PDA

View Full Version : Somes Sound 12 1/2

nordicboats
02-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I am currently building the Somes Sound which is a Clinker version of the Haven 12 1/2. I have set up a blog at nordicboats.blogspot.com if anyone is interested in following the progress of the build. If anyone else out there is also building the Somes Sound I would like to share ideas.

rsblev
02-28-2012, 12:11 AM
I'll be paying close attention to this one. That's a beautiful little boat. It is definitely on my short list for builds some day. Good luck, and please take lots of photos.
Randy

rsblev
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Wholly crap dude. I was expecting the beginnings of a boat build. I just visited your blog. You've made some serious progress. I'm impressed.

StevenBauer
02-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Beautiful, Dave. Looks great. You're doing a fine job.

Steven

nordicboats
02-28-2012, 12:29 AM
You're looking at a little over a years work. The problem with winter is you are a slave to the weather. I got lucky for a couple weeks in February and was able to get two coats of primer on and two coats of red for the bottom. The weatherman says we are going to get it in March so it may be a while before I can paint the rest of the hull. I really want to get her turned over as there is a lot of work to be done on the interior.

Dave

rsblev
02-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Silly question, and please pardon my ignorance. Did the plans call for installing the keel before flipping the boat? Seems like it would add a serious degree of difficulty to flipping that sucker. Can't wait to see more. Thanks.

St.J
02-28-2012, 01:09 AM
That looks fantastic.
Thanks for sharing.
St.John

nordicboats
02-29-2012, 01:09 AM
The plans call for installing the keel last with the boat upright. It was my idea to install the keel at this stage. I will be photographing the roll over process as soon as the weather allows me to finish painting the hull. I plan to us three chain hoists to roll her over. I'm sure it will be every bit as much fun as pouring the lead keel.

Dave

Ed Armstrong
02-29-2012, 11:57 AM
This is a great design. I'll really enjoy looking through your blog when I have more time.

...finished reading the blog. She's coming along nicely. I wouldn't mind seeing her in-person some time. I'm only a couple of hours south of you in Placerville. Let me know if you need help when it comes time to turn her over.

Ed

almeyer
02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Very nice blog on a fantastic design. You're doing well
Al

Sailor
03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I think this thread needs pictures! :D

tommy b
03-12-2012, 12:30 AM
do you plan to sail this beauty this summer? where will you be sailing her when complete?
you are doing a wonderful job.

nordicboats
03-12-2012, 11:41 AM
do you plan to sail this beauty this summer? where will you be sailing her when complete?
you are doing a wonderful job.

We have two lakes in the area which are close at hand and fairly good for sailing. Rollens Reservoir and Scotts Flat are both about 30 minutes drive. Scotts Flat has a sailing club so I may be tempted to joint. By the way, Somes Sound will probably be put up for sale after I get started on my next boat which will be either a Wee Seal or Paul Gartside's Plan #93 an 18 Ft Cutter.

Dave

Rik van der Vaart
03-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for making your blog. Just ordered the plans myself.