PDA

View Full Version : What's Really Making Us Fat?

SaltyBoatr
03-08-2012, 04:44 PM
One (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/whats-really-making-us-fat/254087/1/?single_page=true)study conducted at Princeton University indicates that types of calories do matter. Researchers found that rats drinking high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) gained significantly more weight than rats drinking sugar water, even though the amount of calories consumed was the same. The rats drinking HFCS also exhibited signs of metabolic syndrome, including abnormal weight gain, especially visceral fat around the belly, and significant increases in circulating triglycerides.... fructose itself is an obesogen. "Crystalline fructose doesn't exist in nature, we're making that," he says. "Fructose is not a food. People think fructose comes from fruit but it doesn't. The fructose that we eat is synthesized. ... (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/whats-really-making-us-fat/254087/1/?single_page=true)

Is High Fructose Corn Syrup food? It doesn't look like it.

Tall Boy
03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
One (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/whats-really-making-us-fat/254087/1/?single_page=true)study conducted at Princeton University indicates that types of calories do matter. Researchers found that rats drinking high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) gained significantly more weight than rats drinking sugar water, even though the amount of calories consumed was the same. The rats drinking HFCS also exhibited signs of metabolic syndrome, including abnormal weight gain, especially visceral fat around the belly, and significant increases in circulating triglycerides.... fructose itself is an obesogen. "Crystalline fructose doesn't exist in nature, we're making that," he says. "Fructose is not a food. People think fructose comes from fruit but it doesn't. The fructose that we eat is synthesized. ... (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/whats-really-making-us-fat/254087/1/?single_page=true)

Is High Fructose Corn Syrup food? It doesn't look like it.

Sloth makes you fat............

George Jung
03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Saw a study looking at weightloss/exercise/food intake. Three groups - 1)control, couchpotatoes, unrestricted diet. 2) and 3) ate a similar diet, but exercised similarly and daily. But group 2) exercised first, then had breakfast whereas 3) had bkfst first, then exercised. After 6 months, 1) had all gained wt. 2) and 3) both lost weight - but 2) lost twice as much weight as did 3).

Interesting, isn't it?

BrianW
03-08-2012, 05:05 PM
You're 22 times more likely to be fat, in a household with food, as compared to households without food. :D

BrianW
03-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Interesting, isn't it?

So the study suggest eating brekkie before exercise is better?

How about the creatine? I take that after I work out.

Paul Pless
03-08-2012, 05:18 PM
What's Really Making Us Fat?

Let me guess. . . . . .guns are making us fat!

What'd I win.:d

George Jung
03-08-2012, 05:20 PM
No. The study says weight loss was greater if you exercised first, and then had breakfast. Creatine - not addressed.

switters
03-08-2012, 05:22 PM
we like you just the way you are salty, it is those jeans that make you look fat.

Paul Pless
03-08-2012, 05:23 PM
we like you just the way you are salty, it is those jeans that make you look fat.

How many times have you been married?

BrianW
03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Let me guess. . . . . .guns are making us fat!

What'd I win.:d

Nothing. That's what I was hinting at in my first reply. I used the "22x more likely..." statistic from the other thread about anti-gun signs on buses ... Ah screw it. If I have to explain it, it wasn't funny. ;)

switters
03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
How many times have you been married?

2 marriages and two engagements that never made it to the aisle, why do you ask?|:)

seanz
03-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Sloth makes you fat............

Fried sloth makes you even fatter.......

pipefitter
03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Us??

Shang
03-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Pump iron, less fat.
It works for me.

Waddie
03-09-2012, 01:57 AM
What's making us fat?

Sitting at the computer and other things like it and not being active enough. Calories expended must match calories taken in, no matter where the calories come from.
Having said that, I'm not fat. I never drink pop or eat fast food. Not once in over ten years. Green tea and home cooking. Or a family style restaurant. Once in a while a good steak.

regards,
Waddie

purri
03-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Fried sloth makes you even fatter.......
as for fried Maori and Pakeha eh?