PDA

View Full Version : Calling all old friends

Meli
02-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Greece,

I just rang some very very, dear friends of mine in Kos.
Never mind who's responsible, ordinary people over there are hurting BAD.
My friends work in tourism. They are 2 months behind in their rent. Have had no income since summer ended.
Michalis usually works over winter, fixing boats, painting for the next season. No work this winter.
his wife works arranging tours for summer, no work.

I've sent them a little to help tide them over til the season starts.
Greeks are proud people, they wont tell you If you dont ask.
Michalis says the church is feeding 1000 people per day on a small island.

So If you have friends over there on the islands, give em a call, if just to say "how you going"

Mel

I'll post this upstairs

Meli
02-22-2012, 06:52 AM
I've C&P ed all BF's political responses from "people and places" down here.
I dont want someone compaining about the political content and scot poofing the post.

BF "Yeah... so they'll fix it all up with a bit more debt.

When will these nongs learn the basics of economics?"

Me "BF, if you want to trash this thread, I've posted it down in the bilge. trash it there and let it stand as it is up here, a plea for our friends.
Otherwise as you know well, someone will complain and Scot will have to delete it from here.
So complain downstairs please."

BF "What on earth are you on about now?

Forget the trashing allegations for once and understand that your opinion just maybe isn't the world's only viewpoint. I've expressed a viewpoint that others share.... for example the British Government.

I saw this thread, responded to it and noticed the OCD-like copies later.

Where is my supposed complaint? I haven't complained. I haven't repeated my comments on the carbon copy threads.

Maybe you should restrict your posting activities to more sober moments if you don't want responses to your threads?

BF "I don't believe the EU has suggested anything of that nature. Haven't the lenders actually made significant concessions?

Sorry, but the electorate can't get off Scot-free on this one. They were happy to suck on the debt teat until it ran bone dry.

The post in P&P is for friendship and help to those of us who have friends there.
Please put political/ecconomic opinion on the situation here. I dont want Scot to have to Poof the threads upstairs.
Thanks

Paul Pless
02-22-2012, 07:01 AM
So is this thread about Greece or BigFella? I'm confused. . .

Greeks are proud people, they wont tell you If you dont ask.You must listen to a different news service than do I.

The Bigfella
02-22-2012, 07:04 AM
So is this thread about Greece or BigFella? I'm confused. . .

You must listen to a different news service than do I.

I do believe I'm targeted.

Meli
02-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Hey, I live in the second largest Greek city in the world!!
And have lots of friends there.

Efaristo! :p

Chris Coose
02-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Stepping into this without much background reads bat**** crazy all over it.

Meli
02-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Heh, just read the OP and ignore the rest Chris

The Bigfella
02-22-2012, 07:15 AM
Stepping into this without much background reads bat**** crazy all over it.

Its a funny way to run a thread.... C&P a whole heap of bits without the other posts and comments by others.

Strange and stranger....

Ian McColgin
02-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Meli, we have all manner of people on this Forum, including some who either in general or selectivly find reasons to trash and blame victems of economic misfortune, as The Bigfella did. We also have the wonderful and salutory tradition of answering the mean spirited, as in fact happened fast, clear and without rancor up in the PP version of this thread.

It's a good thing when the meanspirited can express themselves and then be answered by the generous of heart. In the present example, the news is heavily laden with accounts of how the Germans, for example, don't want to support those lazy coddled parasitic Greeks. Having a lucid response that makes clear exactly how innocent people are suffering helps clarify the issues of public accountability versus private consequences.

We have a number of Forum members who seem to follow some particular other member's posts and threads and who seem always to find an excuse to inject something negative, often so far off-point that one cannot even figure out what's up beyond some strange internet emnity. In this case, The Bigfella actually made a point being made loudly by Greece's creditors. Your threads, including those negative remarks and the wonderful responses to them, make for a positive whole that actually would be lessened without The Bigfella's dark shadowing.

Meli
02-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks Ian :)

Ted Hoppe
02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
I wonder if there will another mass european (starting with the greeks) migration to Austrilia. I am sure the call is out to family and friends. conversations are now open and the gates too.

If I was Greek... I wouldn't be above eating some kangaroo and sleeping under big fellas roof if it meant a job and security for my family. It is as simple as giving a man a fish or giving him the ability to fish successfully.

Meli
02-22-2012, 09:07 AM
You're not wrong.
When I rang Michalis he was checking out Australian stuff. (he grew up in Sydney and is an australian citizen.
His brother is already over here. He's got 2 jobs in Sydney
I offered him and his family accommodation If he cant see it through.
He says a lot of Australian greek families are heading back here.
Melbourne has the seccond largest greek community in the world after Athens. :D
Welcome home :)

MiddleAgesMan
02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
You are to be congratulated for your compassion, Mell. :)

As for the BF--not so much. :(

In a similar vein, I just spent the weekend with a large group of my extended family, most of whom are adherents of a very fundamental religious sect, one that dictates every aspect of their lives including their politics. BF reminds me of them--they KNOW what they know because they learned it from their god. Their god is supposedly in heaven looking down on this evil world. BF's god is whatever is best for BF.

Meli
02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Eh, but when I say these are my friends, I mean my friends.
Betty and I got preggers a year apart, we lived with her dad in Holland, we squeezzed into their place in Kalymnos. I wrote the flyer for their taverna. They lived with us in Amesterdam.
Their sons played with my kids.
They are my mates

The Bigfella
02-22-2012, 05:32 PM
You are to be congratulated for your compassion, Mell. :)

As for the BF--not so much. :(

In a similar vein, I just spent the weekend with a large group of my extended family, most of whom are adherents of a very fundamental religious sect, one that dictates every aspect of their lives including their politics. BF reminds me of them--they KNOW what they know because they learned it from their god. Their god is supposedly in heaven looking down on this evil world. BF's god is whatever is best for BF.

Geez, with smooching like that, you'll be a favourite in no time at all. I note that you conveniently ignored the blatant discombobulation and selective recombulation of comments from a different thread.... and you apparently missed the quoting errors too. Quite a bitter and twisted way to run a thread, don't you think?

By all means show your compassion to those who are suffering. There's many more out there suffering, most of them with less control over the causes of it than the Greeks. As Meli pointed out, the church is feeding the Greeks. I prefer to direct my compassion towards those without such support mechanisms.

Glen Longino
02-22-2012, 05:39 PM
You're to be discombobulated, er...I mean, congratulated for your compassion too, Ian!:)

The Bigfella
02-22-2012, 05:49 PM
You're to be discombobulated, er...I mean, congratulated for your compassion too, Ian!:)

I'm just a caring, sharing, new age kinda guy, Glen.

Glen Longino
02-22-2012, 06:44 PM
I figgered!:)

MiddleAgesMan
02-22-2012, 06:47 PM
I did not rely on snippets from the other thread, BF. I went to the source and can easily see that Mell was cutting you some slack that you don't deserve. Your ejaculations on her original thread were cold and creepy.

But, please, have a blessed day. :(

Not.

The Bigfella
02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I did not rely on snippets from the other thread, BF. I went to the source and can easily see that Mell was cutting you some slack that you don't deserve. Your ejaculations on her original thread were cold and creepy.

But, please, have a blessed day. :(

Not.

Are you always such a charmer? Or is it only when Meli's looking on?

.... and just as a matter of interest, how come, if you went to the other thread, you chose to slag me on this one?

MiddleAgesMan
02-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Here's the short version, BF. I think you're a bloviating liar who wants the world to think you're a big shot. I think 99 percent of the stuff you put up on the WBF is total BS, concocted to make you appear to be something you aren't. I think you are a flunky of the first order and I will be calling you out from this point forward.

But I don't know what slag means.

The Bigfella
02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Here's the short version, BF. I think you're a bloviating liar who wants the world to think you're a big shot. I think 99 percent of the stuff you put up on the WBF is total BS, concocted to make you appear to be something you aren't. I think you are a flunky of the first order and I will be calling you out from this point forward.

But I don't know what slag means.

Mate.... I'm no big shot. I just get out and do my bit. That, funnily enough, has meant that I come into contact with some interesting people.

I enjoy life.

I also get sick of losers who wish things were different without ever getting off their arses to actually make a difference.

Call away all you want. You'll not complain when I hold a mirror up, pointed your way though, will you?

Larks
02-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Meli, I read your first post and thought "bloody good on you, and a good idea for a thread" and started to put my mind to who I might know in Greece.......for a few seconds.......

then I read your second post and I have to say, I can't blame Chris Coose one iota for thinking and writing what he did. It certainly ruined any concept of what I thought the thread was about once I realised that it was just a platform to set up an attack on Ian.

Wake up to yourself Meli, delete this thread, get on with your own life and stop obsessing about Ian

purri
02-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Meli,

I've associated with Greki for most of my life. What I find confusing is that Oz is the land of opportunity for many generations but many (note; not all) are quick to return to the ancestral homeland while disparaging much of what Oz as a whole has given them. (A long stay in hospital also made me aware that many of the elderly are quick to dismiss other staff while demanding in Greek that they be treated by staff of Greek heritage). So your mates want to return, I posit that they have no emotional attachments here and only see the place as able to be exploited as they wish it. Tell them to stay there eh?

Same goes for other origins but it (to me) is more apparent of the above.

Meli
02-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Nah Purri,
Michalis was born in Kalymnos. family fled here to escape the Junta when he was about 2.
He grew up in Sinny. His mum was homesick and they went back when he was 12.
Then been back and forward with the merchant Navy tilhe met his dutch wife in Australia.
Went to greece to look after his Aged parents and kinda got stuck.
He's been waiting on a big project to resolve for about 10 years and is as frustrated at the local corruption as are many many "normal" Greeks.
The Junta and commo's never really went away.

Meli
02-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Nah Purri,
Michalis was born in Kalymnos. family fled here to escape the Junta when he was about 2.
He grew up in Sinny. His mum was homesick and they went back when he was 12.
Then been back and forward with the merchant Navy tilhe met his dutch wife in Australia.
Went to greece to look after his Aged parents and kinda got stuck.
He's been waiting on a big project to resolve for about 10 years and is as frustrated at the local corruption as are many many "normal" Greeks.
The Junta and commo's never really went away.

I've known B&M for 20 years

purri
02-23-2012, 03:51 AM
Think it through very closely Meli. Then get back to me.

Meli
02-23-2012, 06:37 AM
I have and sent betty an extra 200 bucks to buy herself a nice frock :D