PDA

View Full Version : Jew Pond, New Hampshire May Get Name Change

Soundbounder
02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
The voters of a small New Hampshire town will have the final say on whether to change the controversial name of a local pond.

The small pond near the middle of Mont Vernon is known as Jew Pond. Town officials say it got its name back in the 1920s because the operators of a hotel that once stood next to it were Jewish.

The name recently got the attention of New Hampshire Bishop Peter Libasci. He wrote a letter to the local newspaper saying the name conveyed contempt and urged townspeople to change it. Residents will decide in the March 13 election.

Some residents told WMUR-TV that they don't find the name offensive and that it's part of the town's history.

http://boatinglocal.com/news/nh’s-jew-pond-may-get-name-change.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYjJQjd5mgQ&feature=player_embedded

Mrleft8
02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
No more offensive than Christianburg, IMHOP.....
One weekend, while visiting a friend in New Market, NH. listening to the radio..... The DJ came on for a station ID break.... "This is WHEB 'THE HEEB!' 105.7 on your FM dial!" (Or whatever the number is...) I about fell over laughing..... My friend, who'd grown up there was completely non-plussed..... "We've always called it that....."

Dan McCosh
02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
The idea of changing the name of Big Beaver Rd., in Oakland County, Mich., did come up, but was voted down.

Dave Gray
02-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Over the last few years many places that had the word "squaw" in them have been changed, mostly quietly, here in Oregon. It seems there were quite a few.

seanz
02-23-2012, 06:51 PM
I hope it returns to its' original name of Stark's Pond.

RichKrough
02-23-2012, 07:15 PM
This may be tough, Limey lake and Pollock pond were dropped from consideration.

Phillip Allen
02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
if it was named after an owner... how does THAT convey ugliness? If it had been a Catholic's pond and was called Catholic Pond...would that convey contempt or some such? Is 'Jew' a bad word like the 'N' word?

What is the world of PC doing to us???

skuthorp
02-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Developers just love changing the names of roads leading to their real estate. Over the years several have been voted down here. One comes to mind Dederang, a small town with a picnic racecourse dating back to about 1850. Name means 'Hailstones' in the local aboriginal dialect. Developer wanted to rename it Beauty Heights!

Vince Brennan
02-23-2012, 08:39 PM
The idea of changing the name of Big Beaver Rd., in Oakland County, Mich., did come up, but was voted down.

Near broke me heart, it did, when the Board of Beaver College in Glenside (about 2000' outside Philadelphia), an all-girls college in the '50's and '60's, changed it's name to Arcadia College a few years ago. No matter, the Dams are still as pretty as ever.

Soundbounder
02-23-2012, 08:56 PM
if it was named after an owner... how does THAT convey ugliness? If it had been a Catholic's pond and was called Catholic Pond...would that convey contempt or some such? Is 'Jew' a bad word like the 'N' word?

What is the world of PC doing to us???
I'm willing to bet in 1920's New Hampshire, it wasn't renamed Jew Pond as a term of affection.

Mrleft8
02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
To be honest, it probably started out something like "Jewett's Pond" or "Julia's Pond"...
Names get abbreviated, and misspelled, and before long the original is forgotten and the mistake is recorded....
There's a granite reef off of Sachem's head with a name that, although it's on numerous charts and maps, might get me reprimanded for typing..... It was renamed several years ago, but those of us who grew up here still refer to it by it's old name. If you asked me where the rock that it's called by now was, I'd tell you a different place off of Guilford point, which now doesn't exist, thanks to the Army Corps of Engineers.....

Soundbounder
02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
The idea of changing the name of Big Beaver Rd., in Oakland County, Mich., did come up, but was voted down.Proposition 69

Mrleft8
02-23-2012, 09:36 PM
And speaking of all that..... How does air lingus work anyway?..... Is it kinda like air guitar but....... You know..... Different?