PDA

View Full Version : Sponsons spotted in Montreal

mucrewbtp
02-08-2012, 04:30 PM
A couple of weeks ago while on a layover in Montreal I decided to go for a walk around the old Montreal and through the Vieux Port area. I brought my old Leica III loaded with Tri-X along with me because it was a nice sunny day and I figured the port would provide some good subject matter. As I approached the far end of the old port near the Montreal Yacht club I saw that only one boat remained in the frozen marina. The shape of the hull seemed strangely familiar so I walked down into the marina to get a closer look.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/mucrewbtp/---_0058.jpg

On closer inspection my suspicions were confirmed, I had in fact found the "Absolu 80" the sponson clad homebuilt that enjoyed some fame on one of Mr. Lenihan's threads a while back.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/mucrewbtp/---_0060.jpg

I believe these are the first shots on the forum to prove that the thing actually floats, and is in charter service in some capacity so I thought I would share.

Regards,
Mike

Figment
02-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Oh I think we'll need to see it in liquid water before declaring anything proven! :D

Ian McColgin
02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Good eye. Looks like they built to the oil can standard that makes for the dimpling plates.

Sailor
02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Is that ever ugly. I agree we need to see her in liquid water though.

Yeadon
02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
What's the name of that boat? Anook 80? Can anybody make out the lettering?

JayInOz
02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
" On closer inspection my suspicions were confirmed, I had in fact found the "Absolu 80" the sponson clad homebuilt that enjoyed some fame on one of Mr. Lenihan's threads a while back."

Please pay attention Yeadon- there'll be a test later:) JayInOz

Ian McColgin
02-08-2012, 05:52 PM
She looks better on her web page

http://www.absolu80.com/croisiere_montreal.jpg

BBSebens
02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Well Im glad it worked out for them. Aesthetics aside, it was no small undertaking. They deserve some credit.

rbgarr
02-08-2012, 06:26 PM
A whale watch head-boat married to a Bayliner....

johnno
02-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Shanty boat??

Woxbox
02-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Does my memory serve rightly -- wasn't that top deck a solid structure at one point? Is it possible they had to chop it off and replace it with canvas to reduce weight aloft?

BrianW
02-09-2012, 12:23 AM
That poor boat never gets any respect. :)

Must say, it also seems like the loneliest boat in the world. While especially true in this latest series of pictures, even in the past it seemed isolated from the rest of the fleet.

Lewisboater
02-09-2012, 08:51 AM
That poor boat never gets any respect. :)

Must say, it also seems like the loneliest boat in the world. While especially true in this latest series of pictures, even in the past it seemed isolated from the rest of the fleet.

Elephant boat...heart of gold but outside.....YEESH!

BarnacleGrim
02-09-2012, 09:06 AM
I've had them on watch on MarineTraffic for at least a year. It has been under way on the St. Lawrence river, but mostly it has dropped in and out of range at the dock. Either bad reception, or they have been switching their AIS on and off all the time.