PDA

View Full Version : A question the Mechanical Experts.

AussieBarney
03-04-2012, 01:33 AM
I am re-assembling the Volvo Penta MD7A to go in my Garvey build. I have priced the exhaust gasket for it and they want a small fortune for the part.

My question is; Can I use soft copper sheet to make a gasket for this application? as far as I can tell there are no clearance issues.

PeterSibley
03-04-2012, 03:41 AM
Do you have the old gasket Barney ? You might be able to reuse that on if you annealed it first .

Shifter
03-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Barney,

Should be ok to use soft copper sheet but you might want to look at Pilot jointing which has wire reinforcing in it, much better job and probably cheaper.

skaraborgcraft
03-04-2012, 05:19 AM
The exhaust gasket is not a critical as say a head gasket would be. Cut one yourself from sheet.I have even used lead sheet from battery internals (washed) as gasket material on low pressure joints. Although as im currently in Sweden perhaps i should urge you to buy the original part so Sven Svensson still has a job to go to tomorrow. Cheers

PeterSibley
03-04-2012, 05:48 AM
I'd be tempted to take a crayon rubbing of the required gasket down to Repco Barney ... ask for the cheapest exhaust gasket that would cover the drawing .Then break out the tin snips and make it fit .

NickW
03-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Here, jointing material is readily available in sheet form (usually A4 size) from car part discount stores. See what they've got ib stock and use that. It would be a good idea to Copperslip or Molyslip all surfaces including threads before assembly. Then you won't spend x hours cussing when you have to dismantle it again.

Nick