PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly/Laguna Bandsaw?

chuckt
02-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Ya'll talked me out of the beam saw but I definitely need to upgrade my bandsaw. I currently have a 14" Delta which I am not happy with and which I feel pretty sure is not up to the task of cutting 6" black locust.

I set my budget at about $2,000 and was surprised to see Grizzly has a 5HP machine at this price! From poking around it seems people like their Grizzly machines. As near as I can tell, Laguna has comparable machines that are also well thought of. A little less HP a little more $. So I'm leaning to the Grizzly.

Thoughts?

Mrleft8
02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
What don't you like about your Delta 14"?
It may need tuning up, not replacing. I regularly re-sawed 6"+ stock on mine with the stock 1/2hp motor..... Blew the thermal overload a few times, but not very often. Wish I still had it.
If you're dead set on a new saw, the Laguna is overpriced for what it is. The Grizzly 18" has a good reputation, but I've not used a newer one...

Canoez
02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
The Delta is limited to 6-1/4" of resaw capacity unless you install a riser block in the frame. We've got one with the 6" riser and 105" blades and regularly resaw stock that is up to about 8" in width. Seems to work pretty well, but we've upgraded with a set of Carter guides.

I'd be cautious about the Grizzly stuff - some of the smaller Grizzly equipment isn't just inexpensive but cheap, IMO. (We have a smaller upright drill press with a "soft" rack on the column to adjust table height - just the weight of the table can cause the rack to bend, jamming it and causing other issues.)

chuckt
02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Hmm. I've tried tuning it. I have found that cutting heavier wood, e.g., white oak, the blade wanders and the machine gets bogged down. And the spindle holding the upper flywheel has twice broken on me because it is made out of really cheap metal.

And I apologize--I have the Porter Cable branded unit but I think it is the same as Delta.

Wish I could find something made in the U.S. Don't we make sh** here anymore??? I mean--besides hamburgers

Canoez
02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Sounds like a blade selection/set-up issue if the blade is wandering that badly. Don't have anything to offer regarding the spindle shaft. That shouldn't break.

Garth Jones
02-22-2012, 11:28 AM
You're options are really, really limited if you want a machine actually built in the US. Northfield makes some really awesome bandsaws in Minnesota, but they are all much larger (size and money) than you want. If I had the room for a Northfield 27" saw....

Grizzly has gotten much better in recent years - not perfect, but better. I have two Grizzly machines - a 15" planer w/spiral cutter head and a 19" bandsaw. They are both fine machines. The bandsaw has a 12" resaw capacity and is powerful enough to go through most anything. The only 'cheapness' on the saw are the plastic handwheels, but they don't affect operation. I've had it for about two years and been perfectly happy with it.

Grizzly does have a reputation for good customer service, which I have found to be true. Any time I have called them with a question they have been very helpful.

My $0.02....

Cheers,
Garth

Paul Girouard
02-22-2012, 11:37 AM
I looked at this new comer to the Griz fleet , seems like a good saw for what your wanting to do for a reasonable price ,

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0513P

Not made in the USA , but like the other guy said Griz have good , maybe excellent customer service , that has been my experience with them over the years anyway.

Robert W. Long
02-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Before buying anything sold by Laguna try google for customer service issues.

David G
02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Laguna does, indeed, seem like they're geared to the bucks-up hobbyist market. The doctor or lawyer who has a woodworking hobby. Plenty of professional woodworkers have them, too, but you do pay a premium. They are very solid saws... just a bit overpriced.

Grizzly has progressed form just another importer offering the same Taiwanese crap as all the other price-first suppliers - to a decent mid-range supplier. They've improved steadily to the point where they are now a decent no-frills option. It won't be long before they're doing battle with Powermatic and Delta. In some instances, it looks as if they already are.

I'd want to do some research before I bought another Grizzly tool, but if the reports come back positive, that saw LOOKS like a good'un.

Paul Girouard
02-22-2012, 11:49 AM
A buddy of mine has Luguna sliding table saw and band saw he's had trouble with parts , I 'd stay away from them based on his experiences, that right plural, trouble's .

Mrleft8
02-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Ah...... Porter Cable..... That's a different animal entirely.....
There may be no amount of tuning that'll get that saw working properly.....
Certainly for the $ you're willing to spend, you should be able to get a very nice mid-size saw that's either new, or very lightly used. One problem with used bandsaws is that people don't know how to tune them up, and keep them running properly, so they wind up getting abused and broken.
Look in Craig's list for your area, and see what's out there. Lots of used woodworking machinery available for low $$ right now.
A good older Delta/Rockwell 14 with a 1hp motor, riser block, and enclosed base is more than enough saw for most work you're likely to do (I cut curved braces in 8" White Oak for an entire 60'X100'X2 1/2 storey barn with one, and I wore out faster than the saw motor did).

chuckt
02-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Everytime I have bought something like this used I have regretted it. I've adopted the philosophy that, for anything remotely complicated, it's better in the long run to buy new and not buy someone else's cast off. The exception would be if I had the expertise to thoroughly evaluate the condition of the item or I knew the prior owner treated it well.

Frank R
02-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I have the Porter Cable branded unit but I think it is the same as Delta.

The Porter Cable brand is not the same as Delta. It is one of the many imitators of the Delta. All built overseas and of inferior quality. You can tell because the imitators have a flat top to the upper blade guard whereas the Delta is round. That was a trademark that Delta successfully sued all the imitators over.

At one time Delta and Porter Cable were owned by the same parent company. My understanding is they were always seperate lines of tools, Porter Cable for portable tools and Delta for machinery. Once they were seperate companies, Porter Cable introduced a bandsaw to compete.

I have never once heard of a Delta upper flywheel spindle breaking.

John How
02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
I have a grizzly band saw that I routinely resaw mahogany guitar backs and sides on, about an 8"depth of cut. The only thing I don't like about my bandsaw is the non standard blade length, 106" vs 105" and the 105" blade will not fit so I have blades welded up at the local saw shop. I also have a grizzly table saw that I have been using since 1986 with no problems.

J.Madison
02-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Maybe I'm biased because I'm a starving college kid but 2 grand is a ton of money for a hobbyist saw. This 3hp 18" saw cost me about $200 including the new guide bearings and start switch. Works great. Just to present another viewpoint.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l545/JMadison1/Lofting%20and%20Setting%20up/Loftingandmilling042.jpg

Ok I guess it looks kind of rough, but the function is superb in every way and you could make the replacement shield prettier than I did.

Alex D
02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
If you're looking for an American made saw up to the task, I seriously recommend looking at some of the older American saws. For a whole lot less than 2K you could have a decent 20" Delta, or bigger Crescent that need some TLC, but will be amazing saws after a bit of work (take a look at vintagemachinery.org or owwm.org, lots of great examples). There are also some great 16" saws from Walker Turner, Davis & Wells, etc. The great thing about the older stuff is that it was meant to last and to be repaired if needed. You can usually find the parts you need through the owwm.org site.

Or, for still less than 2K, you can probably find one of those saws that has been fully restored and ready to go. I found a 1047 Delta 14" saw for $200, put another $150 into it (new bearings and tires, and some paint) and it is a real treat to use. I resawed 6" boards with it all day long.

Just a thought.

Alex

Kudzu
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
I will second what Alex is saying. I am an old machine guy and love American made too. That is about the only way to buy American built tools now days is buy old tools. I don't mind restoring one myself but I realize that is not everyones idea of fun. There are used ones around that have been restored or maybe a ugly but in good working condition models well in your price range and better built than most new ones.

With that said, I will say for an import Grizzly has done a good job and the customer service has a great reputation. Before I discovered old machines and started restoring them I bought a 14" Griz. bandsaw and it has been a work horse. Only some minor problems with it. Wouldn't hesitate to resaw 6" lumber on it.

I do have a very old American 30" I got stalled on the restoration. But I find the 14" throat to small from what I do but so I want this big throat. But I can't complain about the Grizzly.

chuckt
02-22-2012, 02:27 PM
I have poked around for an old machine but can't find anything near me except old imports and I'm not spending money on one of those. Maybe I don't know where to look. I will check out places Alex mentions. It's sad isn't it? I would really like to purchase an American made machine. There just aren't any. I will check out the company that Garth mentions.

David G
02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Here's a used equipment outfit that many in the woodworking industry use:

http://www.exfactory.com/

Mrleft8
02-22-2012, 03:41 PM
This is a good saw in what looks like good condition.
http://columbia.craigslist.org/tls/2810431246.html

Mrleft8
02-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Just down the street from you too, by the address....

chuckt
02-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Nice find Doug. Thanks. I do want 3HP though. I'll hit cragislist

Garth Jones
02-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I just looked at the Northfield website. Their smallest saw is a 20" model. The standard motor is 3 phase, which is an issue for many folks. The other issue is the price - $8400!!! That was at this site: http://www.machinetoolsjwk.com/northfield%20Table%20Saws%20Planers.htm#

It might be less somewhere else, but still, for that you could buy an entire set of Grizzly machines.

My first Grizzly machine was the thickness planer, and I was a bit concerned when I got it. After about five years and many, many board feet of lumber, it has been totally reliable, and I am much more confident of Grizzly's products. At some point I am going to have to replace my aging table saw. My original plan was to find a good old used saw or buy a Unisaw, but the Grizzly saws are now in the running.

Cheers,
Garth

chuckt
02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Yeah--I found that as well Garth. Acutally I didn't see a price on the 20" but saw some others and figured that was not going to happen.

Finding some possibilities on Craigslist. A Rikon 10-345 near me. I think those have a good reputation.

Dusty Yevsky
02-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Before you lay out 2 large, first spend some coin on a high quality blade and tension it correctly. It may be that the PC BS is a POS but the vast majority of wandering blade problems are due to dull, poor quality blades and incorrect tuning/tension. Since I've been using Viking blades and using the flutter method of tensioning all my wandering, barreling and drifting problems have dissappeared. I've got a Delta 14 w/riser and can easily resaw 8" white oak to veneer thickness.

Mrleft8
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Rikon does not (IMHOP) have a good reputation. They have a reputation for being flimsy. You may be thinking of Nikon cameras. ;)
And 3Hp?...... Good god! What are you cutting, Cobalt?
Both my 20" and 30" saws have 2Hp motors, and never, ever even slow down. My 14" had a 1/2Hp motor, and that was a little weak, but fine for 90% of the work I used it for.

Mrleft8
02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
I like "Timber Wolf" blades that I get from Suffolk Machinery.
www.suffolkmachinery.com

chuckt
02-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey Doug--I did figure out 2HP should be okay. So funny you would mention that. Grizzly has some 2HP units between $900 to $1,200. Thanks for the word on Rikon. I guess I was looking at some bad info on the web.

hikingchrs
02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
I have a Delta 14" with a riser block and 1 1/2hp motor, when I changed the motor I changed the pulley to a smaller one. I have been very satisfied with it, cuts straight and faster than I can feed wood into it.... I am curious about your breaking spindle problem. Is this a newer imported version? mine is from the early 60's spent the first part of its life in a school woodshop.

SMARTINSEN
02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
I like "Timber Wolf" blades that I get from Suffolk Machinery.
www.suffolkmachinery.com (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com)

Seconded.

Frank R
02-22-2012, 08:46 PM
mine is from the early 60's spent the first part of its life in a school woodshop.

He has a Porter Cable, not a Delta.

My first Delta band saw was old too. I got it for free from an old auto plant. Was three phase and completely covered in several layers of brushed paint. It was my first old arn restoration project too. Used it for a few years and sold it to buy a new Delta. The reason? The new ones have hinged doors for blade covers. Much more convenient when changing blades and tracking them. Other than that, it was a virtually identical machine. Many interchangeable parts.

Mrleft8
02-22-2012, 09:27 PM
The new ones have hinged doors for blade covers. Much more convenient when changing blades and tracking them. Other than that, it was a virtually identical machine. Many interchangeable parts.
Another difference is that they changed from an octagonal guide post to a round one with a V notch in it. The octagon is far superior. The round ones require a lot of futzing around adjusting the guides when you raise the guide post. I have heard that Rockwell/Delta addressed that problem in some way, but I've never heard how it turned out.

davebrown
02-23-2012, 01:46 AM
I had a grizzly, I think 18" bandsaw. It was a little crude, and an unstoppable monster. I paid maybe $300 for it. I found a JET 18 brand new in the crate for $1000 and sold the grizzly. The grizzly did everything equally well as the Jet, for $700 less. I'm not saying the Jet is a bad saw, but you could buy band saws all day long for $750 on craigs and never have a bad deal, if you are careful with your inspection first. Second, I have never owned one but the Rikon 18s for sale at Woodcraft here, which store I loathe worse than HD, appear to be a a topnotch machine. Precise, solid, heavy duty...didn't Craftsman rebadge a Rikon 14 for a while also (I realize you want something larger)?

davidagage
02-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Chuck, I was able to get an old (60's vintage) Powermatic Model 81. It was 1.5 hp 3 phase so I bought a 2 hp single phase motor and swapped it out, put a new blade on it and started sawing. This thing is great. One day I will swap out the guide rollers but so far I am tickled with it.

Ed Armstrong
02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
I have the Grizzly 14 with the more powerful motor (1 hp I think), and I've been happy with the saw. I only build small boats, and the smaller saw has been sufficient for everything I do. I get a little bit of blade wander when resawing, but I think it's more of a tune-up/technique thing, then anything related to the quality of the saw. It's worked better since I bought a more expensive (Timberwolf) blade.

hikingchrs
02-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Another difference is that they changed from an octagonal guide post to a round one with a V notch in it. The octagon is far superior. The round ones require a lot of futzing around adjusting the guides when you raise the guide post. I have heard that Rockwell/Delta addressed that problem in some way, but I've never heard how it turned out.

Since I installed the riser block I have a round guide post in an octagonal hole, not the best situation but it is functional, they may have fixed the problem by cutting a keyway that the adjusting screw engages, it keeps the round post from turning in the hole.

rsblev
02-25-2012, 10:46 PM
I had a grizzly, I think 18" bandsaw. It was a little crude, and an unstoppable monster. I paid maybe $300 for it. I found a JET 18 brand new in the crate for $1000 and sold the grizzly. The grizzly did everything equally well as the Jet, for $700 less. I'm not saying the Jet is a bad saw, but you could buy band saws all day long for $750 on craigs and never have a bad deal, if you are careful with your inspection first. Second, I have never owned one but the Rikon 18s for sale at Woodcraft here, which store I loathe worse than HD, appear to be a a topnotch machine. Precise, solid, heavy duty...didn't Craftsman rebadge a Rikon 14 for a while also (I realize you want something larger)?

I actually bought that Grizzly bandsaw from DaveBrown a couple years back. It's an older 16" that is still running strong. After a little tune-up that saw has served me well through a few projects around the house, as well as some resaw work for my buddy as well. I recently bought a grizzly carbide blade for it, but I haven't installed it yet. Mostly, because I haven't needed to yet.
Randy

davebrown
02-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Hi Randy! Hope you are well. Hadn't seen you on here for a 'possum's age. Have you started your build yet?

rsblev
02-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi Randy! Hope you are well. Hadn't seen you on here for a 'possum's age. Have you started your build yet? Hey Dave. How's that Coquina coming along? I've been around. I just tend to lurk much more than I contribute here. Trying to absorb as much as possible, and I recognize that I'm not nearly as smart as the rest of y'all. My youngest and I just started lofting DGentry's Shenandoah Wherry. The plan is to make some patterns of the frames first, use 'em, and set 'em aside. We decided to attempt to build a sailing version of the wherry. That way, if we screw up too badly, we'll be able to go back and fix things without having to go back to square one.

Lew Barrett
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Since I installed the riser block I have a round guide post in an octagonal hole, not the best situation but it is functional, they may have fixed the problem by cutting a keyway that the adjusting screw engages, it keeps the round post from turning in the hole.

That is what they did, and what the general run of Asian pattern saws (all more or less Delta copies anyway) use to settle the thing in place.

The Grizz saws I have seen lately look just fine and seem to be good value to me. Of all the usual machine saws in a shop, the bandsaw is the one that most benefits from a good tune, a good blade and a light touch. The bandsaw is just about my favorite power tool.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-27-2012, 09:35 PM
A couple of months back, I bought a used Aykroyd dinghy mast and some hardware from a guy about 2 hours away. He was a guitar maker, Norton bike enthusiast, sailor etc. He had two bandsaws in his shop for resawing lumber for guitar backs. One was a 490 General, a 15 saw made in Canada, and the other one was the General International 20 inch saw. He thought both were very good, but the 490 was his first choice.

I find whenever you actually need to buy a good used tool they hide. Always the way, but if you are seriously on the hunt Chuck, something will come up.

My personal saw is a early sixties Delta Rockwell 14 inch, with the gearbox in it to slow it down to as little as 30 FPM for metal cutting. I would keep it just for that purpose even if I get a bigger saw. What I really need is a bigger shop :D

chuckt
02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
I decided on this. Just couldn't find anything on Craigslist that I wanted and I am happy with the price ($1,325) for a 3HP machine with a good reputation

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss151/cmeke0870/Concordia/g0514xf.jpg

Mrleft8
02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
I like that it has that eye bolt on top so you can suspend it from the ceiling, out of the way when you're not using it.... :D

Lew Barrett
02-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Good eye, Mr. Doug! It's useful for those times when you are cutting a hunk and you need to guide the saw rather than the wood!

Paul Girouard
02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
I decided on this. Just couldn't find anything on Craigslist that I wanted and I am happy with the price ($1,325) for a 3HP machine with a good reputation

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss151/cmeke0870/Concordia/g0514xf.jpg

Please report back when you get it set-up and let us know how it works out. Why did you spring for this one over the G0513P I posted , other than the tall re-saw fence the 15 comes with, isn't it pretty much the same saw?

ETA: I see it's a 19" , I was thinking the 13 / 14 , was saw capasity

ccolton
02-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Hi Chuck,

Did you buy the saw listed in your last post? If so, congratulations. If not, I have some comments to make that may be of interest. I will leave it at that for now except to say that you might want to consider the Hammer N4400 - not US built but built in Austria. Good quality and good value.

Good luck, Chris

Mrleft8
02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Please report back when you get it set-up and let us know how it works out. Why did you spring for this one over the G0513P I posted , other than the tall re-saw fence the 15 comes with, isn't it pretty much the same saw?

ETA: I see it's a 19" , I was thinking the 13 / 14 , was saw capasity

You in the market for a bandsaw Paul?...... :D

Paul Girouard
02-28-2012, 04:13 PM
You in the market for a bandsaw Paul?...... :D

Always thinking ahead Lefty.

chuckt
02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Yes--I bought it.

Paul--I decided to go with a little more horsepower. I was thinking about all that tough black locust I must cut up.

Lew Barrett
02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi Chuck,

Did you buy the saw listed in your last post? If so, congratulations. If not, I have some comments to make that may be of interest. I will leave it at that for now except to say that you might want to consider the Hammer N4400 - not US built but built in Austria. Good quality and good value.

Good luck, Chris

Different price point. The Hammer approaches the cost of an MM16 which is also a well regarded unit, albeit a bit smaller than the Grizzly, though probably no lighter.

ccolton
02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Hi Lew,

Chuck said his budget was $2000 - N4400 delivered is $2000. I think the MM16 is significantly more.

Chris

Ron Williamson
02-28-2012, 07:19 PM
How stiff are these stamped steel saws?
The general Internationals are willowy compared to cast iron ones.
R

Lew Barrett
02-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi Lew,

Chuck said his budget was $2000 - N4400 delivered is $2000. I think the MM16 is significantly more.

Chris

That's true, but it looks like he paid about half of that!

I'm on the Minimax email list and once in awhile they offer specials that gets them down a bit. I'd be happy with any of the tools here and the Hammer looks nice, and good value for a European made saw. Thanks for posting it Chris.

chuckt
02-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Looks like the N4400 is $2,195 before shipping. But it's 4HP! Cool. But it did not pop up in my research

Ron--Are you saying the Grizzly is stamped steel? It does not seem so to me. Maybe you mean the frame. Some are cast iron and these are described as "reinforced steel"

chuckt
02-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Hey--while I have your attention, tell me what blades to buy for resawing locust and for roughing out my deadwood and sternpost pieces. I'll be resawing a lot for my frame laminations.

Ron Williamson
02-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Chuck
I have no idea if they are stamped/ reinforced steel.
I was making an assumption based on the boxy shape.
I was trying to compare them to cast iron.
If you push down on the front edge of the table while pushing back firmly on the lowered and locked blade guides you'll see what I mean.
On a cast saw like a 14" Delta, there is very little deflection in any direction.(Hey that's poetry)
On my new-to-me steel 24" Centauro there is even less,but it's Italian industrial.
R

Mrleft8
02-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey--while I have your attention, tell me what blades to buy for resawing locust and for roughing out my deadwood and sternpost pieces. I'll be resawing a lot for my frame laminations.

1. A 1/2" 6Tpi Skip -General work fine cut.

2. A 1/2" 3Tpi Hook tooth Resawing hard stock up to 6"

3. A 3/4" 4-3Tpi Variable pitch -Resawing bigger pieces, and softer pieces.

I recommend Suffolk machine. WWW.Suffolkmachinery.com

ccolton
02-29-2012, 08:57 AM
That's true, but it looks like he paid about half of that!

I'm on the Minimax email list and once in awhile they offer specials that gets them down a bit. I'd be happy with any of the tools here and the Hammer looks nice, and good value for a European made saw. Thanks for posting it Chris.

Hi Lew,

Minimax makes a great machine! I have never read anything other than great reviews and I have a friend who owns one and is thrilled with it. I looked hard at the minimax when I bought my N4400, a couple years ago, and it is truly a beautiful machine. They have a great video that details construction and use - impressive.

Chris

ccolton
02-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Hi Chuck, first, congratulations again - it's always fun when you convince the "Admiral" that you really need a new tool and then it actually comes! I am like a kid at Christmastime.

I owned the Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-Extreme-Bandsaw-3HP-Single-Phase/G0514X2 for a while and it has some really great features. I loved the mechanism for tilting the table - solid and easy to use. The fence system is great and the guides run with the blade - that makes sense to me. Also, I never had any problem re-sawing any thickness of wood - plenty of power. Grizzly's customer service is exceptional. Two things that I would check immediately and then after a month, six months; etc. Make sure the table top is flat - flat to your standards and theirs. I think Grizzly allows for a 3mm differential across the entire top. Check the guides and the set pins; specifically, that the pins do not damage the rods as they hold the cams in place. As I said, Grizzly has great service and if you notice any problems, they will replace parts.

I think you will be very happy with this saw! Good luck!

With regard to blades, the best lower-cost blade I have ever used is the woodslicer from Highland woodworking: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer34resawbandsawbladescustomlengthc143to17 2.aspx

I now use a carbide blade manufactured from the same people who make the Timberwolf baldes. 1" 2/3 pitch variable pitch blade:http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/carbide-tipped-blade/
I like it, but the cut is not as smooth as I had hoped - it's just as smooth as any I have seen, so maybe my expectations were out of line!

I have had several woodslicer blades over the years and realy like them - thin kerf and keep cutting. I have not cut that much wood with my carbide tipped blade - my hope is that it will last for a very long time and ultimately be worth the extra up-front cash.

Have fun!

Chris