PDA

View Full Version : here's one to discuss...

Phillip Allen
03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I know only what is in the link

http://www.4029tv.com/news/30639657/detail.html

Student Arrested Over Threatening Tweet

S.V. Airlie
03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
I thought I saw a puddy cat.OOOPs I did!http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u273/Bella_Rose_95/tweety.gif

Phillip Allen
03-08-2012, 08:14 PM
look everyone... Jamie has made a funny! :)

S.V. Airlie
03-08-2012, 08:16 PM
look everyone... Jamie has made a funny! :)Your chance to do so is coming Phillip sometime..:)

Ian McColgin
03-08-2012, 08:19 PM
No, it's just that thus far the paucity of information is such as to lend emphasis to your statement in the OP.

Phillip Allen
03-08-2012, 08:26 PM
No, it's just that thus far the paucity of information is such as to lend emphasis to your statement in the OP.

I didn't make any statement...

S.V. Airlie
03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I didn't make any statement...Point made Phillip. That is why Ian said what he did.

Phillip Allen
03-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I just put it up for discussion... I haven't developed any notion of what it means yet... (read that as "I haven't put up a target yet")

Paul Pless
03-08-2012, 08:33 PM
What the hell is going on in your state Phillip?

link (http://www.4029tv.com/news/27351988/detail.html)

B_B
03-08-2012, 08:37 PM

16' wide, what'd you expect?

B_B
03-08-2012, 08:39 PM
I didn't make any statement...
You actually did: "I know only what is in the link"

Phillip Allen
03-08-2012, 08:41 PM

I have no idea! Maybe Arkansas is catching up with the big city states

Phillip Allen
03-08-2012, 08:42 PM
You actually did: "I know only what is in the link" alright... no statement beyond that qualifier

Paul Pless
03-08-2012, 08:43 PM
alright... no statement beyond that qualifier

Oh man this is gonna be like that whole secret Hillary story Phillip used to rant about but would never share. . .

Phillip Allen
03-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Oh man this is gonna be like that whole secret Hillary story Phillip used to rant about but would never share. . .

I just saw the head line... thought it might be interesting

Phillip Allen
03-08-2012, 08:46 PM
so far... everyone wants to talk about me... I"m not interested in doing that

B_B
03-08-2012, 09:00 PM
That's right. You want to expend your considerable energies on "I just saw the head line... thought it might be interesting".

So what, exactly, would you like to discuss about this headline?

David G
03-08-2012, 10:44 PM

You're right... that'd be beau coup boring.

But still more interesting than your link, apparently. :rolleyes:

Ian McColgin
03-08-2012, 11:06 PM
B_B had it. Now put together the paucity of information in the click to with that statement and you have a statement of breathtaking epistemological modesty.

Phillip Allen
03-09-2012, 06:05 AM
okay... a 16 year old makes some sort of threat on this tweet mechanism and the police come to the school and haul him away... what are we coming to? the natuare of the 'threat' is not discussed by the arresting authority... they simply take him away for no stated reason beyond what we here claim is a paucity of information... how's that?

Ian McColgin
03-09-2012, 06:28 AM
One bit of info the very limited story has is that other kids got the tweet and as a group felt it needed to be reported. On reading it, the authorities also took it seriously. I don't know if the exact wording was then removed from the web and kept secret to prevent a viral spread of the threat, to maintain the evidence, to maintain the usual privacy that accompanies a juvenile arrest or exactly what. But I'd sure not leap to the conclusion that just because a local reporter didn't have the computer savvey and lucky timing to catch the story while it was on the web there must therefore be a law enforcement conspiracy.

Maybe further details will become public and Phillip with link them for us. Pending further information we all remain too uninformed to even speculate as to whether this is a sorry tale of police excess or a good example of teens managing to head off another Columbine or worse. How about we follow Sherlock Holmes' advice and not pointlessly speculate out in front of the data.

Paul Pless
03-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Its pretty generally accepted for oh say the last hundred years or so that 'making threat of violence' against another person is against the law. Making a 'threat of violence' against a group can be considered an act of terror. Given the events of the last ten years or so at schools where children have been harmed and even killed by fellow students, including in your home state, how do you think the authorities should have reacted?

If you'd care to do a little more googling, you'd have found this:

"The internet posting made reference to the Columbine school tragedy in 1999 and a threat to reenact Columbine," a report from the police department states.

That took me less than 3 seconds. . .

Phillip Allen
03-09-2012, 06:34 AM
I suppose I would like to think the authorities acted properly... I was just wondering if there were opposing ideas on it

Phillip Allen
03-09-2012, 06:36 AM
One bit of info the very limited story has is that other kids got the tweet and as a group felt it needed to be reported. On reading it, the authorities also took it seriously. I don't know if the exact wording was then removed from the web and kept secret to prevent a viral spread of the threat, to maintain the evidence, to maintain the usual privacy that accompanies a juvenile arrest or exactly what. But I'd sure not leap to the conclusion that just because a local reporter didn't have the computer savvey and lucky timing to catch the story while it was on the web there must therefore be a law enforcement conspiracy.

Maybe further details will become public and Phillip with link them for us. Pending further information we all remain too uninformed to even speculate as to whether this is a sorry tale of police excess or a good example of teens managing to head off another Columbine or worse. How about we follow Sherlock Holmes' advice and not pointlessly speculate out in front of the data.

I didn't think I was speculating... but you did

is it that hard to think that I might simply have wanted to hear other peoples ideas on the topic?

John Smith
03-09-2012, 06:41 AM
I know only what is in the link

http://www.4029tv.com/news/30639657/detail.html

Student Arrested Over Threatening Tweet

What was the threat? Kind of hard to discuss without knowing that.

Ian McColgin
03-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Thank you Paul for pulling up a bit more.

It's of course possible that the police got carried away here, but having watched kids and knowing a few, they don't tend to scare easily over someone just mouthing off whether verbally or internettedly.

Phillip Allen
03-09-2012, 07:02 AM
What was the threat? Kind of hard to discuss without knowing that.

I'm glad Paul found out more... I didn't find it

when I was that age, I used to be singled out because I wouldn't fight back... the more aggressive boys couldn't/wouldn't resist... I hated it. I never, however, made threats. That would have been desperate indeed... eventually I got mad enough to beat the living daylights out of one of them (sprained both my wrists and actually temporarly blinded him) and that put an end to it. I have always resented that fact that I had to hit the guy... he just wouldn't allow me to have it any other way (It was also the last fist fight I ever had... actually, we were 18 at the time)

I guess I am wondering, out loud, what the rest of the story might be