PDA

View Full Version : Flutterby found

bmhogan739@yahoo.com
03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I was contacted by Seattle's Center for Wooden Boats about Flutterby. She was donated years ago and is now in a bad state. I believe I have taken ownership of her. I am fling out this weekend 3/10/12 to see her. I have always wanted to build Herreshoff's #48. I'll update after my trip. Flutterby can be seen at http://www.acabinetmaker.com/flutterby.html.

johngsandusky
03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Looks beautiful. Good luck, keep us posted.

bmhogan739@yahoo.com
03-20-2012, 07:52 AM
I went to see Flutterby in Seattle at the Center for Wooden Boats. Kyle Hunter showed me her, safely locked away in a corner of an open warehouse along with other wooden boat treasures. Though she was the worse for ware, she is a wonder to see. she was actually not as bad off as I had thought after reading her latest survey. She is in no uncertain terms "in good shape" but she was sound, still holding herself together. Oh there's plenty of work to be done and I am going to do it. We'll be picking her up mid summer and bringing her back to the East Coast to my shop. I'll be up dating my web page with her current pictures soon. I'll keep in touch.

" up dated photos www.acabinetmaker.com/flutterby002.html "

rbgarr
03-20-2012, 09:19 AM
She was in Bath, Maine in the late 70s and looked quite a bit better than she does now. I wonder if she's been moving around since then without having any restoration done.

Eric Hvalsoe
03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
I see that the strategy of tamping down expectations worked . . . that is a joke, sort of. Our 'survey' was unremittingly harsh. First and foremost the collections committee of cwb has been wanting to find a good home for flutterby - looks like we have found one. Whatever the condition of the hull, she is a remarkable piece of engineering, ahead of her time really. Good Luck.
Eric

Ben Fuller
03-20-2012, 08:54 PM
For some more info on Flutterby, you can ride up to Mystic for a look at Butterfly, which you may know. Need an appointment though.

bmhogan739@yahoo.com
03-21-2012, 05:37 AM
For some more info on Flutterby, you can ride up to Mystic for a look at Butterfly, which you may know. Need an appointment though.

Thanks, I went up there last Dec. Butterfly is in permanent storage, though I was able to take plenty of photo's and take lap strake measurements.

bmhogan739@yahoo.com
08-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Well in late June we flew out to Seattle and with help from the good people at the Wooden Boat Center we loaded Flutterby onto a 26' box truck and drove her across the country to New Jersey. Where we can start her restoration. I'm starting a bog at rescue flutterby.com and I will of course keep updating my web site acabinetmaker.com/flutterby.html. She is pretty worn out but she is still holding her lines and is as beautiful now as when I first saw her in 1982. We have a lot of work ahead of us but that's what friends are for.

johngsandusky
08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Great! Keep us posted.

nedL
08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
So I have to ask, .... where in Red Bank are you doing the restoration?? I grew up in Rumson & have family in Red Bank.

bmhogan739@yahoo.com
08-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm walking distance to Broad street. I've a small garage shop and I'm setting up a storage structure to house Flutterby and do the work. Hoping to set up classes to help fund the renovation. I also teach night school, cabinetmaking classes, now I'll be adding Bodybuilding too.