PDA

View Full Version : Can a plunge saw cut curves?

CundysHarbor
03-06-2012, 10:11 AM
I need to cut a number of very gradual curves in two inch Doug fir. I have used my Milwaukee skill saw and would like to cut down on the dust all over the shop. Here is the question. Is it possible to follow a curve using one of the new plunge saws like Festool or DeWalt? I fear the blade may be hidden from view by the dust collection apparatus. Additionally, is it possible to disable the splitter to make it easier to cut to a curve?
Dave

chuckt
03-06-2012, 10:18 AM
You can see the blade. I tested one of the Festools. Cool saw. Lovely dust revmoval. $$$.

Mrleft8
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I tried unsuccessfully to do this with the Festool..... It was a brutal lesson that nearly sprained my wrist. Perhaps it can be done, but not by me.
Cant use a jig saw?

Tom Robb
03-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't know about Festool's saw, but a normal skillsaw type saw cuts easy plank curves probably better than a jigsaw.
But you probably knew that.
If you could cobble up a curved track for the beasties it might work.
Let us know.
G'luck.
Tom

CundysHarbor
03-06-2012, 10:25 AM
To put some numbers on the curve.....The cuts are ten feet long with a bow of six inches. I think I am a pretty good woodworker but the jig saw and I are not great friends.

Mrleft8
03-06-2012, 10:46 AM
AH! Go to Home Dept... You might find some 2X4's with that curve in them right off the rack! :D

TerryLL
03-06-2012, 11:00 AM
To put some numbers on the curve.....The cuts are ten feet long with a bow of six inches. I think I am a pretty good woodworker but the jig saw and I are not great friends.

Skilsaw is the tool to use.

Draketail
03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Seconded. A Skill saw will follow a 6" in 10' curve easily. And, it will be much fairer than with a jig saw. Adjust the depth of blade so it just comes throught the plank stock.

Ron Williamson
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
It's pretty easy to mickey mouse a dust collector on the exhaust port with duct tape,a water bottle and shop vac.
R

Jay Greer
03-06-2012, 12:25 PM
The number one tool I won't work or be without is a bandsaw.
Jay

Eddiebou
03-06-2012, 08:57 PM
When I don't want to make dust in my shop, I set up some sawhorses outside. Dust? What dust? Maybe you just want to buy another tool. Go ahead. It's your $$$.

Michael D. Storey
03-07-2012, 07:57 AM
When I don't want to make dust in my shop, I set up some sawhorses outside. Dust? What dust? Maybe you just want to buy another tool. Go ahead. It's your $$$.

Yeah, I'm like this guy. Outside, with an assistant to suck or blow the dust away. Even where you are, i reckon the sun shines every now and then

JoshuaIII
03-07-2012, 08:00 AM
No dust in a wood shop?! That's what give that nice smell to it, and absorb half of your lunch you drop on the floor...

Where the guy with the signature: never trust a man with a clean workshop :)