PDA

View Full Version : New idea for our economy thread

John Smith
02-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Let's see if we can come up with some positive ideas, rather than hitting each other over the head repeatedly with words.

How would a simple tax of 5 cents, not 5%, but 5 cents on everything shipped or delivered. If you order something online, on top of the cost of purchase and shipping, you pay a 5 cent shipping tax. If you order a new washing machine from Sears and it is deliivered, you pay a 5 cent delivery tax.

Sermons delivered would be exempt:D

This would seem pretty painless, but it would likely total up to a substantial amount of revenue to put toward the debt or to infrastructure rebuilding.

David G
02-26-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm sorry sir, but I now have to hit you over the head with words <G>

Interesting plan. Simple. Straightforward.

What would the result be? How much revenue would be generated? How much cost per transaction would be incurred? The net? What incentives and disincentives would you be setting up, and what secondary and tertiary effects would they have?

I can't answer these questions, either. What I can do is lay you pretty good odds that - by the time you were done answering them, and all the other questions appropriate to vetting a tax proposal - you'd be ready to think again.

And I didn't even touch on the political considerations.