PDA

View Full Version : Outliers

ron ll
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Have you ever found yourself to be an outlier on something? Something everyone else likes and you don't, or vice versa? I like a lot of music, but by far mostly classical. But I can't stand Vivaldi. Everyone else loves Vivaldi, "The Red Priest". But I find his music boring and insipid. I like just about every other type of classical music, early, romantic, classical period, opera, modern. But every time Vivaldi comes on the station that I listen to at work, I scramble for the mute button. But obviously I am wrong, but not much I can do about it. :)

Mrleft8
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
yeah..... I call him "Joe Green"..... It's "sensitive guy" music.... I tried to pretend I enjoyed it back in the 80's, mostly because of the perceived enhanced love life opportunity..... It didn't help, so I went back to the old stand bys.... Beatles, Stones, Talking Heads, Clash.....

ron ll
02-27-2012, 04:56 PM
yeah..... I call him "Joe Green"..... It's "sensitive guy" music.... I tried to pretend I enjoyed it back in the 80's, mostly because of the perceived enhanced love life opportunity..... It didn't help, so I went back to the old stand bys.... Beatles, Stones, Talking Heads, Clash.....

Isn't Joe Green Guiseppe Verdi?

seanz
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I was one of the first people to realize that Seinfeld wasn't funny and never would be.

I also have contentious opinions about the modern education system, but I didn't know they were, untill I aired them on this forum.
;)

tigerregis
02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I once was given some Annie Oakley's to see Tafelmusik in Toronto. Ever since I have loved Baroque played on period instruments. OTHO, still listen to The Beatles.
Ditto on Seifeld.

SMARTINSEN
02-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Most folks have fib*****ss boats. I think that on the whole it is quite safe to say that the WBF is an iconoclastic bunch.

elf
02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Have you ever found yourself to be an outlier on something? Something everyone else likes and you don't, or vice versa? I like a lot of music, but by far mostly classical. But I can't stand Vivaldi. Everyone else loves Vivaldi, "The Red Priest". But I find his music boring and insipid. I like just about every other type of classical music, early, romantic, classical period, opera, modern. But every time Vivaldi comes on the station that I listen to at work, I scramble for the mute button. But obviously I am wrong, but not much I can do about it. :)

You're not wrong, you have taste! Add Handel and I'll join you.

elf
02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Joe Green is an amazing composer, with some of the most incredible music of the late 19th c. The Requiem, the Quattro Pezzi Sacri, Falstaff - brilliant, phenomenal music.

Keith Wilson
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't like Mozart very much. Never have. So sure me. ;)

elf
02-27-2012, 08:16 PM
I didn't like Mozart until I wrote a paper on Rossini's Barber of Seville. Then I listened to Figaro and realized what Mozart was.

purri
02-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Wagner and another that Zappa referred to as "hot moves with the mike wire" (Neil Diamante).

PhaseLockedLoop
02-27-2012, 11:21 PM
I was one of the first people to realize that Seinfeld wasn't funny and never would be.

I also have contentious opinions about the modern education system, but I didn't know they were, untill I aired them on this forum.
;)

Sounds promising.

leikec
02-28-2012, 12:12 AM
"Citizen Kane", and Beatles music (other than a few songs...). I also hate Hemmingway's books, but I see the genius of the man in his short stories. Also not a fan of cookie dough--not even in ice cream.

Jeff C

Arizona Bay
02-28-2012, 01:23 AM
Sienfeld wasn't funny. I thought Glen Beck was indulging in satire the one time I heard him. Didn't know who it was until I was told, and that he was being serious! :D

Try... the very nature of reality, what we are and what we are doing here, not as an idea or ideal, but the experience of it. It's OK out here :p

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Cucumbers - proof that satan exists.