PDA

View Full Version : Cypress for cabinets and trim?

RichKrough
02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
I may have asked this a few years ago when I was drawing my current house but I can't find the thread.......

Been finalizing the floor plans for my Wilmington NC house I'm starting in 2014. I was going to use Cherry for cabinets and Meranti for trim again. I have a couple pieces of Cypress (not pecky) that look pretty good after setting around a couple of years and taking on some color. I'm thinking of maybe using Cypress this time . I want to get the cabinets and trim made before I pack up the shop this fall.

How is cypress to work with ? especially concerned about glue-up and about panel raising on the shaper. It seems to have a pretty coarse grain to it. Anyone tried making entry doors with Cypress?

RichKrough
02-27-2012, 01:55 PM
From my 1974 ed. of Wood Handbook- Wood as an Engineering Material-
"... It is also used for caskets, burial boxes, sash, doors, blinds, and general millwork, including interior trim and panelling."

It would seem to me that how it is sawn would determine its usability in certain applications.

Doug Yeah that is what I was reading too. What I have is all flat sawn . I think there may be different sub species, The Cypress I have has grain almost like southern yellow pine. It would be difficult to finish without raising the grain.

Paul Girouard
02-27-2012, 02:19 PM
How much do you have on hand?

A quick goggle search shows interior . exterior trim , doors , flooring , etc. So if you had a butt load of it in varying thickness , and widths I'd say go for it.

But IF your going to come up short you may have issue procuring the remain stock unless $$ are not a consideration. And as I'm sure in the past you've had the same issues I've run into with finding the right color tone, texture , widths , thicknesses when looking for 50 more BF/ LF of any thing you had "just enough" of.

Chris Coose
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Long time ago I trimmed a a kitchen renovation in Samuel Eliot Morrison's NE Harbor summer cottage to match the rest of the cypress. It was a real joy but I can't tell you much about how the glue joints held up. It sanded out nicely to take varnish. The grain raised some and added to the rich texture and hue.

Mrleft8
02-27-2012, 03:42 PM
It works beautifully if it's fairly clear. Hand planing is the way to get it smooth. Sanding will be a chore. It gums up paper pretty quickly, and the soft wood/hardwood thing is also an issue.
It moves a lot, so figure that in to your calculations for panels.
This is a detail of a Cypress and Ebony table that I made 30 years ago. No sanding, just wax over hand planed wood.
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23/Mrleft8/cypress002.jpg

RichKrough
02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
It works beautifully if it's fairly clear. Hand planing is the way to get it smooth. Sanding will be a chore. It gums up paper pretty quickly, and the soft wood/hardwood thing is also an issue.
It moves a lot, so figure that in to your calculations for panels.
This is a detail of a Cypress and Ebony table that I made 30 years ago. No sanding, just wax over hand planed wood.

That is pretty Lefty! I see what you mean about the planing, I ran one side through the planer this this morning and it looks a lot better!

Paul, Chris and Doug;

Thanks for the replies, I have a small cabinet job coming up in few days and while every thing is set up I'll make a raised panel door and see how it looks for kitchen cabinets.

I ( rather my wife) changed my mind on using it for trim and interior doors, All of our furniture is walnut or stained white oak, it would clash with the lighter colored cypress.

kevinlee
12-31-2012, 01:52 AM
Cypress is a soft stuff. Its a beautiful wood, also its inexpensive and will take stain well.
Affordable Kitchen Cabinets (http://remodelproducts.com/kitchen-cabinets/)

MiddleAgesMan
12-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Good quality cypress is beautiful and easy to work with. I used 7/8 inch thick clear cypress for the floors and framing on my Simmons. Before that I used it along with cherry for the interior of my schooner.

There is a company in North Florida that will make your raised panel doors out of cypress. They are near the source for really nice cypress so the price is reasonable. I cannot recall the name but IIRC they are in a small town, Madison, perhaps...something that starts with an M.

One of my former customers (I sold products to the cabinet industry) supplied high-end stuff to the mega-houses all over Florida. Almost every project included an outdoor kitchen, under shelter usually near the swimming pool. He would make those cabinets out of cypress including the doors which he bought from that company which cannot be named. :)

Here is the contact info for the company, Real Wood Products of Madison Florida: http://www.cabinetpages.com/Company/3786/real-wood-products/

Their website is not working so they may not have survived the housing bust. They were starting to offer pre-finished doors (to compete with my offerings) and were having a struggle with consistency. The housing bust may have caught them with their pants down.

botebum
12-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Rich, Did you get those cabinets built? (This thread is a year old and Rich has moved his construction date up a year.)

Doug

RichKrough
01-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Rich, Did you get those cabinets built? (This thread is a year old and Rich has moved his construction date up a year.)

Doug

No, I made a door and frame sample. It is truly a beautiful wood, but it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the house interior. I went back to cherry for the cabinets and mahogany(Utile/Sipo) for the interior trim. I was going to build the cabinets ahead of time but I ran out of time and had to break down the shop and put it in storage. I am using rough sawn cypress for some of the siding and exterior trim. Also using 1x6 T&G over top of the exposed rafters on the eaves and the porch.