PDA

View Full Version : Bud McIntosh

DT
03-08-2000, 11:36 PM
Can anybody give me a contact for Buds plans, preferably a website? Also, why do his schooners appear to have large, flat transoms? Is this to make building a little easier?
Thanx-DT

Bob Cleek
03-09-2000, 11:51 PM
A flat transom is about the easiest to loft and build, except for a double ender, which is just another bow! LOL (I knew a professional boatbuilder who always built double enders... I asked why he was so enamored with them and he explained, "I never learned to loft a transom!" He was kidding, of course... but it's somewhat true.)

I think you will find a few of McIntosh's designs for sale through the WoodenBoat magazine's catalog. He designed a nice traditionally looking boat, that's for sure, but there are a whole lot of boat designs out there to consider. McIntosh would have to be considered a minor light in the world of yacht design and naval architecture. If you like McIntosh, you will love Alden, Billy Atkin and L.F. Herreshoff! LOL

Art Read
03-10-2000, 12:54 AM
Perhaps a "minor light" in design, Bob, but I think he was the best writer/teacher of traditional boatbuilding I've ever run across. Wish I could've met him... Everybody always seems to mention the the "holy trinity" of boatbuilding authors... To be perfectly honest, although I admire all their books and learned from all of them, Chapelle kinda puts me to sleep and Pardey's "The Hull", while an amazing display of boatbuilding prowess, would have done more to convince me that I couldn't POSSIBLY do THAT than inspire me had I read his book first. Bud's book had me down in the basement/garage with a tape measure as soon as I'd finished reading the introduction! I suspect his designs would be a builder's delight. Not to discredit the "masters", but I think there is something to be said for choosing a design drawn by a man who's busted a few planks and "stomped on his hat" a few times. Just a thought...

DT
03-10-2000, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys.Bob,I'm familiar with the designers you mentioned and I'm in love with the Fife transom/overhang.The reason I've been considering Bud's designs is he seems to lean toward the traditional look(I'm a fishing schooner freak)and simpicity of construction. Like Art, I really like his approach to construction,which is more in his attitude than differences in technique.When I build I plan to use all the simple,sturdy stuff like galvanized rigging and hardware.Another question I have is about the double steamed rib construction the Smiths used in "Eastwind".How do they plan to keep moisture from between the ribs. They must have used some type of "goop" but I couldn't tell from the pics in the last WB.Let me know what you guys know.Also. I've been thru WB's plans but alot of Bud's designs aren't there. Can anybody give me info on how to find the rest?
Don

John Gearing
03-10-2000, 11:33 AM
Pete Spectre's interview with Bud in WB #51 is a must-read! Here's what he had to say about being both a boatbuilder and a designer:

"Boatbuilders are the low men on the totem pole. You aren't supposed to know anything about design--you're supposed to take orders, carryout the artistry ofthe genius boat designer. I could never see any reason why the boatbuilder should not be competent to design a fairly good boat just because he was a boatbuilder. Being a boatbuilder might even have something in his favor, because he's been around quite a few boats--both successful and unsuccessful--and should have a good feeling for what will work."

"A boatbuilder who gets experience like that [building for a variety of designers] is quite likely to know more about construction than any single naval architect, who may have excellent ideas but who does things the same way over and over. The boatbuilder is exposed to a dozen architects of the same quality, each one of whom has very good ideas about how to do things. If the boatbuilder has any brains at all, he absorbs the ideas from those guys."

On learning boatbuilding:
"There's no mystery to boatbuilding. Anybody can do it; an expert can do it quicker and better, but all you need is some confidence and a little direction and reasonable facility with your hands, and you can go ahead. You couldn't build a really elegant boat right off, but what of it? You can build a simple plain one and throw it away, or sell it to someone if it's good enough, and then build another one. Your skills must be almost self-taught but they will lead to the final refinement of your craft."

Bud went on to point out that for example, William Atkins' designs were frequently found to have components that were "unbuildable" or that his calculations were off. Bud attributed this to the fact that Atkins was under contract to a magazine to produce a new design each month, in addition to his own design work for private clients. Consequently he didn't have the time to get all the details right. I also seem to recall that one of the raps against L. Francis Herreshoff was that sometimes his designs were fiendishly difficult to build. I think his fine daysailer, the H-14, was never produced in large numbers for just this reason. And while we're talking about Herreshoffs, didn't Nat build and sail his own boats before he ever went t MIT to study engineering? In fact, as I remember it, it was his blind older brother, John, who was into boats and Nat was tagged by the family as his brother's "helper" in life and so got involved with boats.

But really, whether the guy's designed ten boats or a thousand what difference does it make if his designs "work" and they look sweet to your eye? Anyone else have any thoughts on this????

As to where to get ahold of Bud's plans, my initial thought is that either his widow or his son Lou may have them. Try plugging the name into one of the online phone directories for Dover, NH and see what you get.

As for me, I dig his 25' flush decked gaff sloop Tuesday.

Roger Cumming
03-11-2000, 11:22 PM
DT, you should also consider the designs of the late George Stadel, of Stamford, Connecticut, whose son is carrying on this practice. Stadel designed schooners as well as yachts. He knew LFH, Chapelle (who acknowledged both Stadel and MacIntosh in
Boatbuilding, his great work. Stadel was a designer who knew how to build and rig boats, especially schooners. The 26' Pilot Sloop was one his best. Plans are available from Woodenboat. I remember picking out the half model of the Pilot on the wall of his studio. He commented that it was also Chapelle's favorite of his designs. I believe Stadel was MacIntosh's equal as a boatbuilder and more interesting a designer.

Bob Cleek
03-12-2000, 12:46 AM
All true, except the part about naval architects designing hard boats to build. I'm sure that's happened time and again, but I can't imagine the builder not setting the architect to rights about it right quick! LOL

kenw
03-16-2000, 07:56 PM
There's a nice article in the latest WB (#153) called "Pragmatic Dreamers." It's about the building of several boats to Bud's designs. Although there is no contact information for Bud that I can find.

Ed Harrow
03-16-2000, 10:01 PM
Contacting Bud is going to be tough. I don't think even Jerry Foulwell could do it.

Robert Taylor
03-17-2000, 06:53 PM
Downeast in Jonesport-Beals, thats in Maine for the uninitiated, there was a boatbuilder who built a sweet work boat styled motor cruiser. I believe it was called the Redwing. A number of them were built but the name of the builder ecsapes me. He was originally from Canada. Does anyone has any info on these craft. I saw a picture of one in a book on Maine lobster boats and drooled so hard the librarian thought the roof was leaking.
Robt. rolitay@hotmail.com

landlocked sailor
03-18-2000, 12:47 PM
'Redwing' is Karl Stambaugh's design. He is in Severna Park MD and his plans are available directly or through WB. He has a website but I cannot lay a hand on the URL right now. I found it in a recent issue of WB. Karl is a well known designer of plywood, epoxy boats and author of "The Good Skiff". BTW, I hesitate to "CLEEK" you but this has very little to do with Bud McIntosh and maybe ought to have been posted under its own topic. Regards, Rick

MG
12-03-2001, 09:58 AM
Perhaps the designer/builder you are looking for is Will Frost. He was born in Canada and began his boatbuilding there. He Moved to Jonesport/Beals Island where there was more demand for his designs. He's known as the father of the Jonesporter class. His boats are beautiful and unmistakeable.