PDA

View Full Version : joy of flying

Paul Pless
02-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Just missed my second flight of the day. Maybe I'll get home tomorrow. . .

Atlanta sucks!

RichKrough
02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Atlanta is a hell hole of an airport. Doesn't Southwest fly Birmingham to Detroit?

Mrleft8
02-24-2012, 09:15 PM
"Burmingham" Y'awl..:D

RichKrough
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
"Burmingham" Y'awl..:D

B-Town as the truckers call it. R's make you spit your chewing tobacco.

Mrleft8
02-24-2012, 09:32 PM
B-Town as the truckers call it. R's make you spit your chewing tobacco.
AHA! I knew there was a reason that Bostonians didn't use "R"s! :D

Michael Beckman
02-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Last time I flew into Atlanta was awful. 4 hour delay leaving Sea-Tac, which resulted in a missed flight in Atlanta. After about an hour of waiting in line, I finally found out my next flight left in 10 minutes. Ran to the gate, just barely made it. When I got to Nassau I found out my bags were... somewhere. They showed up the next day, which was fortunate, since the boat I was working on was leaving port.

BrianW
02-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Just missed my second flight of the day. Maybe I'll get home tomorrow. . .

Atlanta sucks!

I've had pretty good luck there. Easy enough to get around and very simple layout.

Mrleft8
02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I've had pretty good luck there. Easy enough to get around and very simple layout.

B-Dub.....This is Slim we're talking about, here..... He can get lost in the express check-out line at the dollar store..... :D

Waddie
02-24-2012, 10:14 PM
I think the Atlanta airport is set up pretty well - it's just way too busy. I use the subway train to get around down there and once you go through the TSA you have access to food vendors and restrooms.

The opposite is KCI (Kansas City). Built in a octopus layout it's lots of walking between gates. And all of the vendors, bars, restrooms, etc., are OUTSIDE of the TSA checkpoint. So if you have to go to the restroom you have to go back through the TSA (no fun there) to get back in. But KCI isn't usually that busy, not like Atlanta at least.

Midway in Chicago is the only airport that scares me a little. Landing and taking off there is a real thrill ride. It's enclosed tightly on all sides by tall buildings, so you sort of just drop onto the ground. Not much room for error or mechanical problems.

So Atlanta ain't so bad.

regards,
Waddie

Bob Adams
02-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Atlanta is OK....Delta Airlines is what sucks!

Paul Pless
02-25-2012, 07:16 AM
Home!

The lament of the frequent flyer through Atlanta.

So my flight into Atlanta was delayed a couple of hours due to afternoon thunderstorms, which made me miss my connection. This **** happens all the time in Atlanta; like I said my commuter was delayed two hours but my connecting flight only about 10 minutes so I missed it. Before I left Montgomery I rebooked onto a later connecting flight home. I made it to Atlanta in plenty of time to make that flight, but then there was no gate available so we sat on the ramp for 40 minutes, which made me miss my second flight by one minute - seriously - one minute. "Oh so sorry the cabin door has been closed." I wandered around in a daze for a minute or two, contemplating , a random act of violence (briefly), sleeping in the airport or finding a room nearby; when I came to my senses I was standing in front of a very tired gate agent. I handed her my ticket. She typed away for about five full minutes, talking to other gate agents busily through an earpiece the entire time, and doing a lot of frowning. As this process lengthened I figured I was screwed. Then! Then, she handed me a ticket on the last flight out, "Mr. Plessner, you just got the last seat home." All of a sudden she looked horrified. I think she thought I was gonna jump over the counter and hug and kiss her. To be honest I thought about it. I wandered away and had three stiff drinks before boarding the plane for home, made it here about 2:00 a.m.

The Bigfella
02-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Did you get a welcome home?

Don't answer that.

I think you Yanks get too aggro with these things. I walked into the Hilton in Washington DC and the young woman on the desk looked worried.

"I'm sorry Mr Big Fella (well, something like that, sorta), but the person in your room hasn't checked out and we don't have another room".... and then she took a step backwards.

I almost laughed... the whole step backwards thing... as if I was going to bite her head off. I'd been flying most of the day.... LA to Cleveland (minus a bazzilion degrees there) and after the plane was de-iced, down to DC.... and I just said... "So, what do you propose we do?"

Step forward.... "Oh sir, we've taken a room for you just down the road at the (can't remember), our Porter will take your bags, we will pick up the tab and please accept our apologies"

Guess where I'll stay if I ever get back to DC.

What really interested me was her expectation that I'd explode. Maybe Russell Crowe had stayed there?

Mrleft8
02-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Welcome home. One thing I learned early on in my relationship with Carter is:..... Be nice to gate agents. Ask gate agents if you can get them a coffee even if you see they have a full cup. If you're nice to a gate agent, the gate agent may be nice to you. Be rude, or mean to a gate agent, and you sit in the terminal all day.

Paul Pless
02-25-2012, 08:17 AM
I would absolutely never be rude to a gate agent.

Mrleft8
02-25-2012, 08:27 AM
No... But you'd be surprised at how many aggravated travelers take their frustrations out on the gate agent. And gate agents are probably making less money than the guy behind the counter at the SBarro's serving rubber burritos.

Peter Kalshoven
02-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Welcome home. One thing I learned early on in my relationship with Carter is:..... Be nice to gate agents. Ask gate agents if you can get them a coffee even if you see they have a full cup. If you're nice to a gate agent, the gate agent may be nice to you. Be rude, or mean to a gate agent, and you sit in the terminal all day.

I was standing behind a guy who was just unloading on a gate agent one time. I finally got tired of it, even though she was just taking the abuse, so I stepped up real close behind him, tapped him on the shoulder, leaned down into his face, and in my deepest voice said, "Did you ever think that if you quit yelling at her, she might just help you?" He looked up, looked a little nervous, (I was looking fairly large to him at this point) and said, "Oh, right, sorry." And he calmed down. I stepped back, waited until he was done, stepped up and handed over my paperwork. The agent smiled, said Thank You, and proceeded to upgrade me to first class.
ALWAYS be nice to gate agents! LOL

Hollingsworth
02-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Midway in Chicago is the only airport that scares me a little. Landing and taking off there is a real thrill ride. It's enclosed tightly on all sides by tall buildings, so you sort of just drop onto the ground. Not much room for error or mechanical problems.

regards,
Waddie

I fly in and out of MDW every week. (Closer to my home than ORD). It's a hot approach, but you get used to it.

Mrleft8
02-25-2012, 05:00 PM
I was standing behind a guy who was just unloading on a gate agent one time. I finally got tired of it, even though she was just taking the abuse, so I stepped up real close behind him, tapped him on the shoulder, leaned down into his face, and in my deepest voice said, "Did you ever think that if you quit yelling at her, she might just help you?" He looked up, looked a little nervous, (I was looking fairly large to him at this point) and said, "Oh, right, sorry." And he calmed down. I stepped back, waited until he was done, stepped up and handed over my paperwork. The agent smiled, said Thank You, and proceeded to upgrade me to first class.
ALWAYS be nice to gate agents! LOL
Somehow I'd imagine that you'd look fairly large to most people, most of the time, no matter what the circumstances...:D

Bob Adams
02-25-2012, 05:15 PM
I fly in and out of MDW every week. (Closer to my home than ORD). It's a hot approach, but you get used to it.

I've had a few bumpy ones coming in to O'Hare over the lake. Every time I have a hairy landing, I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBP75QbAcg

The Bigfella
02-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Somehow I'd imagine that you'd look fairly large to most people, most of the time, no matter what the circumstances...:D

I had a similar incident about 15 years ago. Quaintarse had lost my luggage and I was behind a guy who was going beserk... accusing the staff of stealing his bag so they could go through it, etc, etc. I had had a gutful of it, as had the staff, so I just said (over his head to the lost luggage clerk) "Can you call security, I'm about to go beserk and rip someone's head off". The guy actually shut up after that. Quaintarse delivered my bag via taxi later that night.

C. Ross
02-25-2012, 08:04 PM
180,000 miles on Delta last year, all domestic. I am not a fan of Atlanta, but O'Hare is where dreams go to die.

Bob Adams
02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
180,000 miles on Delta last year, all domestic. I am not a fan of Atlanta, but O'Hare is where dreams go to die.

Except for perhaps the first flight of the day, does Delta EVER get to the gate on time?

Tom Wilkinson
02-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Their record looks pretty good to me actually. Most peope i know arent on time 90% of the time.
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=DL

Southwest has a worse record.
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=WN

As does American
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=AA

as does continental
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=US

as does us airways

aitran is slightly better with about 1/3 the flights
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=FL

and Jet Blue was behind all of them
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=B6

But let's not let any actual numbers get in the way of a good rant. :)

Peter Kalshoven
02-26-2012, 08:11 AM

I think I resemble that remark!

Actually, if you watched me interact with people, I always stand an extra foot back from folks so that they don't have to crane their heads, or have me looming over them. When I move into someone's personal space, I'm told that I get bigger... quickly. :) Size does have a quality all it's own, you know!

Paul Pless
02-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Their record looks pretty good to me actually. Most peope i know arent on time 90% of the time.
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=DL

Southwest has a worse record.
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=WN

As does American
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=AA

as does continental

as does us airways

aitran is slightly better with about 1/3 the flights
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=FL

and Jet Blue was behind all of them
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airline/airlineScorecard.do?airlineCode=B6

But let's not let any actual numbers get in the way of a good rant. :)

I don't believe that I disparaged Delta at all. . .

Peter Kalshoven
02-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Except for perhaps the first flight of the day, does Delta EVER get to the gate on time?

I used to hate flying Delta when I flew a lot. It's not just the delays, although they do seem to get more than their fair share. It's the corporate culture that permeates into every employee's actions... you know, "Hi, we're from Delta, and we hate our customers. Have a crappy day!" Maybe it's changed, but it always seemed that Delta folks just hated their job so much that their only joy came from passing along misery to us. It quickly led to me never flying Delta unless I absolutely had to.

Tom Wilkinson
02-26-2012, 08:24 AM
I don't believe that I disparaged Delta at all. . . .
Never said you did. I was responding to the post directly preceding mine. Guess i should hav quoted it.

For the other post following yours;
Delta has greatly improved their customer service. Several recent surveys have shown it.

Not excusing the poor attitudes in the past, but their were some pretty rough times morale wise in the industry. That much uncertainty is sure to bleed into attitudes even as counterproductive as it is. I've been there a long time so I am biased, but the culture really is better in nearly every area.

Give another try. We are working at it.

Paul Pless
02-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Never said you did. I was responding to the post directly preceding mine.Cool.

I actually don't see anything that happened regarding myu missed flights as being Delta's fault and to a 'T' I was treated very well by every from Delta that I dealt with on Friday night. But the Atlanta airport is well known for flight delays and missed connections, mostly due to weather - especially in the late summer.

I usually work around it by taking the earliest flight possible through Atlanta so that I have plenty of options to get home; as it happens I had to meet with clients at 1:00 p.m. Montgomery time which did not afford me an early flight possibility.

Tom Wilkinson
02-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Atlanta can be a bear in the summer with the thunderstorms. But nearly every major hub has some seson that gives problems at some time. Atlanta is pretty darn efficient overall, especially since they added runway bypasses at the ends to avoid crossing delays and the new international terminal should ease congestion when it opens.

C. Ross
02-26-2012, 08:51 AM

I'm more willing to give Delta another try than Atlanta. ;)

I've flown at least 75,000 miles on Delta every year since I think 2003 and im closing in on a million miles lifetime. The service has improved to a good level, and the link above says 94% of flights out of my home airport are on time which I believe. The only Delta-airport combo I dislike is Washington Reagan...too many cancellations and delays and the gate and counter staff are generally poor communicators and seem to make up rules and procedures on the fly.

Paul Pless
02-26-2012, 08:59 AM
The only Delta-airport combo I dislike is Washington Reagan...That's just a weird and 'unforgiving' terminal all way round. I dislike flying through there as well.

A few airports that I really like are DTW, Memphis and I much prefer flying into TFGreen than anywhere else north of New York. Logan sucks, not so much for the terminal itself, but when you leave it you have to deal with the convoluted tunnel and rental car agencies and ground transport mania. .

C. Ross
02-26-2012, 09:15 AM
That's just a weird and 'unforgiving' terminal all way round. I dislike flying through there as well.

A few airports that I really like are DTW, Memphis and I much prefer flying into TFGreen than anywhere else north of New York. Logan sucks, not so much for the terminal itself, but when you leave it you have to deal with the convoluted tunnel and rental car agencies and ground transport mania. .

Agreed on all those. Most small or medium sized city airports are OK. It's the big ones that have challenges IMO.

In that size category, in addition to your list Paul, I think some decent airports are: Minneapolis, Orlando, Raleigh, San Francisco

Not so good: Chicago O'Hare, Cincinnati, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles LAX, Miami ... probably a bunch more.

SMARTINSEN
02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
We usually go out of BWI, but a few weeks ago for the first time we flew from Reagan National to Hobby in Houston, pleasant surprises on both ends. Through Atlanta in the middle. So I guess that I am at odds, being a not so frequent flyer.

No body scanners at Reagan, at least at the gate that we went through, I suppose that we cannot subject our political elite to that kind of indignity.

Bob Adams
02-26-2012, 09:49 AM
I don't believe that I disparaged Delta at all. . .

It was me. I had no problem with the people, but the on time preformance was awful. Last 3 trips, all Baltimore/Atlanata. I conviced my managers to switch to Air Tran because of it.

C. Ross
02-26-2012, 09:53 AM
No body scanners at Reagan, I suppose that we cannot subject our political elite to that kind of indignity.

Depends on the set of gates. The low-numbered set of gates (14-22?) always use the scanner. It's the one airport where I am always scanned.

On the other hand, TSA has begun to roll out their Pre-Check program where you just have to take metal out of your pockets. Shoes and jacket stay on, toiletries and laptop stay in the bag. It's like traveling Pre-911, really more like 1980. You have to be a frequent flyer and go through some screening and pay $100 to sign up. Totally worth it.

SMARTINSEN
02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Depends on the set of gates. The low-numbered set of gates (14-22?) always use the scanner. It's the one airport where I am always scanned.

On the other hand, TSA has begun to roll out their Pre-Check program where you just have to take metal out of your pockets. Shoes and jacket stay on, toiletries and laptop stay in the bag. It's like traveling Pre-911, really more like 1980. You have to be a frequent flyer and go through some screening and pay $100 to sign up. Totally worth it.

Yes, I edited that post upon further reflection, probably the same time that you were typing yours. I liked the architecture at Reagan, it looked very 1955.

TSA certainly took whatever fun was left in flying, as if there were any in any event, to me it is just a big PITA.

The worst airport experience that I have ever had was at LAX.

Peter Kalshoven
02-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Delta has greatly improved their customer service. Several recent surveys have shown it.

Not excusing the poor attitudes in the past, but their were some pretty rough times morale wise in the industry. That much uncertainty is sure to bleed into attitudes even as counterproductive as it is. I've been there a long time so I am biased, but the culture really is better in nearly every area.

That's nice to know. However, flying Delta for me is like eating liver. Hated it so much years ago that I have no desire to try it again.

I still remember the flight attendant bragging that he didn't like it when a customer complained about something, so he got the customer kicked off the flight. Or the gate agents who lied about why a flight was canceled, blaming another airport for a plane not coming in. Turns out one of the other passengers standing and waiting there had come in on the "cancelled flight." Or... well, you get the idea. As the pilots used to say, "We do know that you have a choice in air travel" and I don't see any need to suffer through Atlanta or risk Delta if I don't have to. They may have fixed it, and I hope they have. But they lost me as a customer years ago, and I'll bet I'm not the only one.

johnwill
02-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Arriving passengers are sometimes scanned and searched at Tokyo Narita. If you have a metal belt buckle, a very cute and polite (of course) young lady asks, "may I put my hand behind your belt, please?". Then grabs you belt, pulls it forward and proceeds to explore the area with her other hand. Makes the whole trip worthwhile. I go through Narita every chance I get.

Mrleft8
02-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Arriving passengers are sometimes scanned and searched at Tokyo Narita. If you have a metal belt buckle, a very cute and polite (of course) young lady asks, "may I put my hand behind your belt, please?". Then grabs you belt, pulls it forward and proceeds to explore the area with her other hand. Makes the whole trip worthwhile. I go through Narita every chance I get.
I had a first date like that once.... But she wasn't Japanese..... Just "JAP" :D

BrianW
02-26-2012, 01:57 PM

I've been invited to participate in that program, but don't fly through the airports where it's used. So I declined.

The GOES program, where you enter customs through a kiosk is great.

Lew Barrett
02-26-2012, 06:10 PM
More people would loathe Seattle if more major carriers (apart from Alaska) hubbed out of here. The baggage service is very weak, making the place a royal pain for anybody who has to fly in regularly. And it is a small facility.

I think McCarran is a dreadful place but somehow it matches it's city perfectly. I suspect my view of the place is due largely to the pain of the taxi service especially when big trade shows are happening, which is really all the time. It's a lousy city for a car, a lousy city for mass transit, and a miserable place to get a cab. I came to the conclusion based on the sheer volume of flow, that McCarren is probably about as good as it can be under the circumstances but is wrecked by the city's woeful transportation infrastructure. I suspect that very few flights actually originate there, and that's always a source of problems as well. I can't count the number of times I've been delayed there, but then I have the same problem with SLC.
Running through that place, dragging your bags, gasping for air, trying to make a connection: priceless.

Denver strikes me as about the best of the hubs.

Paul Pless
02-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Denver strikes me as about the best of the hubs.

I haven't flown there yet, but I've been wanting to go see all the end times art they have. . .

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_sociopol/Denver3a.jpg

BrianW
02-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Strange. We've found McCarran and Vegas to be pretty easy.

We've rented cars twice, and had no problem with the self-parking at several hotels. The last time, we took a cab both ways (airport to strip,) and that was mixed. Going from the airport to the Strip the taxi line was long, but moved fast. It was evening, and February, so it wasn't hot. Going back to the airport, from the Venetian, the driver took the long way around, and he got no tip at the end of the ride.

Lew Barrett
02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Brian, I don't go to Vegas for "fun" and can't recall if I ever have. I had to go every year at least twice, sometimes more, for 35 years when I was working. I'd go to CES and NAB and then one of the smaller shows every other year. When you travel like that to Vegas, you don't want a car, also often can't even get one because 100,000 people before you had the same idea. They become cumbersome when you are moving between the Convention Center and hotels like the Hilton, and it becomes cheaper and easier to cab. But then, there aren't enough cabs. And buses? A joke.

If you are going to Vegas mid-week off season or between major shows, it is another story. As I said, I think McCarren works about as well as it can except when the surrounding infrastructure of cabs, buses and rental cars breaks down during peak use, which is the time most professional travelers are going to be there. Vegas and it's entire scene is not a pretty place during a CES show. For casual visitors off season, well, you'd never even notice. But they do have a lot of trade shows and frequent peak traffic, when they do that, it is ugly!

Lew Barrett
02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
I haven't flown there yet, but I've been wanting to go see all the end times art they have. . .

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_sociopol/Denver3a.jpg

Maybe get your chance when you visit here, except now we'll have to charter a boat and it will not be as pretty or old! Hopefully, they won't route you through SLC :D

Added: Minneapolis is fine. If you have any time, you get to have lunch with Cris!

CK 17
02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
She typed away for about five full minutes, talking to other gate agents busily through an earpiece the entire time, and doing a lot of frowning.

I'm still amazed that passenger service agents, and crews, still don't have a windows based system for getting information. imagine the time that could be saved. . . .At american eagle I think were still using DOS or something. . .

leikec
02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Vegas has the loudest speaker system of any airport--can't hear yourself think when they are making announcements.

Jeff C

C. Ross
02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Vegas and it's entire scene is not a pretty place during a CES show. For casual visitors off season, well, you'd never even notice. But they do have a lot of trade shows and frequent peak traffic, when they do that, it is ugly!

I was there last week (same time as Brian!) for a convention with a measly 35,000 attendees. But the cabs were running a work slow-down, apparently to protest the number of taxi medallions. A 45 minute wait for a cab! My group bailed out and grabbed a SUV/limo for 6 which was cheaper than 3 cabs.

The airport is so damn close to the Strip, and so many hotels are right on Las Vegas Avenue. It seems tailor made for a lightrail line!

switters
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Atlanta, home of the smoker aquariums.

At least you know the routine. Last week a friend of the ex-wife (#2) called and said ex-wife wasn't going on her "survived the cancer" cruise due to funds. Her friends got her a cabin but they had no way to get her there. Bye bye another free ticket I had been holding on to for mystic or some such and off she went. I hadn't realized this but she had never flown by herself before, always with me or one of her friends, and she was pretty stressed. I was so glad that the layover in Cleveland went well because if she had missed her flight I would have been the first one she would call, that would not have been fun.

Hmm, just reading over this and need to answer the obvious question, no she was diagnosed 4 years after the divorce was final.

Lew Barrett
02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
I was there last week (same time as Brian!) for a convention with a measly 35,000 attendees. But the cabs were running a work slow-down, apparently to protest the number of taxi medallions. A 45 minute wait for a cab! My group bailed out and grabbed a SUV/limo for 6 which was cheaper than 3 cabs.

The airport is so damn close to the Strip, and so many hotels are right on Las Vegas Avenue. It seems tailor made for a lightrail line!

Probably makes sense to have more cabs, by the way. I find long waits a for cab the rule and not the exception there. It happens in the AM when the show opens, then again in the PM when it closes (if you miss your bus) and then again through the whole dinner hour. But the ability to travel from the Coliseum to Manhattan to the Eiffel Tower and thence down the Nile to an overpriced cigar store must be worth it! And, there are pirates! AARRRGH!

Peter Kalshoven
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM

Well, Tom, you'll be happy to know that I gave Delta another try. And it sucked. And it can't be blamed on Atlanta, either, I was connecting through Detroit.

And in Detroit, the gate agent evidently had trouble with this really high tech device, a bar code scanner. I say that because she managed to mis-scan 5 of the 36 boarding passes. On an international flight. Oops. It then took 8 people about an hour to figure out who the 5 people were who weren't on the manifest. It was finally solved by a woman who called attendance until she found the 5. Took her 4 minutes. I guess the other 56 minutes were wasted trying to find the smart employee. So we were late into Toronto, and a bunch of folks missed connections.

Oh, and on the way back? I went to the gate agent and asked if there were any open seats in the emergency exit row. "No, the plane is full. Can't help you." Then when I got on the plane and the doors were closed, I got to pick from one of the three open seats in the emergency exit. So, either incompetent, lazy, or lying. Don't care which. Won't be back for a long time. I've got choices, and I'm choosing ABD. Anybody But Delta. You got more work to do, Tom. Sorry. But I did try.

BrianW
03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Looks like my major flying is going to switch from Delta to Emirates. After some prodding on my part, the company is taking advantage of Emirates new Seattle to Dubai direct flights. I see that Emirates doesn't have an "economy plus/economy comfort" section, but I hear their economy seats are pretty good. Also, they have their own terminal in Dubai which makes clearing passport control much faster. In the other terminal, there's always multiple international flights (big planes) arriving and it's taken me more than an hour to get through customs.

Now I've got to figure out how to use the 200,000 Delta miles I've got.

SamSam
03-14-2012, 05:40 PM
So my flight into Atlanta was delayed a couple of hours due to afternoon thunderstorms, which made me miss my connection. This **** happens all the time in Atlanta;
Yeah, it's like an astounding event to rain in Atlanta. I flew in, it rained and delay wasn't in it, all flights were cancelled. After hours in a line, I'm given a seat on a flight the day after tomorrow. Suggesting they should get me a room gave them a big laugh. Delta.

BrianW
03-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Oh, forgot to mention, Emirates and Alaska Air just joined mileage programs! Free Hawaii trips by this time next year!

Paul Pless
03-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Now I've got to figure out how to use the 200,000 Delta miles I've got.

http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/css/header-left2.png

Lew Barrett
03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/css/header-left2.png

Truly. I should have that problem!

BrianW
03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Good call Paul. ;-)

C. Ross
03-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Sorry you're all having Delta problems. I just flew round trip Minneapolis to San Francisco and home yesterday and today. Flight delayed by weather on the way to SFO, but crew was polite, kept us informed about status, yadda yadda. I was not thrilled when they bought Northwest, but its turned out fine.

But what do I do with my 744,000 miles on them? WBS roadtrip?!

Tom Wilkinson
03-14-2012, 10:08 PM
I hate to hear that you had problems Peter. The fact is we are working on it, and nearly every metric shows that. Are we going to be perfect all the time, no. I certainly can't answer why you had the problems you had, nor will I make excuses for it. I'm just a lead mechanic and know nothing of the workings of the areas you had issues.

I do know that the culture is changing and that it's a massive company dealing with some major changes from the northwest merger. Much of that has gone very smoothly and the results are more positive than negative.

C. Ross, glad it went well for you. And many of us at Delta weren't too happy about the northwest merger but it is turning out to be pretty positive. In a time when the economy is supposedly horrible we have managed to turn profits in a traditionally tough industry so we must be doing something right, not that you would know it from this thread, lol.

Paul Pless
03-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I do know that the culture is changing and that it's a massive company dealing with some major changes from the northwest merger. Much of that has gone very smoothly and the results are more positive than negative.

C. Ross, glad it went well for you. And many of us at Delta weren't too happy about the northwest merger but it is turning out to be pretty positive. In a time when the economy is supposedly horrible we have managed to turn profits in a traditionally tough industry so we must be doing something right, not that you would know it from this thread, lol.

I was skeptical of the merger, but it does seem to have gone well. I do miss my Northwest flight from DTW through Memphis (for barbecue) to Montgomery though. . .

I'll be coming through Atlanta on Friday at around 2:00 p.m. I assume you work in on of those giant Delta hangers???

Tom Wilkinson
03-14-2012, 10:45 PM
My office is in the hangar furthest from the terminal, but i work planes wherever I can get them in. Always have 3 or so in hat hangar and usually working a few outside and a few in the other two hangars. my dept typically works 10-16 a/c a night, mainly heavy overnight work, engine changes, strut repacks etc, but we do a lot of very heavy sheetmetal damage repair too. we are the main crew that handles out of town emergency maintenance. We usually have two or three crews somewhere in the world every day.