PDA

View Full Version : A jet drive question

Pelican
08-15-2003, 05:55 PM
I have an old Kawasaki jet ski with a blown engine. Am considering pulling the jet drive and putting it in a small jonboat type plywood skiff (12-14 foot). Anybody got any idea how much power is needed to operate this type of unit?

Pelican
08-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Thanks Donn. I'm really not lookin' for jet ski type performance. I want something that will operate in just a few inches of water. Air boat would be great but I already have a jet unit - ain't got no airplane propeller :D

JimM
08-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Pelican
Your Jet Pump will act as a govener. If you connect a engine of more horse power to the pump you will still only be able to pump the maximum design GPM. Any additional horse power is wasted and just added weight in your boat. You would be best served by finding a motor of similar horse power and maximum RPM of the original Jet Ski engine.

[ 08-15-2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: JimM ]

Big Red
08-16-2003, 06:48 AM
Pelican you lucky bugger! I have been looking out for a jet unit myself, from a destroyed or wrecked jet ski. I don't know what a jon boat is, but I was thinking of a small wooden hull in the range your talking about, perhaps 10 foot long. That I could use to terrorise my local river. Yeehah!! :D

I think you would be easily be able to get the horsepower from a manufacturers web site. Also wouldn't you need to match the rpm... the impellor was designed to spin in a certain rpm range after all. Good luck with it.

Daz

Pelican
08-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Yo Daz, a jon boat sounds like what you want to build. Flat bottom, square bow, shallow draft. I have a two cylinder 25 hp engine with a horizontal shaft. It might do since I am not trying to achieve jetski performance.

Iceboy
08-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Try this link. http://jetjon.homestead.com/page1.html