Chuck
03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
The Hungarians won't backslide on democracy. I remember what happened in 1956.* I've steamed up the Danube into Budapest at night, with the mist on the water and the castles all floodlit. Hungarians are fiercely nationalistic. I have Hungarian friends in Australia who've been here since the Uprising and who are still absolutely loyal to their homeland, and to what it means to them. Hungarians are far too proud a people to live by other's rules -- including those of unrepresentative parties.

Mike

* Read Michener's The Bridge at Andau if you're too young to know what happened in Hungary in 1956.

Hungarians have a shortcoming. They are excessively ethnocentric. The only people moreso are the Greeks and the Lithauanians.
The Hungarians once had a kingdom that was about as big as Poland. Unfortunately only half the citizens were ethnic Magyars so the Magyars used their control of government to try and turn everyone else into Magyars by instituting a language law and closing all schools that did not instruct in Hungarian. In 1920 the minorities had the muscle to get the Treaty of the Trianon which split off 3/4ths of the country and left it with what you see today.
They will deny it but the Magyars were not good masters and they paid the price.
Incidently my home town, Cleveland , Ohio, was in my youth, said to have more Hungarians than any place on earth except Budapest.

Read, "Racial Problems in Hungary", by R.W. Seton-Watson, 1908. Seton-Watson was one of the few English historians of the Austro-Hungarian Empire who was literate in the Magyar language.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-16-2012, 04:12 PM
You would not believe what the Hungarians did to the hammer dulcimer.

Tylerdurden
03-16-2012, 04:17 PM
The issue of Hungary is they are looking hard at Iceland and how they handled it. The leaders have indicated as much over the past few months. Of course we will have the talking heads go after them because they go against the central bankers rulebook. You have the start of a financial revolution coming from these country and the Paid pundits have a stake in stopping it.

Cuyahoga Chuck
03-16-2012, 05:06 PM
You would not believe what the Hungarians did to the hammer dulcimer.

The Slovaks play it too and every bit as well. In fact the late, great Gypsy fiddler Jan Berky-Mrenica had a string band complete with hammer dulcimer that was the toast of Budapest even tho' he and his men were Slovaks.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-17-2012, 04:22 AM
The Slovaks play it too and every bit as well. In fact the late, great Gypsy fiddler Jan Berky-Mrenica had a string band complete with hammer dulcimer that was the toast of Budapest even tho' he and his men were Slovaks.

"To", not "with".

Pedals, legs and casters.

http://images04.olx.hu/ui/3/84/98/56767698_1.jpg

purri
03-17-2012, 06:42 AM
My sources say that is not correct. The three non indo-european languages are Finnish and Magyar which are classified as Ugro-finnics and Basque which has no relatives. The relationship of Magyar and Finnish suggests they had a common place of origin which was neither Finland nor Hungary
Modern day Hungarians are descended from the Magyar Tribes, a steppe people, which invaded the Danube Basin around the year 900 AD. Their westard thrust over the Carpathians seems to have been due to loss of ground to the Pechenegs another more powerful steppe trib.

Might I finesse my post? IIRC the thrust of some steppe peoples had them occupy modern Finland and an offshoot turn to the southeast to the Danube. Basque is an entirely separate language of the traditional folk of Iberia (Celts) who were progressively displaced by Greeks, Phoenicians and Romans.

Open to comment...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
03-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Hungary certainly matters, but what I am not quite clear about is what is going on in Hungary.

Tylerdurden
03-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Catch them on Shortwave. Not sure if they live broadcast on the web. So far they are no cooperating with the central banks. That makes them bad and look for the demonetization and "we need to help them secure their freedoms " to start.