PDA

View Full Version : Target knows when your kid gets pregnant!!!

hokiefan
02-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Creepy and not surprising all at the same time.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/818/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/ (http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/818/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/)

Cheers,

Bobby

fishrswim
02-18-2012, 01:25 AM
If you think it's only Target who knows stuff you thought no one knew, you're in for a really BIG surprise. Do you use google, facebook, you tube, shop at Ace, Safeway, .......................?

Phillip Allen
02-18-2012, 04:59 AM
and you guys like to bash walmart...

Meli
02-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Simple solution. Dont give any retailers your details. don't use fly buys, petrol tokens or any of that marketing crap.
I never get junk mail or addressed mail form retailers. Might cost me a few bucks, but my privacy is worth it

Phillip Allen
02-18-2012, 05:15 AM
Simple solution. Dont give any retailers your details. don't use fly buys, petrol tokens or any of that marketing crap.
I never get junk mail or addressed mail form retailers. Might cost me a few bucks, but my privacy is worth it
yep

Meli
02-18-2012, 05:20 AM
yep
It's a left wing thing :D :p

Phillip Allen
02-18-2012, 05:24 AM
It's a left wing thing :D :p

closely connected with 'people control' and animal husbandry in general

MiddleAgesMan
02-18-2012, 05:52 AM
I recently wrote an email in which I mentioned doing some welding many years ago. When I had sent the email I noticed a pop-up at the top of the page directing me to a welding supply retailer in the area.

Captain Intrepid
02-18-2012, 06:20 AM
//shrugs// I'm not too worried. As far as I'm concerned it's merely one step further than the clerk noticing I'm buying a hacksaw and suggesting I buy spare blades.

Barry
02-18-2012, 10:21 AM
I recently wrote an email in which I mentioned doing some welding many years ago. When I had sent the email I noticed a pop-up at the top of the page directing me to a welding supply retailer in the area.

You need to block the LSO cookies. This is all creepy. Firefox has an add on called "Better Privacy" to remove the LSOs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_shared_object

hokiefan
02-18-2012, 12:32 PM
and you guys like to bash walmart...

Walmart does all the same stuff. This article was about Target because the guy at Target talked to a reporter before he was told to shutup. All the big retailers do this to one degree or another.

Cheers,

Bobby

George Jung
02-18-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm a relative newby to facebook, but have already figured out it's essentially impossible to block anyone from viewing at least parts of it. My one daughter figured if she didn't 'friend' me, I couldn't see hers. Ha! piece'o'cake! So I've been working ours over, attempting to preserve at least some privacy.

The pop-up ads are unnerving; have to try Firefox again. Thanks.

When I have to give phone numbers, etc., I simply give the number of my old business. Hehehe....

john welsford
02-18-2012, 05:25 PM
I dont consider myself paranoid, but do admit to being somewhat defensive of my privacy. My unlisted phone account goes to my accountant who does all my bill paying and bins all the junk mail, I don't carry a chipped credit or debit card so cant be tracked when in a mall or big shop and pay cash so cant have purchases analysed, have been known to leave a purchase on the counter and walk out when told that I have to give a phone number and address for a cash sale (Bond and Bond, Noel Leemings and Harvey Norman all do this, for Kiwis) and have a big no junk mail notice on my letterbox.
Dont have a cellphone, ( the family has a pre pay which is our travel or emergency phone but of course it has no name or address on the account) and while all this does not avoid all the intrusions it does greatly reduce same.

Its also a really good way of relieving stress when you are having a bad day to do something like send a trespass notice to a real estate company that persists in dropping advertising in that clearly marked letterbox, or returning a catalogue post unpaid so they have to go to the post office and pay double postage to retrieve a package only to find its their junk mail come back with a polite note saying that this had been delivered to this address by mistake, and as it is obviously valuable one thought one should return it. All petty in a way, but its biting back at a culture that can be seriously intrusive.

John Welsford

This stuff is overwhelmingly more pervasive than many people would think. These days (around here, at least) shopping in a supermarket DEMANDS that you have an affinity card or barcode tag for your keyring, because the big discounts are only available to people who have them... and the supermarket database knows EVERYTHING you buy, and targets/tailors their direct advertising based on that info. Many of the more sophisticated websites do the same thing; merely browsing to a site can invoke a mail advertisement. For example, I browsed a couple of sites looking for info on professional liability insurance, didn't leave ANY info, but got a mail advertisement a few days later from an insuror specializing in that kind of coverage.

Anyone who is an Amazon customer, for example, sees a ton of targeted email advertising. Browse, like I did, for a new random orbital sander, and you'll get a half dozen emails from Amazon offering deals on random orbital sanders... even if you had no intention of buying one.

It is basically unavoidable, unless you carry no credit cards, don't use the internet, and shop with cash only... and I'm sure there are some paranoid people who do that.

I don't really worry about it... I just accept it as the reality of the modern era. It is a self-limiting phenomenon, I think.... people increasingly tune out the irrelevant, which diminishes the power of the advertising push. We noticed this in our own business; while the marketing gurus say that people need a minimum of three 'exposures' to notice your email, doing more than that is counter-productive.

elf
02-18-2012, 05:44 PM
AdBlock. I haven't seen an ad on FB or any web site since I installed it. Plugin for FireFox and Safari, probably also for IE and Chrome.

Every once in a while I discover that it really works - you know those ad pages that count down while you wait to see the page you linked to? There was one NYT page I wanted to see and every time I went there I got a white screen for 10 seconds before it took me to the page. At first I didn't get it, then I noticed the url said "/advertisement". Ah ha!

MiddleAgesMan
02-19-2012, 09:38 PM
My welding supply pop-up was just a contrasting color line and a half of text, not really an ad and not the typical pop-up that appears on top of the current window. This was on gmail. I've had something similar happen several times with gmail but don't consider a line of text much of a problem. It's even less intrusive or noticeable than the paid listings you get when you do a google search. Now if I was sending covert emails about criminal activity I might be motivated to do something about it. :)